HiHo Cheeseburger

Had the hi ho cheeseburger. This just became my favorite fast casual burger miles ahead of shack shake. Super tender and juicy patties with expertly melted cheese and a soft bun and their sauce is not overpowering.Sad I didn’t get the fries but I’m sure I’ll be back.

3 Likes

Don’t be too sad about that. The burger is def the draw here.

1 Like

Just visited HiHo myself this weekend. Worth the drive from the valley. slightly regret not getting triple patty. Still delicious. I enjoyed the fries and the key lie pie I had later.

3 Likes

Tried the new location in Mid-City today (no pics). Bad experience. Burgers were luke warm almost cold and the fries seem like they’re definitely promising when fresh but were the same temp, oil soaked and droopy. It was to-go, so I normally wouldn’t give a review until I had it in-house. But! Our biggest problem and reason I wouldn’t have it again is every bite was full of gristle and connective tissue. :face_vomiting: My husband who likes a little gristle and chewy bits said it was pretty bad. Also, there really wasn’t much beef flavor for all the grass-fed wagyu claims. So bummed. I was totally looking forward to it. But if it’s between Five Guys & HiHo for our local burger fix I’m going with Five Guys, which isn’t saying much. But even to-go the burgers are hot and tastier.

2 Likes

Tried the new Mid-City location on Sunday. Food was good and tasted the same as SaMo, fries maybe a tad soggy. No line, ordered immediately but it took 24 minutes to come out and there weren’t that many people there.

1 Like

I probably had bad luck. I definitely would give them another try and eat in-house if it was just the temps and soggy fries. In-house is always better. But the carelessness in the way they ground the meat for me was a deal breaker.

That sucks.
My experiences at the SM HiHo were nothing like that. The gristle factor is particularly gross and super strange. Yuck.

1 Like

Follow-up:
Had the HiHo Double Cheeseburger and some fries last Sunday.
Flavor was excellent. I like the fries. But I must say that the gristle anomaly that @TheCookie experienced happened to me too. It wasn’t close to very bite, but there were two bites that had a noticeable chunk of hard gristle that someone didn’t clear from the grinder properly. Might be an issue with expansion or something, but it definitely distracted from the experience.

1 Like

Hi @frommtron -

So it’s a definite problem. Ours also had connective tissue.

I had been off burgers for years because the meat quality was so lousy, even from the market (let’s not forget the other problem, bits of bone). But great burger places have made a comeback and I just knew the HiHo Burger would be no exception. :smirk: Now I need a good burger to wipe out the memory. But unfortunately I have burger PTSD. :sweat_smile: I hate gristle in a burger!

Happy Perfect Burger Hunting!

2 Likes

Don’t forget about gristle in sushi! :cry:

1 Like

There’s always the classic ERB Single burger

2 Likes

So true @Chowseeker1999! Yuck.

And remember back in the day when I didn’t like Guerrilla Taco? :grin: That was part of it. We went the first weekend and it was a bit of a mess including a big glob of connective tissue in my Hamachi Tostada. But that was clearly a prep mistake on one dish. We’ve since kissed and made up. It was excellent last time. HiHo’s problem is bigger.

@hungrydrunk, my :heart: still belongs to the Single Burger!

2 Likes

…And in your green beans with minced pork.

(Looks like a tooth in there)

2 Likes

Is there a gross food thread? :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I think there’s a Wexler’s pastrami thread somewhere.

(Ok that’s a bit harsh)

Or maybe The Drunk Stoned and Hungry thread.

2 Likes

we got way more class then that.

2 Likes

Oh snap!

1 Like

willie mae’s chicken sandwich coming to hiho

4 Likes

What exactly is that? Is that a piece of pork?

Looks like a mutated chicken nugget.

1 Like

Kind of a ridiculous marketing ploy IMHO.
There nothing special about Willie Mae’s in NOLA - other than internet hype. It’s good, solid southern fried chicken. It suffers from serious under-seasoning and coating that is poorly adherent to the smallish sized chicken pieces.
But if it works and brings out lots o’suckers, I mean patrons, good for the HiHo/SugarFish/KazuNori team. They deserve every dollar they can get given how they have treated their employees in the pandemic.

3 Likes