Holbox by Chichen Itza

Has anyone been recently? What’s the indoor/outdoor dining situation like? I’ve got a crew of 6 of us looking to hit a spot before the rugby game at the coliseum on Saturday.

Sidenote : Is it kosher to byob there if you sit outside or is anyone nearby serving drinks? Please excuse noob status

Edit : In very clear words from their website it says no BYOB so I guess we’ll follow the rules.

1 Like
4 Likes

4 Likes

too conspicuous.

vodka burrito, much better

https://twitter.com/jodiekinzzz/status/896792931415113728?s=20

3 Likes

6 Likes

It’s all fun and games until someone starts drinking “apple juice” from their Foley bag… #Pißwasser

7 Likes

They have tables set up outside in the parking lot that you can eat at. I was there recently and did not see a single person sitting inside, but cannot recall if that was just because it wasn’t very busy, or if the tables were blocked off. If you had been there last Friday night, you would have had no problem getting tables for 6 outside. The rugby crowd could change that, of course.

All equipped to wait at Howlin’ Ray’s.

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

We were there about a month ago when there was no inside dining allowed, but plenty available tables outside - but like @sk8uno says the rugby crowd could change that. On the alcohol tip - we’ve been known to bring minis & discreetly pour them into Holbox’s sparkling lemonade.:blush:

7 Likes

Anybody know if indoor dining is open yet there? Would love to do the tasting menu soon.

it’s open, had a great lunch at the counter last week.

4 Likes

Perfect. Is calling them the best way to get tasting menu reservations?

i’m not sure about their tasting menu situation, i ordered alc. wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.

2 Likes

paging @set0312

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP1Q8JuDEiB/

5 Likes

Thanks – signed up for this. Totally up my alley.

Oh wow, thanks for sending this. I am signed up. For the price, it seems a pretty decent deal!

1 Like

I need to try to make it to this!

Gonna be @ the pez/holbox thing tonight with my wife if anyone is here and wants to stop by and say hi. I’m not certain of the FTC bat signal, so I’ll say I’m a dude in my early thirties with brown hair down to my shoulders!

4 Likes

Warrior: we attended this event. It was a pleasant experience and everything was fine quality. I was slightly disappointed though. In the past, I have enjoyed the dishes at Holbox in Mercado Paloma more than the Holbox dishes at this event. I have also enjoyed the Tikin Xic at Holbox’s sister restaurant (Chichen Itza)—and even better, the Tikin Xic at La Flor de Yucatán—more than the Tikin Xic at this event. Surprisingly, I thought the best dish of the night was Pez Cantina’s crispy soft-shell crab with garlic hummus, though Holbox’s hamachi tostada, driven by a powerful arbol chile and peanut sauce, was also good. Maybe I was just grumpy last night, because the pictures look terrific. I get grumpy sometimes. We are sorry we missed @set0312.

Peony: It was lovely to attend a special event like this after the long Covid experience. It was also nice to see the chefs collaborate to try to create something special. I found it was a nice experience and the presentation was definitely a step up. The food tasted good, but it was not special enough for a special event. Also, I feel there was no clear “theme” throughout the dishes, and I didn’t see any connections between dishes. Overall I liked the food but was hoping for more.

10 Likes