Hakata Izakaya HERO: A Pictorial Essay

That’s enough to get me to try it. I did takeout once (sashimi platter, which I enjoyed) but have never dined in.

Any unagi-don on the menu?

1 Like

Yes but we didn’t order it. I love unagi but it seemed like a lot of food and we wanted to try more items.

We had a quick dinner here Friday night for the first time and I have to say I’m ashamed it took us so long.
Everything was fantastic. The teba gyoza, the regular gyoza, jidori karaage, kimchee (so good), agedashi tofu, pickled baby eggplant, pork belly w/scallion skewers, yakiniku-ish beef… and Suntory Pure Malt! Less than a mile from home! I hope to be here a lot more often.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Sold! Gonna have to try it now!

3 Likes

We had the unagi don Friday and it was, again, excellent.

3 Likes

Great report, @js76wisco! Hiro does have an aura about him that is somewhat like the master from Midnight Diner.

4 Likes

True.
He laughs a whole lot more.
His customers, myself excluded, tend to be less dysfunctional.
Nut when peering out from the kitchen there is a resemblenace.

2 Likes

How I wish his establishment on Westwood Blvd. was open into the wee hours of the night…

5 Likes

You ordered well. I love this Izakaya.

3 Likes

Is there outdoor seating available? The listed phone # doesn’t work. I know they’re open today, though, b/c they posted an IG pic. Was thinking of going tonight.

Edit: Never mind. They do have outdoor seating, but they don’t think they can accommodate tonight until 9PM. So, if you plan to go, make a reservation!

5 Likes

what are the go to’s here??? Ive heard great things!!

If you read up-thread there are lots of recommendations - it’s hard to go wrong.
I think the biggest decision is if you are going for the pork or pork intestine hot pot - something he is heralded for. We do a hot pot every once in a while but mostly concentrate on whatever specials sound good, sashimi plate if we are in the mood, Devil’s cucumber, spicy tofu, stuffed chicken wings (teba gyo) are must, a skewer. karaage and end with the yaki champon or yaki ramen noodle. Since there are so many excellent small plates and only so much room in our stomach we like to go as a foursome to try as much as possible. But I have gone alone too and been very happy.

9 Likes