Holbox by Chichen Itza

I think they only sell the habanero hot sauce they serve at Chichen Itza and the Kut salsa. I wish he would bottle the morita as well, then I would be in salsa heaven.

Yin-Yang Holbox edition

10 Likes

Went back:

Scallop Aguachile. Perfection. absolutely no flaws in this dish other than more scallops would have been nice.

Mixto. I didn’t like this at all. Maybe I was eating/drinking it wrong, but I don’t understand how someone is supposed to finish that entire glass. A bizarre mix of tomato juice and orange juice that did not work whatsoever for me.

Uni tostada. I didn’t love this surprisingly. It was a bit too acidic for me and clashed eating alongside the Agauchile. Was also a bit difficult to eat but a very pretty dish.

Smoked kanpachi taco. MY GOD. This was amazing. Such smokiness and flavor with this, I was blown away by how good it was. This is a must get.

Fried Fish taco. Said it in my past review, but easily the best fish taco I’ve ever had in my life as someone who is not a fan of fish tacos and finds them too dry usually and lacking flavor. This is spot on.

Seafood stew. Sooo good. That broth is outstanding as mentioned before and a phenomenal use of bread to sop out all of the goodness. The fish is cooked to perfection and it’s a must get here. The usage of bread alone by itself is enough to have it surpass many of the standalone dishes at other esteemed restaurants. I would order that bread and broth on it’s own for $8 and it’d be worth it.

Not sure what else there is to try, but this is easily the 2nd best seafood in LA. The seafood tastes so fresh and delightful it’s a hidden gem.

5 Likes

That kut is so good with steak & eggs!

4 Likes

Not so sure about that.

Will try that! Sounds delicious.

I like adding it to White Castle cheeseburgers.

1 Like

39 posts were split to a new topic: “Hidden gem”: threat or menace?

Why do I have to have plans this weekend? Somebody eat these for me please…

6 Likes

anything new at holbox or not on the menu that you’d recommend? haven’t been since 2018.

1 Like

sopa de mariscos was introduced late 2018 and is one of the best items on the menu.

crispy fish torta is off menu.

9 Likes

i’ve been dreaming of eating that scallop aguachile again for three years. any reason to abandon the dream for the shrimp one they now have on their delivery menu (which i just thought to look at)?

paging the shrimp whisperer @hppzz

no, shrimp is really good too. esp the ones with the fried heads…may even like it more than the scallops because of that.

4 Likes

we have successfully holboxed. stringent checking of proof of vaccination to enter mercado la paloma, outdoor seating on a lovely day and great seafood (plus bistec a la yucateca from chichen itza): what’s not to like?

and yes, the shrimp aguachile and sopa de mariscos were very good, as were the ceviche mixto, the uni tostada and the tacos (shrimp, scallop, baja fish, smoked kanpachi).

18 Likes

17 Likes

Crispy shrimp heads!

2 Likes

I’m sure I could look this up, but how do people eat the shrimp heads? Do you just suck out the innards?

If it’s deep fried, you can eat it whole. If not, suck out its brains.

9 Likes

This is my policy as well.

3 Likes

If you are my son you peel off all the antennas and the shell around the head and chomp on them like they are potato chips (regardless of whether the shrimp head is fried or not). Regular people eat them as moonboy described.

5 Likes

I have cut my lip and/or tongue - more than I should admit - trying to eat the un-fried version.

3 Likes