Holbox by Chichen Itza

Great report. Looking forward to our meal end of June. The last time we had great tasting menu there at the Mercado was Mo Chica!

2 Likes

Wow! That was beautiful to read. My first impulse was to get on a plane and fly across the country.

5 Likes

Lol don’t do that. But next time you’re in town give it a shot.

2 Likes

holbox is probably the best straight-off-the-plane first stop from LAX. light, consistent :100: (although if more than 2 people, i will say the pandemic outdoor tables setup was better in this regard than the current mostly-inside tables setup, but the new extended bar seating is also pretty nice)

9 Likes

well if you’re crying and the person next to you is crying to while eating the food… looks like I need to try the tasting menu lol

4 Likes

from a yelp review in may; “We contracted Holbox to cater our wedding. Richard was very supportive…he gave us ideas on set up and worked with us to have our cocktail hour and dinner to run smoothly. The food was amazing! My now wife cried during our tasting. Our guests raved about the barbacoa, mole, chiles rellenos (for vegetarians), and Veracruzano fish! We did a buffet for both appetizers and dinner service. I would recommend them for all big occasions! Thank you, Holbox/Chichen Itzá! Good job, Richard!”

What’s with all the crying and emotion at this place?? lol The highest compliment!

11 Likes

Ugh, the world can be such an ugly place right now (and for many yrs) that I’m glad people are crying from joy. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I haven’t heard of a restaurant inspiring crying and emotions since the butcher on Top Chef All Stars lol

4 Likes

6 Likes

but… pretty far depending on where you live.

Holbox in Culver or Century City would be perfect!

2 Likes

Lol I kid you not the person two over from me cried during the lobster dish also hahaha. It was too cumbersome to put in the review.

I held it together haha I just had to chill in silence for thirty seconds or so then I could resume life as a non-emotional person.

Ugh I dunno why so much emotion. And remember we’re all dead sober bc no booze there!

7 Likes

That is a great report @set0312. :hearts:

Then it makes the emotionality even more meaningful. :slight_smile:

Julia Child teared up when she ate something Nancy Silverton baked on her show. It was very endearing.

1 Like

Lol it reminds me of the reaction to Tita’s food in Laura Esquivel’s Like Water for Chocolate.

1 Like

All this talk makes me wanna go.

I enjoyed the tacos and I personally think the octopus/squid ink taco is one of the best tacos in LA.

I definitely want to try that seafood soup which I am pretty I’ll love because I love cioppino.

What else for a la carte?

3 Likes

Shrimp aguachile is great, but maybe less fun as a solo dish. If you have a buddy it’s a for sure. I’m partial to the smoked kanpachi taco as well.

4 Likes

tostadas/aguachiles >>> ceviches
blood clams potentially underrated, and also take up very little stomach space
torta holds up decently well for takeaway as a snack for later, but it is fried/breaded shrimp so there will be significant textural loss…

6 Likes

Heavy agree that aguachile > ceviches.

1 Like

smoked kanpachi tostada is elite

2 Likes

Best Baja style tacos de pescado! This was an improvement from what I had years ago.
They 2 tacos and ceviche special today.

Smoked kanpachi, me gusta.

Big bite with the scallop and avocado together. Sweet, buttery, citrus. Drink that juice!
How beautiful is that avocado btw?

No more seafood stew.

I saw the fry cook with a huge while fish that look freaking fantastic.

Those habanero salsas made me cry lol

12 Likes