Help me turn fried chicken into smoothered chicken?

Right. That’s what I did with the pork chops. But they didn’t come out with a crispy fried coating. More like piccata.

I think what’s common to all these is that the chicken or pork is floured and browned, so it’s not like “fried chicken.”

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:16, topic:4883, full:true”]
Smothered fried chicken is sort of like the American version of your typical steam table, take out Chinese sweet and sour chicken.
[/quote]Good analogy. I’ve had both. Smothered fried chicken tastes better.

Yes, yes! kinda’ like piccata! It’s not supposed to retain the crispy exterior! Jeez :rolling_eyes:.

[quote=“catholiver, post:15, topic:4883”]
There’s no breading/batter.
[/quote]What do you call flour?

…much better.

A coating. It adds no “bulk.”

We’re talking smothered chicken here, right?

Okay. Here it goes:
I use self-rising flour for non-batter chicken frying. Roll it very lightly in flour, just so egg mixture will stick to chicken; shake off extra flour & dip floured chicken in beaten eggs (I put lots of hot sauce in egg mixture); roll it generously in flour again; shake off & fry chicken in hot peanut oil until it is golden brown & crispy; set aside on paper towel in warm oven; remove most of oil from pan; add a couple tbls of any flour; make a roux; slowly add chix broth; let thicken few minutes; salt & pepper. When this is complete add the chicken back to pan w/gravy; let it simmer for about 5 minutes or longer (I cover mine). The crust on the chicken does not stay completely crispy, but gets a delicious moistness and thickens the gravy. Smothered Chicken!

If it’s not your thing then don’t do it.

1 Like

Here’s about what it looks like. Serve it over some rice and it’s dee-licious :kissing_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

Looking at this photo made me realize that it’s like how I get chicken fried steak served — gravy on the side. For me, fried food should be crispy. Your mileage obviously varies :slight_smile:

Yah… I was thinking people were having a hard time envisioning the concept. But I like it on the side too sometimes.

It does make me drool however :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s true that it does seem like a waste of crispy fried chicken. If I get a good crust on my chicken I’m loathe to smother it. But it really is delicious.

As a born and raised Southerner turned Left Coast-er, I hang my head in shame and admit I’ve never made fried chicken! I mostly do seafood, shrimp and fish.

1 Like

That’s funny. Since we’ve been conversing on this subject I kept thinking “Isn’t she from the South?” But it happens. My friend is married to a Japanese woman from Tokyo. He jokes that he feels gypped, because he loves sushi and she doesn’t. She prefers Italian.

Oh and btw. My fried chicken recipe is Paula Deen’s grandma’s recipe. It’s simple, not fussy and comes out perfectly.