Hayato - ROW DTLA

If I don’t know any better, could Yamakase be a reasonable alternative? Was very good a few years ago.

I think tables are for 7 so there’s almost always a solo dining spot available from what I understand.

Even solo spots go fast though!

But yeah that’s why I prefer them lol

1 Like

It was bound to be even more difficult with the Michelin stars coming out this very week.

It’s probably still easier to get a seat for 1 because last time I was there they were still doing 7 seats—down from 8 prepandemic— so there’s bound to be at least 1 open spot assuming the other 3 parties are booking in pairs.

1 Like

they’ve always had 7 seats and allow a max party size of 2 so there will always be a solo seat.

1 Like

post two-star dinner with @NYCtoLA with some fantastic new dishes.

(new) ebi shinjo, matsutake
brand new dish and this was a HUGE :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart:
imagine the ebi shinjo from the bento box, but instead of being piping room temp, this was piping warm with fragrant strands of matsutake.

sakizuke - hokkaido kegani, kani miso, kanisu sauce

agemono - kakiage tempura, brentwood corn, hokkaido scallop, mitsuba

sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

(new) sabazushi, sesame seed and myoga rice
after a two year hiatus, the legendary sabazushi is back. another HUGE :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart:

owan - wild oregon matsutake, hamo, green yuzu

katsuo warayaki, chive, myoga, salt, soy sauce

ezgif.com-gif-maker (40)

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cubes, abalone liver sauce, wasabi

binchotan grilled hokkaido kinki, lotus root, sudachi

goma-ae - black mission figs, grilled shiitake mushrooms

kisu tempura, eggplant soaked in kombu dashi
perfectly seasoned and fried kisu that was soft and fluffy :heart:

hokkaido uni tsukudani

(new) nabe - amadai, matsutake, mizuna
sweet, firm and smoky amadai with crispy skin :heart:

karasumi

gohan - black cod saikyo yaki, mitsuba

x3

harry’s berries gaviota, kinako infused whipped cream

bonus harry’s and ken’s top notch white nectarines

wasanbon

fin

19 Likes

kind of looks like piping

3 Likes

Our dinner omakase will be $295 per person beginning in 2022. Hayato Restaurant will be on holiday break from 1/1/2022 - 1/11/2022.

4 Likes

tried to cop yesterday, sold out instantly WTF

1 Like

Yeah I had 3 screens up was not possible lol and same with kaneyoshi

three words, el. a. foodie.
@lafoodie

4 Likes

I was sleeping

6 Likes

Warrior: it really is that good though. In my opinion, it is the best restaurant in LA now that Somni closed.

I know that there are reputational concerns but the economist in me is still deeply irritated by seeing a situation where raising prices would mitigate the supply-demand imbalance and simultaneously improve the restaurant’s sustainability, and yet prices are never raised enough to have much effect.

(Yes, I’m a bit salty that getting a reservation is so difficult. Too bad the food reservation game is too small & hyperlocal for scalpers to solve the problem.)

1 Like

I can’t wait for demand based pricing to get here. $500pp weekends, $750pp holidays, $250pp for some random Wednesday 9pm in November.

2 Likes

banned by the restaurant when caught is kind of an issue.

1 Like

The increase in price might also just have to do with prices going up all around. I imagine with inflation concerns going on right now that they might also be impacted with prices of supplies and ingredients also increasing.

That said, this is probably now the new floor, but they deserve it. (And it’s still not as pricey as some of the places I was just scoping out in SF :joy:)

6 Likes

Oh, you misunderstand, I’m hugely in favor of the price increase; in fact I want them to keep raising prices until I can reliably get a reservation :laughing:

4 Likes

Subtle not so subtle flex

1 Like

First world problems. Sounds like the high-end restaurant version of gentrification. The rich are pushing out the upper-middle class.