Hayato - ROW DTLA

i saw outside with the family on one of the benches - no problems

1 Like

Yep it’s the chillest spot around right now and nobody bothers you. If we got food someplace else in the vicinity we’d still go eat it at ROW.

2 Likes

nabe

10 Likes

What?? Is that his latest dinner offering? Chef Go told me he was planning something new, but didn’t say what, and it din’t show on his Instagram feed when I just checked. Please elucidate!

4 Likes

I had the opportunity to try hayato’s newest takeout concept, a nabe set that comes with sashimi, tsumami and can feed two people.

If the orizume covered the grilled, fried, and gohan courses from the dine-in dinner menu, this set will basically be the sashimi, owan, nabe, and dessert courses.

this was lighter and requires a bit more interaction than the orizume but it was quite fun, delicious and perfect for winter. @attran99, @Bagel, @foodshutterbug, @Sgee, @rlw, @js76wisco, @happycat

highlights for me were the uni, persimmon, abalone, aji, kinmedai, madai, charcoal seared amadai, snow crab, bamboo shoots, wild mexican white shrimp shinjo, shiitake, tokyo negi, scallops, anago, somen, strawberries.

it is still a work in progress so details are still being worked out.

tsumami
just as delicious as the ones I had in the orizume

uni “tsukudani”
these must be from santa barbara because they were huge. I added a little wasabi and soy sauce from the sashimi because I’m an animal.

steamed abalone with daikon

persimmons in sesame “goma-ae”

house made yuba, soy sauce ankake, fresh wasabi

sashimi, soy sauce, wasabi, raw nori, myoga, shiso
besides my crappy plating skills this was nearly identical (minus the salt) to the sashimi course at dinner and pretty much flawless.

japanese sea bream (madai)

charcoal seared kinmedai

horse mackerel (aji)

box-o-dashi
the set comes with two quarts of dashi. the hardest part was transferring it to the pot without spilling it.

for fun I tried replicating some of the nabe courses I’ve had in the past.

july 2018 - aka mebaru (rockfish), bamboo shoots, chrysanthemum greens, mitsuba, and shiitake

december 2018 - nodoguro, matsutake, mitsuba

january 2020 - amadai, shiitake mushroom, fresh wakame

march 2020 - amadai, shiitake mushroom, fresh wakame, wild fiddlehead ferns, japanese turnip

charcoal seared amadai, fresh bamboo shoots, shiitake, mitsuba
the amadai was incredible, it was fatty, juicy and had that wonderful flavor of binchotan on the skin. the fresh bamboo was tender and snappy and another highlight. the dashi started out light and delicate with a savory, slightly smoky flavor and became even better and more intense as ingredients were added to it.

charcoal seared amadai

fresh bamboo shoots

shiitake

mitsuba

november 2019 - zuwaigani (hokkaido snow crab), shiitake mushrooms

december 2018 - alaskan king crab, matsutake, napa cabbage, yellow yuzu

snow crab legs, matsutake, tokyo negi, japanese turnip, komatsuna
snow crab was sweet and meaty.

snow crab legs

tokyo negi

matsutake

japanese turnip

komatsuna

wild mexican white shrimp shinjo
another highlight, this tasted more of shrimp than actual shrimp. delicious.

hokkaido scallop
this takes the shortest amount of time to cook, ~30 seconds so don’t leave it in there too long.

charcoal grilled anago
love how you can still taste the binchotan in the anago

awa fu

grilled mochi

napa cabbage

june 2019 - somen noodles, amadai (tilefish)

charcoal seared amadai, somen, matsutake
highlight, the somen noodles, more intense dashi and smoky amadai was delicious.

japanese “amaou” fukuoka strawberries
amaou is an acronym that stands for amai (sweet), marui (round), okii (big) and umai (tasty). and indeed they were, best winter strawberries I’ve had. wish I had some kinako whipped cream to go with it.

sencha-matcha tea
sent to chef go from ishikawa-san

25 Likes

It comes with a donabe pot too? :crazy_face:

:scream:

Holy shit I want this in my life

1 Like

So similar to a dish I had at his mentor’s place Goryukubo in Tokyo.

1 Like

Brilliant! Does Chef Go provide instructions/suggestions for cooking? Your recreations of past nabe dishes look great. How long did it take you to finish the meal? And, how much did it cost?

1 Like

thanks @happycat. yep there is an instruction sheet with directions and cooking times. the meal took about 2.5 hours at a leisurely pace.

if any ftcers are interested in trying the nabe before the public release, chef go has some available for tonight, saturday and sunday. email yuki-san at info@hayatorestaurant.com. cost is $250.

after this weekend all orders will be on tock.

8 Likes

Wow!!! Great job!

1 Like

the donabe pot and burner are optional separate purchases at $35 each, both made in japan.

3 Likes

Wow that seems like a great deal based on the donabe I’ve gotten from Toiro! Though getting the burner might be worth it so I don’t have to constantly get up to stand over my stove :sweat_smile:

The nabe course was my favorite from dinner, so I’m excited to snag this!

3 Likes

Holy moly that looks amazing! I split the Orizume but I’m pretty tempted to just get this myself…

1 Like

it’s still great the next day if you wanted to split it into two meals.

1 Like

Was able to snag one for the weekend. Thanks for the heads up @PorkyBelly !

1 Like

How are the portions compared to the orizume?

The dinner orizume was able to feed the 4 of us.

it can safely feed two

1 Like