Have anyone been to Wolf on Melrose yet?

No shit, it looks the part lmao

wot?

1 Like

Celebrity chef? Check. Super arty plating? Check. In a hip district? Check.

How would LA Mag not name it a top 10 new restaurant? lol

1 Like

That’s fine and all, go try it and then tell me that your prejudice was right

I’m taking the piss from LA Mag, not Wolf lol

Wolf - Melrose, W. Hollywood

We were with the young members of our clan. It was Wolf or E.P. & L.P. Thankfully, the ladder didn’t get back to us in time. Will explain the “thankfully” later.

Starters:

Lodge Bread w/Pan drippings (no picture).
I see why some have mixed feelings about restaurants now serving “pan drippings” with the bread service. It definitely isn’t like your mama’s pan drippings, but it’s a nice twist on the usual butter or evoo.

Crispy Potatoes w/Chive Aioli, Rosemary, Horseradish

(kevinEats pic)
Did anyone put this on their Best Bites? Holy Moly. You guys weren’t kidding. Creamy on the inside and incredibly crispy on the outside. Maybe par-baked, skinned then deep fried? I hope for my vegetarians’ sake it wasn’t in tallow.

Brussels Sprouts w/fish caramel, purple radish & lime (no picture)
Did I mention I was with young dudes? Far from being bros’, but not exactly the brussels sprout crowd. Well, they ordered seconds. Crispy, sweet, salty, pungent.

Second Courses:

Let the Beet Drop - w/yuzu, satsuma, berries, almond, goat cheese snow, nasturtium

Too bad the lighting wasn’t good for pictures. Great looking: rising “smoke”, dissolve in your mouth merengue, the whole nine yards. It was not my favorite dish. It was a little dull in flavor and the textures didn’t compliment each other.

Mushroom Risotto w/pine nut, sorrel, peas, pancetta

(again, problem lighting for photos)
They happily made this without the pancetta. It was still savory, and spread beautifully. I would order it again.

Tom Kha - Pork belly, black tiger prawns, black kale, cherry tomato confit (possibly galangal & lemongrass)

Gorgeous. We’ve been discussing this dilemma. So I’ll say, If you are going to deconstruct an “ethnic” dish, add foam and charge $30, please make it as good as this. The belly could have been crispier (Animal has spoiled me for life). Tiger prawns were perfect, broth (sauce) was delectable. I loved this dish.

Braised Beef Cheek w/Jerusalem artichoke, turmeric peppercorn sauce, baby chicory

Sooo tender.

Vadouvan Lamb Rack w/ratatouille, panisse, olive dust, lebneh, jus

I did not try. But it was devoured like Leo DiCaprio did in Revenant. Not a scrap left :yum:.

Imbibing:

Wolf in Sheeps Clothing
Tito’s vodka, elderflower, cucumber, habanero, lemon.

(Thanks again kevinEats)
Tasty
 if you like your vodka cocktail without much vodka. Someone inexplicably ordered a red wine blend of Merlot & something else. It was left on the table. And of course, there were a couple of Old-fashioneds

Desserts:

I wanted the Blueberry SoufflĂ©, but didn’t think ahead (15 minutes). We went with desserts to go.

Eton Mess w/meringue, berries, black tea ice cream, vanilla whip & a Banana Bundt w/burnt honey ganache, habanero hibiscus ice cream, toasted coconut streusel

I worried berries not being in season. This was as beautiful as it was sweetly delicious. Except for the wonderful habanero hibiscus ice cream :kissing_heart: just skip the banana bundt. This should be made by hand (mixers add too much air).

I was literally frightened when @Silverlakebodhisattv compared it to Bottega Louie noise. But we were there at 6:30; no problem.

Turns out, the guys had been to E.P. & L.P. Opinion? :unamused: The romantic of the crew liked Wolf better and bookmarked it for a possible date night.

Yes, there is a show off quality to Chef Marcel, with his listing of celebrity accolades and all. But he has put a leash on the gastronomy jazz. And he was there all night, quietly expediting. That counts, to me anyway.

So there it is. This took longer than I thought :slight_smile: but a very good dinner.

5 Likes

How the heck did Kevineats get such incredibly bright light in the place??

Interesting that they don’t seem to change the menu much/at all, these are the same dishes from nearly a year ago that Kevineats had. Guess that’s not a big deal, just interesting.

