Half a turkey...what to make with it?

A friend fried a turkey and literally gave me half of it to take home. What to do with it?

I am not eating flour right now, fyi. Otherwise I would just make soup or sandwiches. I’ve been putting it in salads, sick of that.

Thanks

You don’t need flour for soup. Just boil the whole thing, carcass and all, with some vegetables and some aromatics.

Tetrazzini? I don’t have a recipe but — guilty pleasure — Stouffer’s is kept in the freezer for “emergencies.”

1 Like

What’s the old saying? Everything’s better in a tortilla?

3 Likes

I’d take the meat off the bones, make stock with the bones, make soup with the stock, onions, carrots, celery, maybe beans and/or barley, and whatever other vegetables sound good, and add some of the meat back at the end.

Maybe use some of the meat to make some sort of stir-fry with cabbage or broccoli.

Maybe make stuffed cabbage with a tetrazzini-ish filling.

Tetrazzini is made with (flour) noodles.

How about a curry? Make a curry base with onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and then add the turkey towards the end just to warm it up. You could add in some cubed sweet potatoes or canned chickpeas too if you want.

Deep fried turkey fried rice

Deep fried turkey omelette

Deep fried turkey with breakfast potatoes

Deep fried turkey with jalapeño cheese hoecakes

What??

what is a hoecake? :slight_smile:

What are you whating me about? I usually put noodles in my soup. I guess I could make a turkey and veggie soup.

I expect that diets low in high-glycemic-index carbohydrates will eventually be more popular than vegetarianism. I should open a topic on that.

1 Like

I like rice in soup.

Just a cornmeal cake with lots of butter.

We always make Turkey Gumbo with the leftovers. The Roux demands flour and duck fat. And it is served over rice.

The world of soups is much larger than just gumbo. In fact, I would daresay that the subset of soups without flour is significantly larger than those with flour.

Chilaquiles!!

I would make turkey meatballs, and serve them over polenta (made with turkey stock).

don’t know how to make.

and just how to turn this cooked turkey into meatballs.

De-meat the meat from the carcass, then finely chop, then use some combo of egg, caramelized onions, ricotta (or other cheese) or mashed potatoes as binder. Pan fry in some EVOO, or steam to prevent drying out the meatball.

Or just follow this recipe and sub out the flour with cornmeal.

1 Like