Hanchic. - Koreatown / Westlake

https://hanchic.co/

https://www.starchefs.com/cook/chefs/bio/kyungbin-min

3 Likes

Hi All! Long time reader, first time contributor.

Had an excellent meal at Hanchic this past Sunday!

Had heard some buzz about the restaurant, but have always been meaning to go.

Ordered 3 small plates

ragu tteokbokki. 라구 떡볶이
Super awesome dish. I believe the rice cakes are made locally (menu tagged an IG profile, who I assume makes them.

Tasting Notes

• Compared to the mass produced rice cakes I’ve bought from KR markets for home use, these had a stickiness to them that really enhanced how chewy they were.
  • It also tastes like the rice cakes were flash fried since there was an ever so slight glassy-like crisp to the outside that then gave way to the molten sticky core
  • The sauce was remarkable. Deep, tasting of slow-cooked meat, and overall just an umami bomb.
  • I believe there was also some kimchi that helped with acid, so this was overall an awesome bite.

spicy pork hoppang. 통삼겹 호빵
bao bun, pork belly, perilla leaf, jalapeño, jangajji, onion

Tasting Notes

• Just a really damn good bao. Fresh, crisp, fragrant herbs flank a super tender, charred pork belly surrounded by a pillowy soft bun. Really well-executed and better than most trendy momofuku-esque baos I’ve tried.
  • My least favorite of the night only because there had to be one

chamchi toast. 참치 맨보샤
chamchi, shrimp, thick cut toast, gochujang sweet&sour, yuja

Tasting Notes

• Awesome, crispy thick-cut toast to set the foundation
  • Springy & bouncy shrimp patty on top
  • Wonderful sweet and sour gochujang glaze, with hints of yuja ( I’m told this is Korean Yuzu) to keep it refreshing and addicting to eat.
  • Paired fantastically with a Sparkling Syrah they carried 2018 Tom Shobbrok Poolside by Tommy Ruff - domaineLA for the extra bubbles and acid to cut through the sweetness.

Onto the Main Courses

bouillabbong. 부야베스 짬뽕
bouillabaisse, flambé, shrimp, mussel, chrysanthemum, noodle

Tasting Notes

• Wonderful blend of bouillabaisse & jjampong.
  • I’m unsure where the bouillabaisse ends and where the jjampong begins. I couldn’t taste any saffron, but the tomato (I think?) was a nice tart counterbalance to the salinity
  • Overall umami bomb full of oceanic flavor, perfectly cooked seafood, and deeply comforting to me on multiple angles
  • The shrimp was broiled/charred on the shell and that extra step really enhanced the depth of the soup base.

pork loin & doenjang hummus.돼지로인
aged loin, doenjang hummus, farmer salad w/ maesil vinaigrette

Tasting Notes

• Perfectly cooked pork, just barely pink and succulent, had a nice char on the outside and went well with the flakey salt they added
  • The real winner bite is to combine the salad, hummus, and pork all together. Charred, funky, creamy, crunchy, sour, sweet all in a wonderfully balanced bite.
  • Surprisingly light yet deeply satiating

dweji dubbap. 감칠맛 돼지덮밥 (Table Favorite!)
spicy ground pork, egg yolk, umami rice, gim, korean chives, jangajji

Tasting Notes

• The long Korean/Chinese chives are a genius play here. Very much appreciated sidecar’d along the green onions
  • The egg yolk adds the right about of richness that improves the mouthfeel dramatically
  • I believe the rice was cooked in dashi, so even the finest details are considered for layering flavors
  • Pickled jangajji for the acid and you have an overall fantastic dish that we couldn’t stop eating!

Lastly, Dessert!

I believe they outsource most of their desserts, but I forgot to take a picture of the menu so can’t recall specifically the details.

Chapssal Donut
Tasting Notes

• The normie description would be these are mochi donut holes.
  • Perfectly executed: crispy on the outside, delicate and chewy on the inside. The orange sauce has a creamsicle element to it that has me scratching my head on how they were able to pull it off. Super refreshing!
  • However, the weakest of the 3 desserts we ordered

Jasmine Milk Tea Creamaux

Tasting Notes

• I don’t even know where to begin with this dessert. The jasmine creamaux itself had the most incredible, dense yet delicate texture. I don’t know the technical term for this, but I assume it’s made similarly to how a ganache is made?
  • Beyond the texture, the creamaux was perfumed with jasmine tea which was the kind of bite you would close your eyes to and just enjoy the moment
  • The accompanying granita (can’t remember which type) and blueberries provided the tartness and fruitiness the dessert lacked and really improved the overall experience.

Injeolmi Cookies n Cream Smore

Tasting Notes

• If the Jasmine creamaux was a study in balance, the Injeolmi Cookies n Cream is a study of indulgence, and I need more.
  • The marshmallows up top were what I expected from a typical s’more, charred and crispy with soft melted core
  • This is completely juxtaposed by the injeolmi log underneath, which is fried, crunchy, dense, sticky, chewy, and an overall mouthf**k of textures. I would say imagine a Chinese Donut or You Tiao but with 5x as much weight to it, and made with rice flour for the sticky, chewy goodness.
  • The only reprieve from the sensory overload is a well-executed vanilla ice cream
  • One of my all time favorite desserts - must order!

Overall really great experience and would recommend others to check them out!

Total damage was $264.54 including tax + tip. For 3 people including the wine, the total was $88.18
Had we done without the wine, total per person would have been $60.

38 Likes

Welcome! And great review, you are making me hungry

Excellent post. Welcome!

Coming in hot with a great post! Moving this place up my list for sure

Awesome report–glad to have you!

Welcome awesome report!

Awesome first post!

Welcome to FTC! And such a great format you are using for posts - Excellent.

1 Like

welcome and great report @jc_eats.

is that some kind of charcoal or squid ink bao?

3 Likes

Great report. I moved it here the place clearly deserves its own topic.

Genius.

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Figured it was time to finally give back after I’ve been spoiled with so much knowledge!

@PorkyBelly good catch, yup it’s a black bun so would assume it’s either charcoal or squid ink as well. No noticeable flavor difference, but did taste like a really solid bao.

@robert thanks for the organizing. The dish really would be right at home with some rouille and some toasted baguette! The take home potential seems great!

4 Likes

Coming in hot!!

What’s the alcohol situation here? Wine list? Soju? Cocktails?

Web site says alcohol “coming soon.”

They’re offering a selection of natural wines.

Reds/Whites/Orange/Rose/Bubbles.

The markup is quite steep, and I’m unsure if they have a corkage fee.

2 Likes

When we went a couple months ago you could order from the karaoke bar next door

1 Like

bruh

2 Likes

Fantastic meal Saturday night. Only complaint was the care for the audioscape in the space. Foods beautiful, space is great then its just loud and the beats were right in tone with voice volume which ratchets the volume right up. This was early too, before 8. The food is soulful, well seasoned, playful, delicious.

wine, forgot pic of wine list-it was fun

tteok n cheese

bolonese mandu

tomato salad, this was the least successful as the tomato was mealy.

oxtail rameyon

11 Likes

PSA: Hanchic occasionally serves an exceptional hainan baeksook that might have been the best hainan chicken rice I’ve tasted in LA.

4 Likes