High-end restaurant prices in LA & California

Is that based on a report from the Lucy Van Pelt School of Economics?

2 Likes

It’s based on this:

Last year, according to a recent study, there were 24.3 million visitors to Los Angeles County, about half from outside the state. “Generally speaking,” Zucker says, “we know that a little less than 12% are what are called cultural tourists.” That compares with 42% in New York, which drew about 36 million visitors in 2004.

4 Likes

Poverty line for state of CA for a family of 4 is $38k.

1 Like

I guess now I wonder how many places could pull it off. $450, $425, $400 a head just to sit down. Then other tasting menus take spots between $300, $275, $250. On to a place like Bavel being able to charge $50-$75 (?) a head more through savory. Not just in LA but anywhere in the US

These high end places are a splurge for most people, maybe not on FTC. A $350+ per person tasting
menu meal is a once per year type of thing for us. The truth is I don’t really like sitting for a 3 hour meal. I’d much rather pay a fraction of that price for a meal at local LA places with great food. I’d take 3 meals at Animal, Bestia, MJD, Mozzaplex, etc…. over 1 meal at Manzke or a super high end sushi meal.

12 Likes

Hayato would be my splurge place.

5 Likes

Ditto if we hit the jackpot and get reservations again. Haha. We were toying around with the idea of trying Kato or Manzke but Hayato is awesome.

2 Likes

Seems like Hayato could surely charge more since at the current $295 price reservations sell out almost instantly.

That’s from 2005. Way out of date. In 2018 LA had 50 million visitors. It has a worldwide reputation as one of the great food cities There are lots more destination restaurants, museums, and concert halls. I personally go to LA 3-4 times a year to eat and outside of that go to comedy shows, galleries, and museums.

1 Like

Hayato and Benu for me. Sushi Yoshizumi plus okonomi bonus rounds to my hearts content.

3 Likes