History of Chinese food (or lack thereof) on the Westside

Yes, the physical Westwood location was established in 1929.

1 Like

Nor did I position myself by the kitchen door.

Well since the topic now has its own thread, for those who missed them I might as well link both my wasteland era article from almost exactly three years ago Why Isn't There More Great Chinese Food on LA's Westside? - Menuism Dining Blog
to the update from this summer L.A.'s Westside Goes from Chinese Food Wasteland to Chinese Food Hotspot - Menuism Dining Blog

You forgot Asian people. Lots of Asian people also expect much of their “own” food to be cheap, too.

I can’t explain why, but I find (or irrationally believe) that many of those cuisines still have a flavor profile that might be more accessible to a greater number of people (Caribbean, Central and South American, and Persian, particularly) than does a lot of Chinese food. So I do think that @chandavkl has a a valid point about many people on the westside historically preferring bland food. And I also agree w/ @bulavinaka that this is rapidly changing.

Uh… I’m gonna say that Little Ethiopia is absolutely NOT on the westside…

2 Likes

The Palms area does have quite a few eateries from a fair number of cultures. However, it is unique in that respect. The rest of the Westside for the most part does not offer that diversity in that concentration, but how many areas do, right? This isn’t to say we have no enclaves either - we do. But my point is, that despite the resident population changing from one with cultural diversity to one of class, the diversity of food is impressive.

I haven’t met these Asian people who expect their food to be cheap.

If you think Indonesian, Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Persian and Salvadoran food is bland then you and I have different definitions of bland. To me they are all flavorful and wonderful.

The Indonesian restaurant near us, Simpang Asia, has the spiciest food I’ve even eaten. We are Airbnb hosts. I recommended Simpang Asia to a guest from Shezwan, China. He told me that the food was too spicy for him.

Many people define the area where Little Ethiopia is as the Westside, including Wikipedia. There are people who cut off the Westside at La Cienega, some who cut it off at La Brea and some die hards who cut it off at Western. I use La Brea as the cut off.

I know we shouldn’t stereotype ethnic groups, but being Chinese I feel comfortable saying that a lot of Chinese expect their food to be cheap. Indeed a lot of them are proud of it. It also explains why Chinese food continues to be economical, not just in Americanized Chinese restaurants, but also in Chinese communities like the San Gabriel Valley. And how else would you explain the fact that a lot of Chinese won’t tip more than 10 percent?

As your expertise on the subject is much greater than mine, I will defer to you on Chinese people and food price. I was under the impression that Chinese multi-course feasts could be very expensive.

Tipping is a whole other topic. So many people don’t tip. I believe that we should do away with tipping and pay servers a living wage. As I am an Airbnb host, I am often in the position of explaining tipping to foreigners.

I wasn’t aware that Chinese people typically tip 10% or less. This may explain the warm welcome we receive whenever we enter a Chinese restaurant that we frequent. :wink:

Oh, lord, I didn’t know that was true. Sheesh. Is that true of younger - say under 40?

No it’s the older folks who give small tips.

1 Like

Well there are some Chinese high rollers out there as evidenced by newer higher end Chinese restaurants like Bistro Na’s and some of the expensive hotpot places. And for special occasions, a lot of Chinese like to show off. But for day to day meals, a good percentage of Chinese diners are very price sensitive.

3 Likes

Then I assume you haven’t met many Asian people who live in the SGV.

Huh?

I wrote that certain international foods (which specifically didn’t include "Indian, Parkistani, Vietnamese, Korean) were more accessible. And I assume people who like blander foods will probably find more accessible “ethnic” food more appealing than other types of international food. But that doesn’t mean that more accessible = bland.

The Wikipedia entry says that Little Ethiopia is on the “Westside” and then later in literally the same sentence, says that Little Ethiopia lies to the east of Carthay Circle. If you hover over the link to Carthay Circle, it specifically says that Carthay Circle is in central LA. So it seems like whoever wrote one of the two entries is… confused.

By your logic, LACMA, the Original Farmer’s Market, the Grove, the Peterson’s Automotive are all part of the Westside. And I think that would news to anyone who lives in those areas.

I get that you have a point you’re trying to make, and I’m not buying it. And you seem equally uninterested in my point. I think we can both move on.

1 Like

My mom still thinks a dollar per person tip is completely sensible.

I cringe. It’s one reason I always, always pick pick up the bill. For the rare occasion where she pays, I add to the tip she leaves. She’s onto my ways now though…most recently saying she knew why I was dragging my feet leaving our table…

The thing that blows my mind is that she used to work in restaurants! Her (partial) reasoning is that many Chinese and Vietnamese restaurant owners do not share the tips at all and/or equitably with the lowly staff. Looking at you, Foo Chow.

Little Ethiopia Little Ethiopia is located in the Mid-Wilshire District of Central Los Angeles.

It is the stretch of Fairfax Avenue in the Pico-Robertson neighborhood in the Westside of the city of Los Angeles, California,

And this why wiki can be a good - not great - source of reference.

LA Times used to have the “Westside” section that was in the Thursday edition. This section offered a fair amount of high school sports coverage. The high schools covered were Westchester, Culver, Venice, Palisades, University, Hamilton, Fairfax and Beverly Hills. They did cover the local private schools as well - mostly St. Bernard’s and St. Monica.

So for news coverage, The Times did consider the area around Fairfax High to be included in the Westside. But obviously, it was considered to be the eastern boundary of the Westside. And since it’s been many years that the “Westside” section ceased, I think people’s perception probably have changed as well.

1 Like

I’m a Fairfax alum. In my mind that area is Fairfax. I never quite figured out what part of LA it was. Hollywood? It was definitely West LA for me but as a downtown/chinatown kid anything west of La Brea is “West LA.” But in my convoluted mind, that is separate from the Westside which is further west, like WEHO, UCLA and Century City.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve asked this question quite often, and the responses vary wildly, pretty much further east for those who live further east. And further west (often to extremes), particularly for people living close to the shore. Folks who’ve lived closer to the beach for a long time will tell you that anything east of Lincoln is not the Westside.

1 Like

It’s not just Chinese people. I think a lot of it is a generational thing - what generation one is relative to the place of origin and what was going on leading up to the time of emigrating. My mom was like David’s mom - 10% max. She was from Japan, and although her family was very comfortable financially, they too went through some very harsh times during and after WWII. Her father was kind of a rags to kinda riches story as well. So she learned through her life experiences that resources were precious, particularly land and money.

Many immigrants come from lives where poverty, famine and strife can be generations deep. So tipping - considered nonessential or optional at best - was and is always going to be an issue that will be on the extreme conservative end for many immigrants.

2 Likes

Windsor Hills, Baldwin Hills, Miracle-Mile, Mid-City, Beverly-Grove, Beverly Hills was always the Westside according to my friends who live east of Crenshaw. We’re talking even one block west of Crenshaw and you hear “Nah, Nah, Nah… You’re from the Westside.” Alright whatever. But to us folks west of Crenshaw, the Westside was Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, Culver City. The Marina was The Marina and Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu was The Beach. :blush: It’s perspective and we’re not going to find it on a Wikipedia page.

2 Likes

I never heard of Windsor Hills, Baldwin Hills or Mid City ever being Westside. Dorsey and LA High were in the Southern League for LA City School sports. Hamilton was in the Western League, so I guess west of Robertson might be one boundary which hasn’t been mentioned. Or Fairfax High on Fairfax.

3 Likes

These geographical boundaries are also cultural and racial. This one is a black perspective. We had friends who lived in Leimert Park and farther east who considered Windsor Hills the Westside and acted like anyone who lived there was soft. :grin:

2 Likes