Hayato - ROW DTLA

Sake-fest.

1 Like

Supplementary beverage pairing…

2 Likes

After sufficiently inebriated, (take an Uber) and go bum rush Pearl River Deli. (You too, @JLee:smiley: )

4 Likes

Dessert?

12 Republique Mango Pies, 12 boxes of Donut Man, 12 pints of Bulgarini.

7 Likes

Five Golden States
Four Birdie G’s
Three French dips
Two Velvet Turtles
and a Partridge terrine by Walter Manzke…

(waaay too much downtime at work today. Keep it up, folks!)

13 Likes

I would’ve loved to be part of this bulk bento order! I couldn’t make any orders since they were all sold out immediately even though I pressed F5 many times. Darn, I missed out.

Please ensure you attach your other 3 stomachs for this bang-bang. & Spend some quality time with your loved ones prior to the outing, some may return with PTSD…

3 Likes

Interested if you’re not full already… nm looks capped

Priming my F5 game…

4 Likes

Just so the September box group is aware… I’m not certain that’s for the bento. It’s likely experimentation for Chef Go’s future dinner concept…

4 Likes

Can’t wait to try chef go’s sheng jian bao

1 Like

Is that what it is??? Is that a thing in Japan too??

I see my attempt at humor has failed

8 Likes

For those without IG

Edit: it already got posted

Hayato x Kang Kang collaboration

2 Likes

chef go’s sheng jian bao?

So much magic and exquisite cookery in one box. I cannot decide which item was my favorite…the vegetables were just as perfect as the proteins. Thanks to @beefnoguy for the great sake rec. The team at Hayato provided us with sake cups. It was indeed a great pairing with the bento…as it got warmer it the flavors turned to che com ruou. I feel that Chef Go should be charging double for this bento…there is so much thought and care that goes into each dish. Hope you all get to experience this weekend special lunch.

20 Likes

Too kind for the shoutout, but I cannot take credit for the rec.

It should go to @J_L for the first mention/rec in the August report, and also leading the sake efforts of buying to go from Hayato, and being the first on FTC to report back on the sake. For that, +3000 kudos!!

I just +1 with “yes I’ve tried it too” and just merely encouraged people to also try it as it comes up in temperature over time or save some to pair with other foods if there’s leftovers (or you can cook with leftovers too). Glad you enjoyed it! (The brewery and importer/distributor also carries a Kimoto Tokubetsu Junmai that I like more).

Yeah certain sake have this che com ruou kind of flavor as they warm and get a bit boozier in nature and more funkiness in the aromas (you trade fruitiness with more pronounced acidity as well with the temperature change). You’re not the only one who made that connection, actually! It’s very good to know that dry and super dry sake work nicely at Hayato dine in (and takeout), the one I had (half bottle red label Mutsu Otokoyama) last September was spectacular about 2/3 of the way through the meal as well.

4 Likes

My favorite moment at Hayato came when I ordered sake and Bethany appeared with a tray of various ochoko. I knew I had to make a quick decision but also the right decision. In that immediate moment I was totally disarmed and cared only about drinking from the vessel that best represented me. I felt like a kid again, worried about snagging the ball I liked most at soccer practice and never letting it out of my sight.

Today I was fortunate enough to pick up a bento box and a bottle of sake. I spoke with Chef Go for a bit, we laughed about just how much time there really is in a day. Then I drove home, slow and relaxed, anticipating my treat.

As I thought about the sake I knew I needed to recreate the wonder I felt at Hayato and couldn’t do that without my own ceremony. I grabbed my favorite tea cup and beaker, two of a handful of homewares I bought when I moved to LA and was so worried about creating myself.

Nishida Denshu Tokubetsu Junmai “Country Squire”

The snail is always shouting at me to slow the hell down and smile. Chef BHG’s bento did the trick. :smile:

20 Likes