Hayato - ROW DTLA

oh ok, weird. maybe i did sign up for an account when i ordered before.

do they sell car seats for takeout? asking for a friend.

driving with this in the passenger seat really makes you aware of your suspension system.

4nwshv~2

11 Likes

Wait…just a teaser?! Hope you enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to your review!

1 Like

Your side bolsters & harnesses are a bit lacking :grimacing:

#OrizumeApproved

6 Likes

Orizume was very tasty - The highlight for both me (vegetarian) and my wife (non vegetarian) was those grilled baby corn. Sweet caramelized bites of goodness

4 Likes

tldr: get it

i had to cancel all my thanksgiving plans this year because of covid but was fortunate enough to enjoy hayato’s new dinner orizume for thanksgiving eve and the leftovers for thanksgiving.

it was the best takeout experience from the the best restaurant in la. the meal was beautiful, delicious, and educational. everything from the packaging, the handwritten menu by general manager Yuki-san, to the cards explaining the different cooking techniques is so well thought-out. reading how each course is prepared was almost like eating at the counter.

the orizume was designed to be similar to osechi boxes for the new year or a hanami bento for cherry blossom season, both of which are made to be consumed over a number of hours while people socialize. i can confirm even the leftovers are delicious after being in the refrigerator overnight.

chef go says he’s happy with the food, but like a true shokunin, he’s still tweaking and refining his recipes everyday. he plans on making four boxes a night to start. i’m looking forward to tasting how this evolves in the future.

the $340 question, is it worth it? i’ve said before the $52 lunch bento is a steal and given the fact that the dinner orizume takes three people, ten hours to make one box that can feed at least two, i would consider this worth it, especially for a special occasion.

reservations go live december 1st at 10am on tock.

the notorious B.H.G.

beautiful orange furoshiki
with orange symbolizing happiness and love

red and white symbolizes happiness and celebration

notice how each fold in the menu represents one section of the orizume.

steamed abalone with daikon
tender with a pleasant chew severed with its own thickened stock. play on the classic buri daikon?

house made yuba, soy sauce ankake, yuzu
silky smooth and creamy with a mild nuttiness and a thickened dashi sauce. this is normally served with wasabi but chef go wasn’t happy with the wasabi and replaced it with yuzu.

dashi ikura with yuzu
some ikura is too salty for me but this had a nice dashi flavor that wasn’t too salty.

saba with tosa zu jelly
the saba was complemented nicely with a vinegary tosa zu jelly instead of getting the usual sujime (marinated in vinegar) treatment.

figs in sesame “goma-ae”
delicious sweet and fresh figs with a creamy sauce. highlight.

grilled hokkaido scallop with nori sauce
similar to the grilled scallops in the lunch bento but paired with an incredible sweet-umami nori sauce. I may or may not have dropped a ball of rice into this to sop up all the sauce. highlight.

uni “tsukudani”
where has this been my whole life? this had the texture of karasumi but it had the sweet, briny flavor of uni. as @NYCtoLA mentioned, almost like candied uni. highlight.

ni-iwashi (simmered japanese sardine)
remember when i used to eat sardines for dinner? I still do.
similar to a nitsuke prep, this was savory and sweet. poured all this sauce on some rice too. highlight.

charcoal grilled aka mutsu
this is almost always on the menu at the counter, and even though the skin wasn’t as crispy it was still delicious

awa fu “age-ni”
I don’t think I’ve had this before, this was fried and then simmered and it had the sticky chewy texture of mochi.

kabocha “yose”
one of several wagashi desserts in the orizume. the kabocha is steamed before being set in a mold of gelatin. highlight.

umeboshi carrot
just as delicious as the carrot in the lunch bento. sweet with a burst of umeboshi when you bite into it. highlight.

japanese eggplant steeped in kombu dashi

kuromame
you usually see these sweet soybeans in osechi-ryori boxes for the new year. They symbolize hard work and healthy living. They had a great creamy texture and a mirror finish. highlight. @Starchtrade

lobster “uma ni”
i think this is a play on the osechi-ryori dish ebi no umani–the bent back of the shrimp symbolizing longevity. here chef go replaces the shrimp with lobster simmered in sweetened dashi and soy sauce. highlight.

japanese sea bream “tatsuta age”
this was marinated in soy sauce, mirin and sake before being lightly fried.

pickled hoshigaki rolled with daikon
sweet dried persimmon rolled with crunchy, vinegar-y daikon. highlight.

fried baby corn
crunchy and sweet

fava beans

duck tsukune and shiso “hasami yaki”
ground duck meat that has been grilled and sandwiched between shiso. highlight.

japanese turnip “fukume ni”
simmered in kombu dashi and salt. the texture and juiciness was like biting into a ripe melon. highlight.

ni-anago (simmered anago)
simmered in light soy sauce, sugar, and sake. a slightly sweet and lighter version than the usual nigiri prep with tare. highlight.

pickled myoga
nice bit of acid to cleanse the palate.

salted cucumber flowers

shrimp shinjo and lotus root “hasami-age”
take the shrimp shinjo from the lunch bento and sandwich between crispy-crunchy lotus root. highlight @TheCookie.

grilled maui onion with soy sauce
i’ve had this at dinner and it’s one of my all-time highlights. the one in the orizume is no different, the onion has been steamed, fried, and then grilled. highlight.

gobo “fukume ni”
simmered in kombu dashi and salt.

satsuma sweet potato “chakin shibori”
another of the wagashi desserts, the satsuma sweet potato is steamed, pressed through a sieve, then molded with a tea cloth. it has the texture of play-doh and is another highlight.

pickled cucumber with sesame and salt

steamed lily bulb

kinmedai snapper “taki-komi gohan”
my favorite gohan at the counter, this was just as good. highlight.

matsutake gohan

fin (after two days)

can i get an ftc bat signal please
@Bagel, @foodshutterbug

27 Likes

One word comes to mind… luxury. Thanks for sharing. :hearts:

1 Like

Fantastic report. Thank you.

