1 Like

No

Sunday 12-3

First sentence of the first post

Bio

1 Like

Ok RIF to me I guess .

Though it’s easier to ask than R

The Labor Day thai bbq platter was truly spectacular. impressive for the quantity of food but quality as well. Everything was so well seasoned and flavorful. Was everything perfectly cooked? I agree with @moonboy403 that the moo krob was slightly on the dryer side and maybe could have been less fatty and the picanha could have been juicier but it’s just minor quibbles. The picanha marinated in fish sauce was delicious even at room temperature, those rib tips were addicting! The kai Yang lacked the smoke from charcoal grill but made up for it being really juicy and well seasoned. The sausages, while personally prefer more chunky, still really great. Sauces perfect for dipping. The sticky rice and somtum was perfect complement. Really nicely packed. And did we mention that all this was for $58? And really that’s not even the best part—we’re thankful they did the cooking during this sweltering heat wave and had plenty of left overs.

17 Likes

looks amazing! (what’s with the chopsticks :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Yup should be scooped up with some sticky rice!

1 Like

Haha did use hands for sticky rice…was taking a cue from @moonboy403 and @PorkyBelly oniy for pictures and eating the somtum. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

moo krob - sun dried, deep fried crispy pork belly, black soy sauce and garlic chili lime sauce
These fattier pieces are much more tender than my last visit. But I think they would be even better if eaten on the spot.

pad thai goong | black tiger shrimp, tamarind, fresh sen jaan(rice noodle), chives, baked tofu, roasted peanut, bean sprout, free range chicken egg
Just as good as before.

13 Likes

Dude your picture game is getting ridiculous good lately! That seriously looks like the best Pad Thai I ever seen in my life

2 Likes

I don’t eat nearly enough pad thai to make any determination but it’s surely a delightful one!

ERTAT.

1 Like

completely agree with that!

1 Like

Agree. I’ve noted many FTCers are rising to the photography challenge recently. Our site is decidedly more photogenic than ever before.

2 Likes

Looks like they moved into their kitchen and no longer outdoor setup? Maybe that’s helped with the cooking

Looks like Holy Basil will be doing a seafood focus Yum Night at outdoor stools at Santee Passage and cooking in their new kitchen. sounds like fun and outdoor seating is sold out but take orders available.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFxnNvkjXls/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

5 Likes

ka nah moo krob - bangkok style crispy pork belly wok fired with chinese broccoli
another excellent dish, the pork belly had that sticky fattiness to it and was slightly crispy (wouldn’t mind if it was a bit crispier). throw in a bit of sweetness, heat and that rice and it’s another winner.

pad thai goong - black tiger shrimp, tamarind, fresh sen jaan (rice noodle), chives, baked tofu, roasted peanut, bean sprout, free range chicken egg
this has everything (as it should), umami, sour, sweet, salt, heat, funk… all in perfect balance.

pat gra prow - fresh picked holy basil, house special blend of ground beef, garlic, bird’s eye chili served over thai rice berry and topped with free range fried egg
just as excellent as before, and damn that rice.

10 Likes

Street style yum (salad in Thai) was the original concept of this group before branching into holy basil. They did a few street stints in York ave last year and revived it today at the outdoor patio in Santee passage. We opted for take out but there were plenty of widely spaced seating in the patio.

Replated at home:

Grilled dry aged amber jack, delicious great seafood sourcing. Flaky and tender went great with herb salad. sourced from dry age fish guy from the joint in Sherman oaks.

Fantastic nam khao tod. The contrasts between the crispy rice, house made sour nem, herbs was explosion with every bite. Prob fav rendition of this compared with lotus Siam, night and market.

This fried gourami was out of this world good. We devoured the perfectly fried meat and nibbles and gnawed at the crispy bones. Loved the perfectly julien makrut leaves in each bite.

Yum salmon, their interpretation of Thai style sashimi. Beautiful balance of heat with the coriander salad and nam pla. Simply Amazing. Also dry aged from la dry fish guy.

House made sour nem. Torched for bit of char perfect beer snack. Great sour flavor and texture.

Wished we could have order more—there were few other dishes you just can’t find on any traditional Thai menu—with this dedication to sourcing both the seafood and the vegetables (from smfm).

I’m certainly no expert but this has got to be the most exciting Thai food in LA. While Anajak thai is getting press for it thai tacos (rightly so), this is just straight up bold thai flavors many dishes I’ve never seen on menus, not even on Kris yenbemrong’s night + market.

If they combine the hits of holy basil and yum, they have our vote as possibly the best and most exciting Thai in LA.

12 Likes

Extended hours

2 Likes

Looks like they are soft opening Monday -Sunday now.

3 Likes