Seems like they improved the presentation of those beef cheeks quite a bit from when Kevineats had them, though, haha

Did the Tom Kha actually taste anything like a tom kha?

If I recall correctly, Leo’s character survives the bear mauling in the Revenant, which I am assuming the lamb did not =P

went here for brunch a few months ago, it was not very good. AT ALL.

Can’t give an opinion for dinner.

Yes.
And I like Wolf. Been twice and it is solid. I can’t say great (other than the spuds), but solid.

1 Like

Maybe since kevinEats was there on official business they turned up the lights for professional grade pics. BTW I didn’t read their review. I was just looking for better pics on the internet. I don’t think I’ve read any reviews except for this board and they were also on a “best brunch” list a while back (supposedly good chix & waffles).

The Tom Kha had the definite flavors, but richer, bolder; more like an entree in a rich sauce as opposed to a soup.

Haha
 To clarify my Leo / Revenant comment; I meant him devouring any flesh he could find when he was starving to death :wink:.

Anyway, we enjoyed Wolf. It’s close. So thanks to @Nemroz we’ll definitely add it on our neighborhood go to list. I look forward to trying what we are calling “the sexy fish dish” chef has a video of on the website.

P.S. It’s a nice looking space too. Great looking bar.

Yep
 I concur :relaxed:.

@Nemroz You taunted us.

The menu’s a little different from when you went there, and the preparation seems to have changed a little for the better.

Let the Beet Drop The online menu wasn’t exactly what we had as there were pistachios, mini orange slices and blueberries. And an amazing mixture of textures. It’s clear Mr. Vigneron is no stranger to molecular gastronomy. The scarlet semi-globes in this dish were like puffs of air that made you believe you were eating a beet. And the steaming “goat cheese” made for a spectacular presentation. The black thing on the left was a real beet (or it looked like one), but it was somehow dried to make it almost like beet jerky. There were of course regular beets, and they were perfectly complemented by the pistachios and citrus.Candidly I didn’t care for the red fruit spread on the bottom of the plate, which tasted like raspberry. But that’s just me. This is a large dish, which is a theme here. This would be a meal for one person. Following is the picture of Let the Beet Drop.

“Tom Kha” The ingredients seem consistent with the online menu, but the pictures I saw previously in this thread show much smaller shrimp, and seemingly smaller pork belly. We were taken aback by the size of the portions. It’s not Claimjumper size, but two could easily dine on one appetizer, one “plate” and one side, especially if it’s the potatoes, which I’ll describe next. Here’s the Tom Kha.

Crispy Potatoes We had read about these, so of course ordered them, but had no idea of the size. It’s basically four medium-sized potatoes, cut in half. The notion of any two, or four people getting through this dish along with everything else is wonderful, if unrealistic. The sauce is some kind of creamy something. I didn’t like it. But I loved the texture and the taste of the potato.

Here’s a picture of the potato up-close, with the pork belly in the background.

Smoked broccoli on the online menu turned out to be broccolini with the same ingredients. This was a major win as I prefer broccolini.

As we walked away, we commented that the waiter wasn’t douchy. A delightful evening.

4 Likes

Love those spuds

1 Like

I believe Marcel uses a Blumenthal prep for those potatoes.

Boil the fuck out of them until they turn fluffy, cracked, and almost falling apart. Then fry hard in animal fat or tons of butter until crispy on the outside.

1 Like

no coating?

Awesome. Seems like you liked it as well. Why did you feel the need to point out the nondouchiness of the waiter? Did I miss something?

1 Like

Frequently when there’s a new or trendy restaurant, the wait staff has somehow let it get to their sense of self. So you have the waiter with attitude. At Wolf, the waiter was down to earth and just a normal guy. Very refreshing.

2 Likes

Yah, @lilmikey - I wasn’t sure about it, but I really liked Wolf.

Listen to this guy. That’s pretty much how I would describe the dish, if I wasn’t too lazy and it wasn’t too lackluster
 it’s style and no substance.

I really need to pay attention to the difference between broccolini and baby broccoli
 My esteemed FTC’ers have hipped me to the fact that there is indeed a difference
 :confused:

Yikes. I was afraid of this. Just don’t tell my son
 St. Assisi.

1 Like

Yep
 preconceived notions. I might have thought a Marcel Vigneron restaurant would have that vibe. But nope. Good experience all around.

Don’t judge a book by its cover
 or reality tv appearances. He appears to be a hard working dude who knows how to run a solid restaurant.