Hayato - ROW DTLA

Really kind response from Chef Go. He responded this morning. So much quicker than I expected but he and his team are a class act!

“Hi Butteredwaffles,

Nice to hear from you! I really appreciate all the support from FTC so much. We have gained a lot of great customers from FTC and I look forward to welcoming you all back at Hayato soon.

Regarding a buyout, in the interest of fairness to other guests, a buyout is not something I can offer anyone right now. There are quite a few guests that ask us to do buyouts, and if I did it for one group I would have to do it for everyone that asked. It’s already so hard for customers to get reservations - if we filled the calendar with buyouts it would make it virtually impossible for anyone to book.

If we change the policy and start to offer buyouts in the future I will contact you and the FTC crew and have you in.

Thank you so much for your interest.

With Gratitude,

Brandon Hayato Go”

17 Likes

He is such a classy guy. A disappointing refusal, but worded so kindly.

5 Likes

An expected response, but still disappointing.

Does your permaban apply to bentos or just dinner?

4 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :joy: He said only dinner for now and that he’s lucky I caught him in a good mood. :upside_down_face: :innocent:

9 Likes

Late Winter 2020 Menu

Not sure what else can be said about hayato, but chef go continues to excel and on this visit I was fortunate enough to try a couple brand new spring dishes and ingredients.

tatami room update
still not open. but a new foh person was just hired, hopefully that means things are moving along. i selflessly offered up my services to be a test subject.

welcoming sake - dassai 23

hiro-san preparing the prawns

sakizuke - live santa barbara spot prawns, tosazu jelly, shiso blossoms
the sweet spot prawns were seared over binchotan to a perfect snappy texture and complemented by tart tosazu and punches of shiso.

agemono - kobashira (surf clam abductor muscle), fava beans, salt
the kobashira and fava beans were expertly fried into a kakiage tempura.

(new) oshizushi - battera anago
this one was new to me and absolutely delicious. the anago was served with wasabi instead of the typical sweet tare so you can taste the inherent sweetness of the anago. @JeetKuneBao, @Sgee, @Chowseeker1999

owan - live dungeness crab suimono (clear soup), baby kabu (japanese turnip)
fun fact 1: chef go makes two pots of dashi a night and decides which one to use right before serving.

sashimi - tai (kagoshima), wild aji (hyogo), salt, soy sauce, wasabi, raw nori, myoga, shiso
excellent, still looking forward to trying his uni sashimi.

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cubes, abalone stomach sauce, wasabi
i think the only thing that could make this better is a tiny ball of rice to sop up all that stomach sauce.

binchotan grilled nodoguro (blackthroat seaperch from iki island, nagasaki), lotus root, dark soy sauce
best grilled fish in town
fun fact 2: chef go ages his nodoguro for 7 days

(new) hamaguri ushio-jiru - japanese hard clams, fresh bamboo
brand new dish and another sign of spring, hamaguri–similar to a cherrystone but way more tender and sweet. the broth is made from tai bones and was light and flavorful. @TheCookie, @NYCtoLA
fun fact 3: chef go has been waiting over three years to use these double clam shell plates

(new) panko crusted fresh baby corn
first corn of the season, loved the balance of sweet corn and salt.

spring nabe - amadai (tilefish, yamaguchi prefecture), shiitake mushroom, fresh wakame, wild fiddlehead ferns (oregon), japanese turnip
Even sitting in broth the amadai still had incredible flavor from the binchotan. @Bookwich, @chinchi, @foodshutterbug

IMG_20200307_210507

chinmi - karasumi (dried mullet roe)

gohan - kinmedai (chiba), yuzu
Insanely fatty and delicious. The kinmedai left so much oil on the cutting board trump is starting a new pipeline. We knew chef go and his team were looking forward to some pizza after service so my counter-mates and I finished off the whole pot so that they wouldn’t have to #sacrafice @butteredwaffles, @attran99

x3

harry’s berries gaviota, kinako infused whipped cream

k&j orchard nashi pears

tea - sencha, matcha mix
This is ishikawa-san’s favorite tea and he sends this directly to chef go

18 Likes

Of course you did. Looks sooo delectable!

1 Like

Thanks again for the great report @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: That anago… wow. The whole evening looked fantastic!

1 Like

That fresh corn looks insane!! Wow yeah loved those bites courses

Really wanna try the new bamboo iteration

And I might as well start adding yuzu skins to my rice

fantastic!

1 Like

Also, use the yuzu (or any citrus) juice to make your own ponzu. Far far more delicious than anything you can get in a bottle.

Even further: Eat a lot of citrus? Want to zest up your bath? Do this:

This is called mikan buro and I highly recommend it!

Sorry for the thread drift, Hayato looks freakin amazing.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I can unsee that.

2 Likes

Never apologize for thread drift!!! That’s why we’re here

2 Likes

Swooning over your pix especially the Karasumi one @PorkyBelly

My wings are temporarily clipped from flying to Tokyo so maybe I’ll try going to Hayato in the interim if I can somehow get a rezzie.

4 Likes

These pictures put me in despair because I do not have an upcoming reservation for Hayato. :sob: Fingers crossed for an April solo cancellation or getting lucky with May…

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9x5IKEBFFt/

11 Likes

Proud to call Chef Brandon a friend.

7 Likes

That was a very thoughtful response.

And for someone who is not in healthcare, gets it. It’s not about you. It’s about the “community”. Protecting it. Everything you do in medicine, there is a cost and benefit, does the benefit slightly outweighs the cost? He sees the whole picture.

His Mama and Papa would be proud.

7 Likes

I hope Brandon considers offering some kind of dinner bento.

3 Likes

I agree with Brandon. Hence the importance of having a strong social safety net and I applaud the House for passing their relief bill in guaranteeing free coronavirus testings, emergency food assistance, 2 weeks paid sick leave, up to 3 months of paid family and medical leave(related to being quarantined or caring for children whose schools are closed because of the coronavirus) in which workers would receive a benefit amounting to at least 2/3s of their usual pay. It also expands funding for unemployment insurance and Medicaid for businesses with 500 employees or more.

1 Like

DITTO!

You’re reading my mind.

1 Like