History of Chinese food (or lack thereof) on the Westside

back in the day, a lot of places would make steamed minced pork but it was never on the menu. one such place was this little toisan place on valley & third called wing hing deli with two sisters that looked like my mom. it took about 25 minutes but it was worth the wait. however, the best version i’ve had in LA was at the recently closed embassy kitchen. i honestly don’t know of any place where i can order one now. i find them emotionally satisfying.

1 Like

Right before the pandemic I learned that the owner/chef at Embassy Kitchen was in charge of the dinner menu at Ocean Bo in El Monte. Even went to Ocean Bo at lunch time and checked out the dinner menu which indeed had some Embassy items. However, I never went out to dinner again, and have no idea if that collaboration survived. Since you’re on that side of town perhaps you can check it out.

3 Likes

That’s kind of how we feel about Jasmine House’s to-go counter. We’ll usually do a duck combo or something but sometimes it’s just easy to do the three item plate alongside.

We literally just made this! Now that I think of it, we’ve only had it at home. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it on a menu.

Found a typical steam table take out spot here in PA. Ran by a nice Fujian family from NYC. Was able to get tomato and egg and homemade fish balls made by Auntie.

4 Likes

This was a regular dish for us growing up. Something a busy mom could make easily and satisfies everyone. I’m trying to remember if we ever ordered it out. I’m sure we have, but it was definitely more of a home dish. Even now, I make it once in a while for us. Some stir fried green beans and a pot of rice. A simple quick hearty meal.

there’s something in the texture (when made properly) that has a strong appeal for me. however, i was not so enthusiastic about it when made with salted fish or a salted egg - that ruined the texture for me. i preferred it steamed with lop cheung.

we should probably create a separate thread for chinese comfort meals, in which case i’d also include claypot rice dishes. or any sort of chicken dark meat cooked with shiitakes & oyster sauce (a little miso works well also)

I’ve been trying to remember the name of the old Chinese (Cantonese) restaurant that was on Pico Blvd. just East of Overland on the North side of the street. My wife thinks it was Wan Q but wasn’t Wan Q near Robertson? Same time frame though.

Nothing I know of fits that description going back to the 70s. Wan-Q was near Robertson. Song Hee was just west of Westwood Bl., and Hoi Ping just east of Beverly Dr.

Thanks. We went to Wan Q a lot so we could just be ‘mis-remembering’.

:+1:t4:

1 Like

Do it!

1 Like

Thread created

3 Likes

Googling has revealed Twin Dragon at Pico and Holt, but that’s even farther East. :thinking:

1 Like

What’s the story of Hu’s Szechwan on National (Palms)? Its facade looks positively antediluvian.

1 Like

perhaps mai szechuan would make an appropriate response to hu’s szechwan.

It’s a bucolic Sichuan joint run by a curmudgeonly old-timer from prelapsarian days of yore.

1 Like

Thanks man.

At one time it was the best Chinese option on the entire Westside.

2 Likes

Thank you chandavkl.

While the SGV need not worry, the food is still good at Hu’s, nice spicy wontons, better than average KPC and twice-cooked pork.

1 Like