Holbox by Chichen Itza

haha. If you click on the pic, you can see a larger version.

1 Like

Go to K&L and ask them to suggest a couple of inexpensive kabinett (dry) rieslings. They have a decent selection at the gentler end of the range (high end bottlings will run into the hundreds of dollars).

1 Like

I do admit, the thought DID cross my mind ;-D
But my innate civic sense of lagom prevailed. I ordered just one shrimp for myself.

1 Like

How was it prepared?

Spanish style. Simple light grill a la plancha, served with arroz negro (short grain squid ink rice). GIANT shrimp head, full of ambrosia crustacean goodness to suck on… Tail is perfect - Providence’s Santa Barbara spot prawn presentation comes to mind.

3 Likes

I’ve seen them on the menu at chi spacca recently if you want some turf with your surf.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn-dIcolJhi/?hl=en

3 Likes

That was funny.

As promised, the photographic goods from Holbox…

Carabinero prawn, arroz negro…

Ceviche with yellowtail & uni…

Scallop taco…

Baja shrimp taco…

That was some fiiiine eatin’ right there. For lunch #1.

14 Likes

Beautiful pics @J_L. :slight_smile:

I still can’t believe you only had 1 Carabinero Prawn. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

For the good of the many… (witness angelic beams of divine light descend upon me from the heavens as I proclaim this selfless act of magnamity)

That, and I was gonna have a second lunch right afterwards at Sea Salt:

Good clams. Great hush puppies. Extraordinary cole slaw (strangely, the one thing I cannot stop thinking about in this meal)

8 Likes

Do you wanna see what I had for lunch #3?

3 Likes

Ah that explains it! :slight_smile: 3 Lunches! :open_mouth: :grin:

Lunch #3: Jade noodles, Sapp Coffee House… The good folks at Sapp have really upped their game with this dish. This is THE BEST jade noodle presentation I’ve ever had here - I dare say as good as the Luv2Eat version now. The complexity in this bowl is startling. Sour notes, mixing with the slightly smoky duck, the fluffiness of the delicate crab meat, the gentle yet necessary kick of the chili, the crunch of the greens, all tempered by the Q of the delicious green noodles. All for $8.95.

9 Likes

That’s a fine bang-bang-bang. Btw how much did they charge for the carabinero?

1 Like

Carabinero al carbon con arroz negro: $15 per serving. Very reasonable. The rice (when paired with the prawn) tastes better than most paellas in this town.

3 Likes

Not bad at all. NYC restaurants have been known to charge $20 each, shrimp only.

1 Like

MomoFUK that noise!

1 Like

I think good cole slaw can be like good potato salad. I still dream about the potato salad got for me, say, 20 yrs ago from some random deli in Queens. ::sigh::

I’m so annoyed they didn’t have the prawn when I was there last wk!!! Argh. I’ve never had one, and it looks so delicious (and I love arroz negro).

Thanks for the reminder that holbox is so delicious. Stopped in before the laker game.

Had the carabinero prawn with arroz negro, uni and yellowtail ceviche (very generous with the uni), and octopus in sugo taco. If you haven’t been find some time to go now!

14 Likes

Dear mother of god

3 Likes