Help me make good tacos!

I think this is your issue. I know real skirt steak is getting harder to find and pricier but it’s worth going out of your way for. Just rub it down with a little oil, salt and some Maggi sear until mid rare garnish with some pico de gallo on a good tortilla, and avocado salsa and call it a day.

If you can special order, sirloin cap works well done the same way or ribeye as mentioned already…

I don’t have an issue :slight_smile: Happy as a clam with our result.

2 Likes

That is not enough cheese. :blush:

1 Like

Huh? Is this one of those times when I’m going to find out that the crispy tacos my wife loves and insists on are an American invention and never found in Mexico?

1 Like

I get those tortillas at Kroger. I’m swearing off making my own. These are just too good.

2 Likes

Even worse. Invented by Taco Bell!!!

I cook tough meat in whole pieces and chop before serving. As do all my favorite Mexican places.

Late to the party…if you are anywhere near the Valley get corn tortillas at any branch of Vallarta markets. I am a firm believer in making everything from scratch, but my corn tortillas are not as good as Vallarta’s. You can buy them still hot from the grill.

Second; as it sounds like you were making asada tacos what cut of meat did you use? Skirt steak is the preferred, although thin sliced rib-eye works as well. If you use skirt steak be sure to slice off the silverskin. As the meat will be thin use very high heat and very short time.

You might also consider a traditional carnitas recipe - simmered in lard with citrus. Most modern takes have you simmering it in water. Loses much of the flavor IMHO. I can post a recipe if you desire.

LA tacos are usually garnished with just salsa, onion and cilantro. No cheese or avocado.

Makes me want to visit the neighborhood taco truck and I never eat at night. Best of luck!

4 Likes

I figure if people in Mexico generally buy their tortillas rather than make, it’s good enough for me. The only thing I use my tortilla press for is Asian dumpling wrappers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heat flour tortillas on the stove, right on the flame, it works way better than on an outdoor grill, which gets too hot.

Heat corn tortillas in the microwave, sprinkle with a little water and wrap in a towel first.

1 Like

I heat flour tortillas in a dry skillet. Corn tortillas get fried to one’s preferred consistency in lard.

1 Like

Lard! You are a woman after my own heart! I still owe you the Chinese recipe. I’ll get to it soon.

Not to worry! Lots of travel coming up so little time for new recipes.

The lard lasts forever cause that’s all we use it for!

I like crispy tortillas

Yep… That’s what the taco trucks do. My guy loves them.

my mexico tacos still suck. I have chicken breast to chop up. What should I put in my dry rub? unfortunately I use Guerrero tortillas.

1 Like

Have you reread this thread? Since you’re the OP. There’s tons of info.

Hi @Luluthemagnificent -

I made these a while ago and have no idea what I put in - probably the usual suspects of Onions, Garlic, Chili Powders, Chili Pepper, Cumin, Coriander, anything you feel like. The most important thing about Chix Breast is not to let them dry out. Sauté/brown in Olive Oil on high a couple minutes then stew a bit on med-low in some Broth. This is not necessarily traditional, mind you, just what I do.

We like crispy tortillas so I let them crisp and puff up a bit.

P.S. What’s a “Mexico Taco”? :thinking:

5 Likes

I don’t know. in my family you would buy a whole chicken. Throw it in a pot, add a couple scallions, maybe a bit of salt. poach it, shred the meat. Then use the left over broth to make rice. serve with beans, queso fresco and a blender salsa with tortillas on the side and you have dinner. (with a salad and veggies of course)

Or take your cooked shredded chicken and open up a can of ‘El Pato’ saute some onion add the sauce, some sour cream . warm it up.

6 Likes

I suggest poaching the chicken breasts. Bring them to a boil turn off heat and let them sit until they are room temp. Shred the chicken, and then add salt, pepper, cumin, and a chile powder of your choice, but be restrained. The bold flavors are going to come from the salsa. My choice is to be an LA taco purist which means warm corn tortillas, cilantro and onions chopped together, and a really good salsa. Save the cheese for nachos or quesadillas (no disrespect to @TheCookie), the guacamole for chips, the grilled veggies for fajitas, and the poaching broth to cook your rice. Less is more. You can also grill the chicken and then shred it, but be careful not to overcook. Nothing worse than dry chicken breasts (not actually true - as far as food goes; mushy pasta, overcooked steak, and wilted salads come to mind - not going to mention everything else going on in the world right now). I am sure your tacos will turn out beautifully. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Take a walk on the wild side. Anything can be a taco… as long as it tastes good. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes