Hiko Sushi

Absolutely antediluvian.

1 Like

What are the rules beyond no phones?

No crazy rolls.

They will let you know when to use soy sauce or not

Eat all your rice

It’s not that onerous.

I agree that it isn’t too onerous, though his usual fish-to-rice ratio is fairly low (compared to many others). His pieces tend to be quite a mouthful of rice.

I went. It was great. I was aware of the rule of eating all your rice, so we were careful to do so. But otherwise, we weren’t really affected by any kind of rules. Other than the chef himself, the service was quite friendly. It’s not on the level of a Shunji (to use a local comparison), but it’s also about half the price, which is compelling for the quality of fish.

This isn’t a complaint, but I think it’s an important factor given where the Los Angeles omakase scene is these days: you receive two pieces of each nigiri. So, you will find yourself at the end of the omakase without having sampled the variety you would have almost anywhere else. This is true even of the extra courses. At least that was the case for us–maybe there’s a way to order differently.

1 Like

I believe at the bar you have no ordering choices. At tables they used to offer a la carte, not sure in the COVID era.

Same at Sushi King in Santa Monica.

I still think that’s more common than not except at the very top end. Correct me if i’m wrong though.

Do you like Sushi King? I don’t know enough about sushi to justify the high-end stuff, and I like Sushi King b/c it seems to have respectable QPR and totally reminds me of the place my parents took me to as a kid in Monterey Park (Taihei!).

Edit: I feel like I may have asked this b/f. Apologies, if so (my memory nowadays for food things is… not great).

Thanks for your question! It’s fairly middlin’ to good as far as LA sushi goes, and definitely satisfies a lot of customers daily. Yes, I think Sushi King has those Taihei vibes. The younger chefs there will cut the neta a bit coarsely at times, but usually the generosity of the cut favors the customer. The neta tends to be also a tad colder than I prefer at time of serving (usually not this extreme, but I bit into a near-frozen piece of maguro once). Saito-san is the sage owner and main itamae - He definitely has more skill than his sous chefs. The floating island pear dessert at Sushi King is fun and delicious.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this much in Los Angeles omakase, but of course that’s the traditional way when ordering a la carte. Interesting that Sushi King does this, as well.

I’ve never been to Sushi King, but I’m willing to check it out

Shibucho also serves two pieces of each fish as part of their omakase. I think it’s somewhat typical for the more old school spots.

As for Hiko, my one and only experience there involved me sitting at the bar, ordering omakase and informing the waitress that I eat everything except for bluefin tuna. I was told I’d have to go sit at a table where I would be served all the fish at once. So I left. Only sushi bar ever to refuse that request - even Shige-san at Shibucho accommodated, which is saying something.

5 Likes

Oh yeah! Shibucho does the two-piece thing as well. My last visit at Shibucho, Shige-san was out on medical leave, and Nishimura-san was pinch-hitting. Can’t wait for them to reopen.

Strangely, I received a call from them (Shibucho) a few days ago informing me that they are re-opening on a very limited basis, two days each month to be exact. The first installment is October 30th and October 31st. If you give them a ring I’m sure they would be happy to have ya.

3 Likes

I think it’s “okay” and more of a hole-in-the-wall, favorite-w/-the-locals-looking for decent sushi, so adjust your expectations accordingly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Oh, wow, thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

The OG Sushi Nozawa also used to serve two pieces at a time for omakase iirc.

1 Like