"Healthy" options in SGV?

Is this for another article you’re planning to write?

Not really, just looking to see how possible or feasible it would be to attempt eating “healthier” in the SGV, though an article could be possible (EDIT: in hindsight, no, not even that).

1 Like

You’re not looking for “healthier.”

What you’re asking for is austerity.

2 Likes

I did ask, however, I’m not the one who set the standards, guidelines and restrictions.Take it up with them :slight_smile:

Who are “them”? I do better with citations that I can then look into. TIA.

Just a guess but maybe he is referring to Diatary Guidelines for Americans 2015?

Have you considered Vietnamese food? They are often lighter in seasoning because they expect the customers to season dishes to their personal tastes. Many dishes are cooked with less oil.

2 Likes

Good info there. Thanks. Although not the OP’s question I remain solid that good choices anywhere are the key. And what one eats at one meal can be made up for before and after. A motto: “Everything in moderation including moderation.”

2 Likes

Am explanation so ipse won’t accuse me of taking advantage of the good folks at FTC by underhandedly using them to provide info for an article. I had (and still have no) intention of writing an article on this, If I had, I would have given full disclosure and mentioned it upfront. I was simply asking for someone. And I found out what I surmised, that there is so little available to those with that level of dietary guidelines that it’s not enough to even bother with for an article, had I even been interested in doing so.

1 Like

And Meanwhile in the SGV beats right along. With or without healthy options.

1 Like

many restaurants use vegetable oils that contain TRANSFAT (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil).

transfat is the WORST.

(for a while, when i went to my favorite thai restaurant, i used to bring in my own bottle of oil for them to use in preparing my food because the restaurant’s oil was the transfat costco oil.)

The problem lies within the restaurant industry itself. Home cooking is healthier because you can take time to cook meals. However, restaurant patrons want to eat their dishes very shortly after they order. This limits the healthiness of the dishes because they must be cooked quickly. Also, patrons expect their taste buds to be wowed. The fastest way to do this is to increase the fat and salt content of foods.

If you have, say, one meal out a week, you can eat anything you want. More than one, just make good choices.