Holbox by Chichen Itza

so funny! hilarious.

If thereā€™s anything Iā€™m missing:

Coctel Mixto, Kanpachi and Uni Tostada, Scallop Aguachile, smoked kanpachi taco, 2 fried fish tacos, seafood stew.

2 Likes

I miss these!

6 Likes

Anyone know what the outdoor dining situation is like there? Do they have tables set up outside or anything like that?

1 Like

yes, they set up tables outside in the parking lot. canā€™t vouch for the mosquito and smog situation though.

8 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about weekends but there were plenty of empty tables on the weekday we went. The bug & smog situation was fine. If you go later in the day itā€™s a little windy, but worth it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Mosquitos and bugs were horrible last time I was there. Iā€™d sit inside

The weekends can be kinda busy for grabbing a table outside esp if the weather is nice havenā€™t been in a couple of months though.

1 Like

God I love this place. Hadnā€™t been in a while, but definitely wonā€™t let it slip again.

Coctel absolutely rules, really well balanced and not sweet or corn syrupy at all. Aguachile still might be a top 10 dish in the city for me, depending on the day. Smoked kanpachi taco is an easy winner. Just end to end bangers, no skips on the menu.

Outdoor seating was nice too. Itā€™s the parking lot, and you never forget that youā€™re eating in a parking lot, but itā€™s charming and shady and itā€™s a fun vibe out there. Highly recommend. No bugs, only the usual DTLA exhaust.

12 Likes

Pro tip uno: if you donā€™t see an item, ask them anyways and they might be able to make it. Done this many times.

Pro tip dos: purchase a bottle to take home of their kut salsa at Chichen Itza, it will turn mediocre meals into above average.

Pro tip tres: they have indoor seating that is spaced nicely and outdoor if you want. My major concern with eating outside is that it sometimes gets a little cold and if you donā€™t inhale your food, it does get cold quicker. Indoor seating is very spaced and high ceilings for those who make it a priority. Or perhaps order multiple times so the food doesnā€™t get cold outside.

14 Likes

What off menu items would you recommend? The only item I sometimes donā€™t see on their special board is the sopa de mariscos.

1 Like

Patas de mulas (blood clams) come and go from the menu. I order them any time they are available.

2 Likes

ā€¦thatā€™s always on their menu??

service is terrific, but Iā€™ve never been swarmed by so many bugs last time I ate there. Indoors is the only way to go.

Ok you have convinced me to get the Coctel next time. I wonder what the ratio of cocktail sauce to other elements is in there (based on the picture), but Iā€™m more than open to trying it.

Yes, the Aguachile is absolutely amazing. Will have to try to the Kanpachi taco as well.

Iā€™ve heard the Torta de Camaron is good, but looks a bitā€¦ plain to me, and Iā€™d rather dig in on that fish stew instead if I were to fill up. I bet theyā€™d make a killer lobster bisque.

Their menu says the Uni Tostada is sold out, so hopefully they restock it and itā€™s not a long term issue.

has anyone tried the off menu fried fish torta yet?

1 Like

itā€™s a great delivery vehicle for their delicious hot sauces.

1 Like

where exactly are these hot sauces? they just come with some of the items or you have to specifically ask for them? and which would you recommend?

I think it used to be a special but now maybe itā€™s permanent

1 Like

Live Santa Barbara uni and scallop ceviche is amazing if they have it. Also add live spot prawns to the scallop aquachile. Love the crispy shrimp head in that sauce. Sometimes they donā€™t have all the items listed, so just ask if available. I have gone many times where the shrimp torta was not listed on the menu and they will still make if they can.

3 Likes