Hayato - ROW DTLA

These pictures with natural lighting shaded by the Hayato bag(?) Iooks :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Right?! Love these shots.

1 Like

ā€¦ and hereā€™s what TWO boxes look like, with a bottle of Shimeharitsuru ā€œJunā€ green. #Whatā€™sMineIsHersAndWhatā€™sHersIsHers

Requisite rooftop DTLA skyline shot (I take one every time I go to ROW)ā€¦

8 Likes

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Jun and the pairing with the bento! Itā€™s a very differently built sake than Sohomare Tokubetsu Junmai Karakuchi.

I might just have to take the plunge and buy a bottle from one of two restaurants up here to show more support, only had a glass at each establishment last time.

Snagged my own bento today like many of you, and it remains my favorite dish in LA.

Iā€™m fortunate to have it before, so hereā€™s my own personal power ranking of all the individual components:

1. Snow Crab Tofu
  2. Wild Mexican White Shrimp Shinjo
  3. Black Cod Saikyo Yaki
  4. Datemaki Tamago
  5. Koshihikari Rice with Root Vegetables
  6. Dashimaki Tamago
  7. Agedashi Eggplant
  8. Snow Crab Claw Sunomono
  9. Satsuma Sweet Potato Mitsu-ni
  10. Seared Duck Breast
  11. Dried Shitake Nimono
  12. Japanese Cucumber with Sesame and Salt
  13. Grilled Hokkaido Scallop Shio Yaki
  14. Chrysanthemum Greens with Sudachi Citrus
  15. Pickled Daikon Namasu
  16. Winter Melon in Ginger Dashi
  17. Honshimeji Mushroom Ohitashi

Shout out to the carrot.

17 Likes

Jeez louise all these posts are so dangerous. Just a couple more weeks before I can join the funā€¦ :drooling_face:

3 Likes

A bit OT, but @J_L mind if I ask where in the Row you can go to get that view? Top of the parking structure?

1 Like

yep, just take the elevator up to the top floor. youā€™ll get a great view of the ftc batsignal from up there.

12 Likes

Gorgeous shot! But all I can think of is the heat and humidity making your photo session slightly unpleasant.

5 Likes

Yes, 10th floor rooftop.

3 Likes

Whereā€™s the esprit de corps? ;-D (Plus, if your are keenly familiar with your camera settings and know the light conditions, the perfect shot arrives pretty quickly after only a short shooting sessionā€¦)

2 Likes

@J_L @PorkyBelly Wow in all the times Iā€™ve been there I never thought to do that. Gorgeous shots. Iā€™m definitely going to have to do this next time Iā€™m there!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also a rooftop garden which may be fun to explore there as well. Enjoy.

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to try chef goā€™s licorice jelly beans.

8 Likes

haha, those look pretty good. Was talking with the owner/chef of a small place in Ginza a couple years back and he was telling us about what a difficult process it is to make kuromame. He said it takes time and technique to get that perfect mirror glaze without the bean skins tearing. Oh yeah, and donā€™t forget youā€™ve gotta get the flavor and texture right, too.

With recent kurikinton and kuromame posts, it looks like Chef Go is doing R&D for some year-end Osechi boxes. Smart move.

Edit: Thinking about this more. All that effort to make kuromame from scratchā€¦ Are people really going to appreciate them (the kuromame)? Is anyone Are many people going to realize the difference between his kuromame and the ones they can purchase at Mitsuwa? I donā€™t think so. But, I think that is exactly what makes Chef Go so special. His devotion to his craft. Regardless of whether or not his audience is going to understand the effort it took to make these seemingly simple sweet black beans, you bet your ass he is going to do it the right way. Kudos to him and his team.

7 Likes

Didnā€™t he used to work with the osechi bento when he was in Japan? Maybe at Ishikawa? Iā€™m curious to see how similar/different itā€™ll be. Regardless, Iā€™ll be super interested to see what he ends up with! Already salivating at the thoughtā€¦ :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Yes he did

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOqlSnRjuog/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOql51LjeJk/

6 Likes

Thats what I was worried about when he was going to open for dinner, after having his bento for the first time. I saw the technique was there but I wasnā€™t sure if LA was going to be able to appreciate paying $200+ for dinner for such subtle food and luckily my concern was proven wrong. People now are much more well travelled and even those of us who have been to Japan several times may not have been able to access such high quality osechi as they usually require advance preorder which is not always feasible for travellers. With all of our Japan travel plans having been disrupted or delayed this year I think there will be plenty of us who would partake.

8 Likes

Excellent video fand article/interview with Brandon from Row DTLA

6 Likes

:cry: sighhhh canā€™t wait for things to go back to normal. Never got a chance to do Hayato dine-in pre-Covid

5 Likes