Hayato - ROW DTLA

Taking the chocolate chip cookie quest on the road?

2 Likes

At least you can enjoy the orizume. The PS5 doesnt even have any games worth playing like most launch consoles.

4 Likes

I’ve banked some for another update that requires a write up, but there might be a couple ringers from up north making appearances :shushing_face:

3 Likes

So true lol!! He has an lg cx or some other 2.1 tv and said ghosts of tsushima looks incredible in 4k60. He’s having fun with demons souls and the new gauntlets of strength in Sekiro too.

1 Like

I am so bummed that I picked a Sunday to pick up the Hayato bento box because Fat N Flour is closed on Sunday. Ok I know 1st world problems but still. Very poor planning on my part. Will need to make up for this oversight at Sonoratown, PRD and Superfine.

5 Likes

or try holy basil DTLA

6 Likes

Oh thanks for the reminder. We haven’t had good Thai in a while. Adding to the list maybe in place of PRD since I’ve been there a bunch.

3 Likes

if you’re looking for sweets, ototo is open sundays

https://www.ototola.shop/ototo-aozora

2 Likes

I’m having a special night for 4 people, though orizume may not be enough for all of us. What other food do you think will be great to eat with this special (birthday) dinner?

I’m thinking of picking up a bit of food from Orsa & Winston’s General Store at 5:30pm.

2 Likes

I’d keep it simple and stick to miso soup and maybe some salad. I wouldn’t want to pick flavors that stray too far way from Hayato. Dessert would be a fine idea since orizume “dessert” items aren’t really dessert. A sake from the menu would be superb.

2 Likes

kaneyoshi

10 Likes

True baller reply here.

PXs

post exchange?

1 Like

personne extraordinaire

5 Likes

I’m sure this is probably a minority view, but I was kind of disappointed by the Orizume. I should caveat this and say that I’ve never had a Kaiseki meal at Hayato. But I’ve had several in Japan, and I really did like the Hayato Bento Box. But this box was just bland to me. And I hate to say it because I was so looking forward to it. The best dish was the gingery rice. I also really liked the sweet potato. But there were no real standout bites in my view, and I did not think it was ultimately worth the price. I much prefer the Omakase box Shunji is doing right now.

Something about this box felt inauthentic, as if it was a facsimile of Kaiseki or an attempt to replicate the ingredient-based focus in Japan without the parts that make it worthwhile. That is, it felt like leaning way too hard on “purity” of ingredients and forgetting that expensive food is supposed to taste great. At this price point, you should be blown away by something rather than having an interesting experience along the lines of “oh, a radish.”

Again, I may just be a minority/dissenting view on this. But if you’re looking for a $400 dinner splurge, and you had one to pick, I wouldn’t make this the one.

10 Likes

Thanks for the report. I’m looking forward to trying it.

1 Like

Pedro Ximenez

1 Like

Oh how interesting. A dissenter.

Thanks for your candor, @Haeldaur — not an easy post to do given Hayato’s popularity on this site.

I was hoping Hayato would do their version of Osechi ryori — Japanese New Year’s comfort food dishes meant to last up to 5 days.

Places like Mitsuwa market charge up to $400 for 3 level box and on average at least 1/3 of it is repackaged prepared goods by Japanese companies like Kibun (known for fish cakes, cooked black beans, etc.).

Considering Hayato’s Orizume dishes are freshly made, its price tag seems quite justified when compared to Mitsuwa’s Osechi NY’s boxes, but unfortunately for me, the Orizume is too much food for me to consume in 1-2 days. If it were Osechi style, I could at least stretch out the eating and cost over 3-5 days.

However, I’m still interested in supporting Hayato so I’ll try ordering the lunch bento with some premium sake and give a generous tip.

10 Likes