Hanjip Culver City - the East is West II

So good had to take mom there.

Doubled up on the carabineros. Tongue is excellent but thinly sliced (I prefer thicker slices). Jowl was again thickly sliced and gorgeous. Brisket was a bit lean today but I saw other tables with fattier brisket. Ask for fatty.

2 Likes

It was a bit surprising to me, too. My first impression was that this was a new project by the Mo-Chica / Faith & Flower restauranteur in collaboration with the owner of a Korean-American eatery that started as a food truck. Like the restauranteur did Peruvian, did California / French brasserie, and recently tapped the founder of a young and popular Sawtelle joint to try Korean. Nothing against the Seoul Sausage or Terrine founders; it just seemed like an odd pairing to be the people to unleash a legit KBBQ place. With that said, I also wouldn’t expect a traditional KBBQ place hailing from Korea to serve foie, uni, and truffle salt alongside barbecue. They know what foodies like here, so after the initial surprise, it kind of makes sense.

But, I’m intrigued enough by the menu to go based on the food alone and judge it on that. The food indeed looks delicious and the ingredients look to be high-quality. That’s what matters at the end of the day, anyway. I don’t really care if it’s a chain from Seoul, a mom-and-pop place, the newest project by an eclectic restauranteur, whatever…as long as the food hits the spot. Excited to try this out as it genuinely looks good!

No tomahawk though? =(

Their poutine is just kalbi over fries though right, not an actual poutine (i.e. gravy, curds, etc…)?

Too rich for my blood. I’ll leave that for one of you champions :wink:

Not actual poutine. But “poutine” in a loose sense of the word, like how some might refer to carne asada fries as a Mexican “poutine.” Here it’s a California-Korean bent on fries inspired by poutine: fries, kalbi, avocado-lime cream, pepper jack cheese, pickled onions. But fwiw, I am trying to evaluate Hanjip on its own because it seems very different than Seoul Sausage Company.

Methinks you are fibbed, as the two rounds of carabineros as almost the same price as the tomahawk haha

You just don’t think it will be any good?

No literally. Too rich for my blood with that foie and butter and rib eye!

Ah I see! haha

Hanjip, while expensive for dinner, may have the best lunch deal in town for a party of 1. Even if it’s just you, any item off their lunch menu comes with a full selection of banchan. I ordered their “poke bowl” which had a bed of rice, nice chunks of tuna and avocado, roe, seaweed, and sea urchin. The bowl and the banchan were $15–pretty freakin great.

4 Likes

Holy Mother of God.

I hope that dishwasher gets paid by the dish.

1 Like

@Haeldaur awesome! Wow, so much food for just ordering 1 item. Thanks for the info.

There are rumors of a Downtown Hanjip location later this year…

1 Like

Not rumor:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCqczARLYYV/?taken-by=frenchyfoody

1 Like

Heheh that was my exact source, but it ain’t a “thing” ‘til the carabineros are sizzlin’, so it’s rumor in my book.

The carabineros are no longer on the menu at Culver City. I was just there yesterday. Quite bummed. Never got to try them.

same about 2 weeks ago - all I have are @porthos pictures of them :frowning:

No carabineros means better off at Park’s or Eight.

eight