Hidden Gem in the Valley

When Epicure Imports went belly up a few years ago it was a huge disappointment to many of us, especially we Valley denizens. Three people did something about it and the result is Epicurus Gourmet, a wonderful, gourmet warehouse in the Valley.IMG_2300
It’s located in an industrial park on the south side of Sherman Way just west of Laurel Cyn; 12140 Sherman Way, N. Hollywood 91605.
Once you find the place your first stop should be the sample table.
IMG_2301
French, Italian and Spanish items are the main focus, but they offer a small selection of Asian products as well. I can attest that the whiskey barrel aged fish sauce is good enough to drink.
IMG_2311
Truffles are another area where Epicurus excels. Fresh truffles are a special order item and are market priced. Along with the fresh truffles there are many truffle based products…
IMG_2302
…along with high quality Italian, French and Spanish delicacies. Future plans include a liquor license to stock excellent, little known wines.
You can buy things here that are hard to get anywhere else.
IMG_2312
IMG_2315
I was surprised at the prices - they are much lower than I expected. Hillary, one of the two active partners, explained that they price on a wholesale basis due to their location, a warehouse, and their desire to keep their products affordable - this is a labor of love.
My favorite sections are the cheese, charcuterie and butter.
IMG_2306
IMG_2307
IMG_2308
Despite its moderate size Epicurus stocks over 900 items, and so many are just what is needed. For instance now that Ebeth is launched when I am making pizza its just for two. Opening a full 28 oz. can of tomatoes is overkill. Where else can I find 14 oz. cans of San Marzano D.O.P tomatoes?
IMG_2310
Both Hillary and Eric, the other active partner, are personable and helpful. They love food, and they love their business. The other employees are wonderful as well. If you request an item they will try and get it for you, and if you need advice on using their products, well…
IMG_2319
Epicurus is wholesale to the public, and sells by the case or by the item. I mentioned the small cans of tomatoes that I love, but if you are a caterer or a restaurant and need something in quantity that is available as well.
IMG_2318
IMG_2317
Epicurus’ website is http://www.epicurusgourmet.com. Sign up for their weekly email list.
This is a great business run by excellent people and I highly recommend it. Please patronize it! It so deserves to survive and grow.

15 Likes

One of my favorite places to shop!

3 Likes

I adore this place. It’s a bit of a trek for me, but I always find something new or interesting with every trip up there. I guess I need to try the fish sauce next trip.
The selection of Christmas panettone is super impressive…I picked up an Amaro cherry and almond last year for my parents and they said it was the best panettone they’d ever had. They also devoured the tiramisu panettone I got them.

2 Likes

The fish sauce is so good - and so inexpensive I use it for my everyday condiment now. Bought the sashimi tamari today…can’t wait to try it.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, the French butter selection. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

On occasion, they can have as many as 5 or 6 flavors of the Bordier Buerre de Baratte. I’m a sucker for the espellete flavor. Hillary actually told me that I can buy a few of them, wrap in plastic wrap and foil or vaccu-seal them, and freeze. They stay good for a while if stored properly…and I always have a supply of fantastic butter without regular treks to the Valley.

4 Likes

Come back to the Valley! Our traffic is not so crazy and we need people like you!

1 Like

I worked in the Valley for almost a decade…the commute was no joke. I’d be hard pressed to give up my 6 mile commute now :grin:.
But I will be making a trip in November. I need to source foie, pâtés, and other items to host a surprise party for my Mom’s birthday. I’ll be back in December to source items for Christmas baskets I put together for friends and family.

3 Likes

I need to try that espellete one! Sounds fantastic. My favorite is the Rodolphe Le Meunier Beurre de Baratte which I get at DTLA Cheese in GCM because I can’t find it anywhere in the South Bay. Looks like I need to make a trip to the Valley with a cooler and stock up on all the different kinds and brands of beurre de baratte.

3 Likes

I sous vide vegetables with the flavored Bordier Buerre de Baratte. Glazed carrots with the espellete is amazing!

2 Likes

Email Hillary or call her, she is great about answering both types of query, to see what’s in stock before you make that long drive. Phone number and email are on website.

1 Like