Hatchet Hall

Good man.

2 Likes

LOL I’ll be looking for either or both reports!

Barrel Proof Old-Fashioned - Rare Character 4.4yr Barrel Proof Bourbon, Demerara, Bitters / Javelina - Tequila, Prickly Pear, Orgeat, Aloe Vera, Lime, Habenero, Nutmeg

Very satisfied with our cocktails.

Citrus & Avocado w/Almond Salsa Macha, Serrano

As long as there’s a good piece of citrus to be found I’d keep this citrusy, spicy, nutty, herby, avocado-y salad on the menu! :hearts:

Anson Mills Corn Bread, Cheddar, Shishito Peppers, Cultured Butter, Honey

Let us scrape off the gratuitous mound of butter. Underneath is a rather spongy, eggy cornbread and not sure I like the shishito texture & flavor in the cornbread.

Idaho Ruby Trout Amandine, Green Beans, Brown Butter, Herbs

When seeking a rec on the Marina del Rey thread (thanks again btw!) I eschewed seafood because hubs was nice enough to accompany me on my wine trek and he likes meat. I knew he was curious about HH, so there we went with me looking forlornly at Coni’Seafood as we passed by. Guess what? The man ordered fish lol… and liked it, a lot! :slightly_smiling_face:

Halibut Court-bouillon, Holy Trinity, Tomatoes, Carolina Gold Rice, Grilled Lemon

That Sauce! Everything was cooked just right. But did I mention That Sauce?! :kissing_heart: The rice was a little overcooked possibly on purpose. It had a creaminess and was great for soaking up That Sauce! I do agree with @CiaoBob’s better half that it isn’t a real court-bouillon. Just kidding. I have no idea what a real court-bouillon is but I trust her Louisiana mouth. This was so good! :hearts:

Stone Fruit Buckle + Vanilla Ice Cream

Another surprise, hubs ordered a fruit dessert. Good choice! It’s clafoutis-ish deliciousness. :hearts:

Good food. Good service. Good music. Good vibe. :hearts:

13 Likes

hi @TheCookie
when i first saw your pic of that menu i thought it was some pamphlet with a bunch of words describing the provenance of each ingredient. i think that’s the longest menu i’ve seen post-pandemic.

3 Likes

Right?! Even first reading it at the table you have to look closer to see that it’s the actual menu items. Lots of dishes to try! :blush:

2 Likes

Hahahaha…whatever it is, it’s darn good.

2 Likes

Sacrilege on the cornbread comment. My family will usually have 2 of these at the table and bring another home for late night snack. LOL

1 Like

New place feom the old HH chef:

Went for the first time ever last week. Cornbread was wonderful, used it to mop up all the grits we had left over.

2 Likes

When we are in LA and have to decide which restaurants to pick for dinner it is always hard to find the right balance between our “old” favorites and trying something new. One “new” restaurant which is on our list for quite some time is Hatchet Hall.

This time we decide to finally go there and were really impressed. Starting from the very well executed food (and cocktails) to the nice covered patio and great, but relaxed, service. Can’t wait to be back at our next visit to LA.

Dry-aged kanpachi crudo, citrus, horseradish, smoked olive oil
Great texture of the kanpachi - soft yet “al dente”

Mixed greens, avocado, beet, lemon-balsamic
Simple salad but very fresh tasting with great flavors and textures

Deviled eggs, buttermilk, celery salt, aleppo
Good addition of buttermilk to have a tangy note

Benton’s 20 months country ham + house potato rolls, honey butter, sea salt, sesame
Perfect combination of warm rolls, salty ham and butter

Loaded baked potato gnocchi, creme fraiche, white cheddar, bacon
Soft pillows in a flavorful sauce with crisp bacon

Meatloaf & mash, free range turkey, smoked tomato glaze
Really good meatloaf with a good smokey flavor - excellent mashed potatoes

Braised Peads & Barnetts pork belly, grits, cranberry beans, cider jus
Hard to resist when pork belly is on the menu - melt in your mouth tender pork with the jus cutting through the richness of the meat and grits

Ember grilled garden of carrots, cumin yoghurt, za’atar, honeycomb
Smokey, tender carrots which still retained some bite. The addition of honeycomb was really elevating the dish

Fermented & grilled cone cabbage, salsa verde, sumac, sesame
Reminiscent of sauerkraut but with more smokiness and bitterness from the salsa verde.

Banana puddin’, scorched meringue
As the portions were quite generous we could only manage one dessert but it was another highlight with a wonderful intense banana flavor.

16 Likes

Great report. It is cool how HH has maintained, if not improved, despite Dunsmoor’s departure.

5 Likes

Peony: lovely food. The chef has a good palate. I enjoyed almost all the dishes tonight. I didn’t enjoy the collard greens, which were too acidic and mushy for my liking. I like this restaurant. I just was expecting a little more. We plan to visit in the future to have more fair comments.

Warrior: The food was good but gave me flatulence. The grouper and collard greens had amazing flavor, and the radishes weren’t far behind. Worst dish was the arugula salad, which was merely “fine.” Not sure why the crudo has so much horseradish. 6.2 Warrior Points.

unverified max

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17940516446524801/

2 Likes

Lol the one thing Max liked completely (besides the yummy looking turnips) I did not. The Cornbread.

1 Like

Sacrilege.

1 Like

Lol I know I’m in the minority. I have no excuse for myself. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Cornbread can be divisive. Southern style, northern style, savory, sweet, can’t please everyone.

1 Like

Ours was spongy & eggy. I thought they took the proverbial shit ton of butter (TPSTOB) to new heights with that mound on top and the texture of the shishitos inside was distracting. There, I said it!

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnvBuqFvLVc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Still unverified. (The Hatchet Hall review leads this story)

2 Likes

https://www.fastcompany.com/90835444/best-restaurant-reviews-instagram-max-shapiro-air-jordan

1 Like