1 Like

@NYCtoLA & @PorkyBelly how did you guys sample this pre Dec 1??? I was searching all over for the link on their site and tock. Wtf :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: shameless teasing

Orizume transport window shopping today. #Fail … seats and belts not up to snuff. Might be cheaper to just retrofit my Camry with some racing seats and harnesses

7 Likes

make sure to spring for the air suspension, don’t want to lose any of those sauces.

7 Likes

Usually parking is a bear in L.A., but there is enough empty parking spots at ROW DTLA for me to bring this puppy for Orizume pickup…

air cushion.jpg

9 Likes

Off topic: the Roma looks AMAZING (at least in pics). As nice in person?

24 Likes

Like @J_L, @EattheWorldLA, and @PorkyBelly have documented before, this is an exceptional meal. Between the lunch bentos and this amazing orizume, I really don’t know how Chef Go and his team do it. There are easily over 30 components in the orizume box alone…and imagine all the prep work (and the dishes/pots/pans!) that are involved to craft each one. They arrive in the kitchen to start work around 5:30AM each day and hope to be done around 7PM. Mind blowing! It takes me 5-8 hours of active cooking just for a family-style holiday meal of traditional roasts and sides.
All the boxes are brought out at 6PM to the front of the restaurant. If you’re lucky, you get a few moments to chat with Chef Go at pick up…and he and Hayato manager, Yuki, watch as you secure your box in your car because you heed his warning that the boxes are filled to the top with sauces. I used my powered front passenger seat to wedge the box on the floor of the backseat. Sorry no photo, Chef Go and Yuki did not go back inside until they had waved us off.
We picked up a Koshi No Kanbai Sai to pair with our orizume. Yuki recommended a dry sake from northern Japan. It did pair well because the orizume dishes use more sugar than the dishes normally serves at the restaurant. It quite enjoyed it until it opened up and started to taste like che com ruou.
image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image
Highlights: anything with a sauce that could be used to pour over the matsutake rice, umeboshi carrot, fava beans, pickled ginger, any of the seafood dishes, squash
We spent about 3 hours reading the notes and trying each dish in between sips of sake.
I was an animal and mixed the ikura into my kinmedai rice. It was glorious.
I rather enjoyed the yuba with the wasabi…I can’t even imagine how it would have compared to the yuzu version @PorkyBelly had.
I think I preferred the sweet potato from the bento to the darling little gyoza-shaped mash version in the orizume…it ate a little dry for me.
The knife skills shown in this box are ridiculous. Turnips that look like dumplings. Flower carrots. Micro-thin herbs for the rice. Those cucumbers!
Please order this box on Tuesday morning. Please order sake to pair with your meal. It was interesting to hear Chef Go echo @beefnoguy’s previous comments of sake orders being able to help the restaurant do more and make additional margins. Also, soft opening has been limited to 3 boxes per offering as the team is getting into the swing of things, but it’s very possible that Chef Go may increase it to 4 boxes in the near future. He’s feeling good about the direction the orizume is going in and will continue to tinker with the dishes.

28 Likes

Sounds reasonable to this animal.

2 Likes

I also got lucky this weekend and got a box. It saved the weekend for us, as Thanksgiving didn’t happen. No photos; my box looked just like the others, i.e. perfect. I continue to be awed by Chef Go’s skills. So far, this was our best meal during the pandemic. We paired it with a bottle of the Miyosakae Tenmi Junmai Daiginjo “Taste of Heaven”–a splurge, but worth it, especially if it helps out the restaurant.

I found it to be a very generous meal for two. We were barely able to finish everything but most of the two rice dishes (they heated up well the following night). Many of the pieces come in even numbers, so I would suggest that if you have a household of four and don’t want to spend so much money, one orizume would make a lovely light dinner–perhaps supplemented by something else (and definitely some extra rice to sop up those wonderful sauces)–with each person able to have a bite of everything without fighting over it too much.

15 Likes

Sorry no photo, Chef Go and Yuki did not go back inside until they had waved us off.

We ate it on one of the benches, so finished around 7:15pm. As I got back into the car, Yuki came out to wave us goodbye.

My wife “uh, does she need something, she came outside to wave to us”

me “she’s waving goodbye, being courteous”

My wife “oh that’s great service!”

11 Likes

i mixed the ikura into the mushroom rice and then scooped some of the nori sauce from the scallops on it. True indulgence

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIPI6d4j9BL/

3 Likes

let’s see who has the fast fingers to nab an orizume and bento.

1 Like