Hayato - ROW DTLA

Oh how interesting. A dissenter.

Thanks for your candor, @Haeldaur — not an easy post to do given Hayato’s popularity on this site.

I was hoping Hayato would do their version of Osechi ryori — Japanese New Year’s comfort food dishes meant to last up to 5 days.

Places like Mitsuwa market charge up to $400 for 3 level box and on average at least 1/3 of it is repackaged prepared goods by Japanese companies like Kibun (known for fish cakes, cooked black beans, etc.).

Considering Hayato’s Orizume dishes are freshly made, its price tag seems quite justified when compared to Mitsuwa’s Osechi NY’s boxes, but unfortunately for me, the Orizume is too much food for me to consume in 1-2 days. If it were Osechi style, I could at least stretch out the eating and cost over 3-5 days.

However, I’m still interested in supporting Hayato so I’ll try ordering the lunch bento with some premium sake and give a generous tip.

10 Likes

Agreed. FTC isn’t always kind to dissenters so I really appreciate the report.

6 Likes

Greatly enjoyed the Orizume bento. Did not disappoint.

Standouts were the Aka Mutsu, Shrimp and Lotus Root, Bamboo Shoots (not on menu), and just about everything in the smaller box of bites. Some of the vegetables are finely cooked but a touch bland (Eggplant, Kabu) and the ikura was the only true miss for me (yuzu didn’t really come through and the texture was not great).

Went with a simple Dutch white in lieu of sake. A touch sweeter than expected, but the fruit paired well with the contents of the bento. An aged Koshu would go perfectly with this.

All in all, very impressed with this bento which is clearly the product of a great deal of care and passion. The flavors are subtle in a good way IMO and I had a great night picking through the contents with my companions while we worked through the wine. Prefect amount of food for three hungry people. Very happy with this splurge.

14 Likes

nice review @Piglet. looks like chef go is changing it up a bit with the bamboo shoots, is that what’s pictured next to the lobster?

Yep. Not usually a fan, but these were superb.

no such thing as a wrong opinion when it comes to your tastebuds!

2 Likes

The orizume can feed at least 4.

I did have a few snacks beforehand.

1 Like

Has anyone been since the outdoor dining ban? Wondering if we can still cop a squat?

it looks like at least some tables are still setup in this post from yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI6_heDBd_B/?hl=en

2 Likes

paging @lafoodie

1 Like

It’ll be cold, but sure. You can pretty much park on the outside parking spots right outside of restaurants and stores since barely anybody is there, especially at 6pm

1 Like

Going early day so cold shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks.

Of all the takeout offerings out there in L.A., Chef Go’s food was thoughtfully designed to withstand the trip home for enjoyment.

4 Likes

It’s supposed to be 80 degrees today. Perfect day to sit outside with a bento box and some sake. Hope the weather cooperates next week when I’m picking up my bento box.

5 Likes

I’m going to Hayato on Sunday and unfortunately a lot of places are closed for the long weekend. Superfine opens at 5pm. Langers, Amboy, Laroolou, Fat n Flour are closed. I’m picking up Holy Basil to bring back home before Hayato.

Anybody have good ideas for places near Hayato to grab lunch? I’m thinking of picking up some pastries at Proof. Maybe Kazunori or Holbox but concerned about eating seafood in the car. Might end up defaulting to Phillipe or Shake Shack.

3 Likes

Go bug Chef Johnny for some Hainan Chix at Pearl River Deli.

3 Likes

if you want to ruin future sushi for your daughter, sushi kaneyoshi for a chirashi or futomaki.

5 Likes

I forgot about PRD but not necessarily easy to eat in the car or on top of the trunk with kids.

I actually ordered &paid online at Amboy but they called me to say they are closed after tomorrow until next Tuesday. Lots of places that have been working hard these past few months deserve to take some time off so I don’t begrudge them whatsoever. Hopefully you are able to take some time off as well @J_L.

2 Likes

@PorkyBelly we’re already eating Hayato. I’m not made of money. Haha. You and many other posts of Kaneyoshi look absolutely delicious especially last weeks post of the crab chirashi.

3 Likes