Hayato - ROW DTLA

Quite an add-on! Looks fabulous, you guys!

2 Likes

(new) hand written menu by yuki-san

I believe this is niyodo paper from hiromi paper inc.

a secret pizza x kato x hayato bang bang was perfect

14 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know if Hayato also got secret pizza :wink:

5 Likes

Your capacity astounds me.

6 Likes

I know. What is going on here?

1 Like

After months of fruitless Tock-ing, we finally managed to snag a rez off of the wait list. Had high expectations after trying their various bento and nabe to-go offerings in the past, and we weren’t disappointed.

The menu was mostly the same as what others have recently posted so I won’t bother with a full run-down, but there were some minor changes due to summer coming to an end + the gradual transition to autumn ingredients.

The tosazu jelly dish was served with a Kue Shabu Shabu rather than a grilled fish

The nabe course used matsutake in place of shiitake

Chef Brandon noted that this was the very last of the peaches for the season, so presumably dessert will be something new starting this week

Overall the experience was refined but relaxed, which is a combo that I greatly enjoy. Things never felt overly stuffy (especially once Chef relaxed a bit mid-way and started to chat more freely with the guests) but the food was dead serious and the ingredient quality and overall skill level is obvious.

Personal favorites were the hamo, the lotus root that was served with the kinki, and the bo-zushi. That last one is notable because I generally dislike bo-zushi, but I could have eaten an entire box of these.

Divine Sushi

Really though, this is one of those meals that doesn’t have a weak course. It was a pleasure from start to finish, and needless to say we greatly enjoyed our evening. Still fairly priced at $350pp IMO.

12 Likes

can’t wait to try brandon’s new location

12 Likes

@PorkyBelly please grab me one of the Brandon’s shampoo. I want to have cool hair!!!

3 Likes

His hair reminds me of Michael Corleone’s.

2 Likes

@TheCookie Is this the hair?

Disclaimer: I have facial blindness, don’t count on me lol

6 Likes

Omg look at young Chow Yun-fat. Yes, lol, Brandon Go looks like a matinee idol. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I wonder if Brandon reads these posts, LOL?

4 Likes

Haha. Btw that is one of the greatest Chinese dramas of all time. Very iconic song too.

He is probably too busy to bother lurking on our food nerd board. With preparing, sourcing, cooking, researching, studying, etc. He does go to places that our LA FTC favorites if I can recall in his IG stories . I seen him go to Ba Le in Westminster and Mini-Kabob. Could be coincidence but I think we are really one of the few places that geek out over hole in the walls on the interwebZ.

2 Likes

I bet $5 that sir Brandon will come laugh at these sometimes :face_with_peeking_eye: #notanillegalbetting

1 Like

fall is in the air so that means new ceramics, crab and matsutake.

(new) sakizuke - ebi shinjo, oregon matsutake somen, ankake

love this dish, glad it’s back.

(new) sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

(new) agemono - anago, satsumaimo

the best filet o fish with hashbrowns in the city.

shabu shabu kue, tosazu gelee, shiso blossoms

shinogi - aji bozushi, chive rice, ginger, soy sauce

brandon’s rice is incredible

(new) hokkaido kegani

aka bowl o crab

rainier slicing the shin ika

nice little detail of spraying the bowl with “dew” to indicate no one has touched this before you.

(new dish and new bowl) owan - matsutake suimono, yuzu

sashimi - shin ika, tai

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cubes, abalone liver sauce, wasabi

binchotan grilled nodoguro, lotus root, sudachi, dark soy sauce

(new) fried amadai, ankake, fresh ginko nuts

my favorite amadai prep to give the scales a potato chip crunch contrasted with the boba like chew of the fresh ginko nuts.

(new dish and new ceramics) nabe - hamo, matsutake, mizuna

chinmi - grilled karasumi

gohan - gindara saikyo yaki, mitsuba

before…

rice x3, miso soup, cucumber, turnip, myoga, hojicha tea

really like the new red miso soup bowls

…after

I would like to welcome mr and mrs @hungryhungryhippos :hippopotamus: :hippopotamus: @baxter, and the rest of the counter to the clean donabe club.

ha’s apple farm peaches, sake jelly

who knew ha’s apple farm had a secret stash of late-october peaches.

fin

a pre-bang at kato was perfect :hugs:

uni donut

maitake tempura, fermented chili

wasn’t able to do the kato-bianco-hayato hat trick tonight, but with an assist from mr and mrs @TheCookie ftc was able to complete the rappahannock-bianco-kato-hayato quadruple row bang.

17 Likes

he reads

6 Likes

I’ll second that.

2 Likes

Maitake> matsutake x3!!! What a dream :two_hearts: and peaches :peach: I’m not crazy about the super sweet expensive melon :melon::face_with_peeking_eye: personally… but good stonefruit is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

All bases covered by Food Talkers!

Looks fabulous @PorkyBelly! Great seeing you. Sorry to have just missed @hungryhungryhippos!

5 Likes

strong move strong move

4 Likes