Hayato - ROW DTLA

Was able to snag one for the weekend. Thanks for the heads up @PorkyBelly !

1 Like

How are the portions compared to the orizume?

The dinner orizume was able to feed the 4 of us.

it can safely feed two

1 Like

enjoy

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ6wYJsBWhY/

7 Likes

Finally got one! Can’t wait.

7 Likes

two bentos available for this Sunday

4 Likes
5 Likes

I was blessed to get a nabe this weekend, and split it with a friend. We’d dined together at Hayato what seems like ages ago, and both agreed this was probably the closest we could get to that excellent meal as we could get without sitting in front of Chef Go.

Chatting with Chef briefly before taking off with my big box, he said this dinner set will probably be sticking around awhile because it is the best way to present his dinner experience in the COVID era. After the 2.5 hour meal, my friend and I agreed. This was absolutely incredible–wire to wire–from the prepared appetizers to the high quality cuts of fish and produce.

The nabe set up allowed us to go at our own pace, just sort dropping things in and taking them out as we wanted (while crucially still paying attention to the cooking times). It was a leisurely experience that I’d definitely repeat, and compared to some of the other high-end-finish-at-home meals cough Vespertine cough that I’ve done it was basically stress free.

Got the bag

Top shelf

Bottom Tier

And now, some haphazard bowls:

Hokkaido Scallop

Charcoal Grilled Anago

Charcoal Seared Amadai, Awa Fu, Grilled Mochi

Wild Mexican White Shrimp Shinjo

Somen

Each and every bite was delicious. The snow crab legs were some of the best I’ve had, and even bites that could go overlooked like the bamboo shoots or matsutake were delicious in their own right and built a super flavorful broth as we ate our way through it. The wild shrimp shinjo is probably my champ of the night, as it typically is with the bento, but done here in a different preparation was like seeing another side of it.

Chef Go and his team deserve a standing ovation for putting a meal like this together. Despite everything going on in the world, the country, and this city, we’re lucky to have talent like theirs.

14 Likes

That video was a lovely surprise. We had to watch it twice…once for fun and once to actually follow the instructions.

5 Likes

Just snagged a nabe reservation, yay! Now i need to study that video.

1 Like

As excited as I am to have gotten one, I realize–after checking Tock again out of curiosity–that my excitement over scoring was a bit excessive, as Tock appears to be wide open for nabe availability. Does anyone have thoughts on why this might be? I’d have thought they’d sell out immediately. Is it the cost? Or the perceived work involved? I suppose there are many people who don’t want to have to cook their own pricey dinner, even if that’s part of the experience. Is it lack of experience with nabemono? At any rate, there are plenty still available for Jan. 27-Feb. 7!

1 Like

I am trying to book it for 4 but it only allows 1

Got it sorted out. Each meal is for 2. Had to make two ressies for 4. Thanks @happycat for the heads up!

1 Like

It will probably pick up as word keeps getting out about it–they just posted about it on Instagram again yesterday. There might be some barrier people feel with cooking at home, but the video they put out should help with that. FWIW I find hot pot nearly idiot proof so long as you watch your cook times.

Plus I was astonished how reasonable the price was to add on the donabe and burner since he is only selling them at cost. Hopefully since this is all scheduled in advance he can more easily dial up or down how many ingredients he needs to buy/prep time to dedicate.

3 Likes

Had a similar experience as @TheCookie and @rlw.
The perfect weather, peaceful surroundings and delicious food all combined to create an incredible and memorable lunch.

don’t tell anybody but an empty row is one of the nicest places to relax in dtla.

today’s highlights

carrot nimono

chrysanthemum greens with sudachi citrus
excellent refresher between bites

wild mexican white shrimp shinjo

seared duck breast

snow crab tofu

agedashi eggplant

black cod saikyo yaki

dried shiitake nimono

snow crab claw sunomono

grilled hokkaido scallop shioyaki

shout out to the koshihikari rice combined with the black cod, and grilled scallop.

14 Likes

Had the Nabe dinner this weekend and it was totally worth it.
The seafood was some of the best examples I’ve had this past year., the whole kit was so thoughtful from instructions to cooking times, to what items were laid out in each box.
It was a fun dinner and it really made me miss eating at Hayato.
Standouts for me: the seared amadai, shrimp shinjo, the crab, grilled anago, japanese turnip, tokyo negi, scallops
After we finished most of the food, the heathen that I am cranked up the burner, waited for it to boil and threw my somen in there for a minute and ate it in my owan with the dashi.( I didnt follow his directions)
The asian pears with sake jelly was also a standout dessert.
We didn’t make the tea and will save that for another day.

The next day I cranked up the burner with the donabe and leftover dashi and made more somen. I ate that with frozen store bought gyoza cuz i’m fancy like that.

I also bought the Donabe from Hayato for $35 which is a pretty good deal and it’s made in Japan.

Edit: Added the items included in the Nabe dinner

15 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKubcfeBoj2/

4 Likes

Snagged a Valentine’s Day lunch bento!

3 Likes

I’m always amazed at how consistently good this bento is, and even more amazed at how consistently it improves each time.

hayato

16 Likes