Holy Basil

7 Likes

The parking lot is large. So there is no need to go around even if you park closer 8th… you can just cut through the lot which will bring you to the area in your photo.

This is what I’ve been telling them to do all along… and now they are doing it for the holidays! Combining the hits of holybasil with really exciting dishes from Yum.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3WnBpBe5KnibDdeXEUejkA0XDbciqV8dizLo0/

1 Like

I had to make up for past ordering transgressions so I got double the meat @NYCtoLA. just as delicious as before, but with some nicely chewy pieces of air dried beef. be sure to level up with some holy sauce.

thai fried rice, air dried certified angus beef, chinese broccoli, free range egg

sai aou - seared curry pork sausage, ground pork shoulder, fresh lemongrass, red curry paste, makrut’s leaf
these were lightly spicy and full of flavor with a bit of a crumbly texture.

holy basil’s chicken wings
I think these wings were an off-menu special. they were sweet, sticky, spicy and crispy and not overly salty like some fish sauce wings.

8 Likes

Looks different than wings we got last time we there wasn’t any sauce. This version looks better

1 Like

so yay or nay? i may hit em up tomorrow night!

I hope some of you were able to order this! It will hit sour, sweet, salty, and spicy notes. And lots of garlic. Goes great over rice.

Throw in the Crispy Pork and Chinese Broccoli, Green Curry, Thai style Fried Egg (fluffy eat with copious amounts of chile sauce) and you got a perfect Central Thai feast.

2 Likes

they are sourcing barramundi which is the fish used in Thailand for this dish, or so i’ve read.

2 Likes

They are doing it right. The few places that serve this in LA won’t go thru all that trouble.

Unfortunately holy basil is coming out of season…

With Holy Basil this year and last years (or 2) with Northern Thai Food Club, it’s good to see some new Thai restaurants really going for it.

4 Likes

Ordered pick up for this Sunday but had to stick with the dishes that will reheat well. Going to miss out on these 12/24 only dishes.

4 Likes

Grabbed the holiday menu, sans the beef dish. It was a highlight of my year.

Mom and I finished the Pia Neung Ma Noow in record time, and–even though I was full–I kept spooning the broth over some rice. It was that good. @JeetKuneBao was absolutely right about the garlic, haha. It played extremely well with the chili, lime and other flavor notes.

The Grapefruit salad was excellent as well. A vibrant bite of summer on this rainy day, with grapefruit, dried coconut(?) and some shallots.

Holy Basil also has some of my favorite shrimp preparations this year - the charcoal-grilled shrimp was great too.

Each dish was served with a sauce or dressing - the tamarind-based one (Holy Sauce #1, I believe!) made the shrimp go from great to excellent.

No photos, was too busy eating :drooling_face: Sorry. I’ll be back at HB again on Saturday. So frickin’ good.

15 Likes

I’ll help you with the photos. Cant argue with @raihan Yum nights are things we look forward too.

Just consistently good to great, esp for take out. Pla goong isn’t normally grilled, but do love the smoky ness it imparted. The beef larb was really good too—different and drier compared to other larb without much of the rice powder.

Agee with this dish, outstanding. First, the selection of barramundi was excellent choice. Honestly tired of branzino or tilapia at many places around town—the barramundi was perfectly steamed, texture was silky and clean. And it had so much meat! the sauce was loaded with garlic ( @JeetKuneBao there was prob a cup of thinly sliced garlic under that fish) and had interesting balanced of acid, heat. Easily one of the best fish dishes we’ve had.

15 Likes

Nice! So glad that the fish turned out great for you guys! Just wonderful flavors!

1 Like

4 Likes

handmade mama’s egg rolls | glass noodle, wooden ear mushroom, ground chicken
Something went awry this time. The fillings are quite dry!

sai aou - seared curry pork sausage, ground pork shoulder, fresh lemongrass, red curry paste, makrut’s leaf
Crumbly and a bit dry but has a delightful kick and lemongrass flavor

pad thai goong - black tiger shrimp, tamarind, fresh sen jaan (rice noodle), chives, baked tofu, roasted peanut, bean sprout, free range chicken egg
Delicious as usual. Make sure you suck those shrimp heads dry!

8 Likes

How funny. We were there today (around 2PM), and the only thing we got that was different was adding a green curry! Our eggroll filling were just fine, thankfully. The green curry is wonderful and surprisingly delicate. I actually added the rice to the curry (rather than vice versa) and drank the curry like a soup. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Handmade Mama’s Egg Rolls

No photos of the filling as we were in a hurry to get to our destination and dig-in before the food cooled.

Rarely finding egg rolls with Ground Chicken I think I was most looking forward to these. Unfortunately, ours were a little dry and didn’t have much chicken, unlike @moonboy403’s early photos - plus the cap on our sauce wasn’t secured and spilled. :smirk:

Pad Thai Goong - Ecuador White Shrimp, Pan Fried Rice Noodle, Egg, Tamarind, Fish Sauce, Fried Tofu, Bean Sprout, Chives, Peanuts & Dried Chilis

I like Holy Basil’s packaging - recycled paper containers w/toppings in a separate tray fitting nicely on top to keep food separate & fresh.

Our noodles were slick but a little sticky, stuck - maybe due to travel. But the flavors! :hearts: Levels of flavor all balanced - the fish sauce, tamarind, dried baby shrimp, big plump white shrimp & the shrimp heads @PorkyBelly! :blush: A definite “melange of flavors” @CiaoBob.

Pad Kee Mao (drunken noodles) w/Fried Tofu - Wok-fire Smoked Flat Noodle, Egg, Bird’s Eye Chili, Pepper, Thai Basil, Garlic, Scallions & XO Sauce

Trying to be health-conscious we chose fried tofu over crispy pork… a mistake. The tofu was kinda’ blah & dry - crispy pork or the ground beef would’ve been tastier. But! I :hearts: this dish all the same and can only imagine how bomb it is with a different protein. Loved the flavors, noodles, sauce and that heat! :fire:

Gra Pow Neuh? - Wok-fired House-blended Ground Angus Beef, Holy Basil, Long Bean, Bird’s Eye Chili & Garlic on Purple Rice, Topped w/Fried Egg

This was originally called Pad Gra Prow (stir-fried beef, Thai basil over rice) it’s now Gra Pow Neuh (maybe stir-fried ground beef & Thai basil?) but I think there’s a spelling error ‘cause when I search the new name only HB’s menu comes up. :thinking:

Anyhoo! it was our favorite of the day! So good! :hearts::blush::hearts: I’m a white rice lover, but my sister gave me a sack of wild purple rice recently and I’m now a purple convert! @moonboy403 @porkybelly & @raihan. It’s like a nutty white rice, not clumpy & fibrous like brown rice as I expected.

Chinese Broccoli - Wok-Fired Chinese Broccoli, Garlic Sauce and XO Sauce :hot_pepper:

Looks innocent enough, right? It was ridiculous! :sweat_smile::sweat_drops: HOT! Definitely a time to utilize the heat level option. It was so hot that even sautéing it w/bok choy & other vegetables the next day was unbearable.:hot_pepper: I hate wasting food so it’s in the freezer for a soup or something… maybe.

Thyme Orange Chrysanthemum Tea & Joy’s Thai Tea

Nice touch, house brewing & canning their own beverages every morning. :slightly_smiling_face:

I half expected @moonboy403 to pop-up for his regular HB fix :grin: but unfortunately not this day.

Oh well… next time. TBC…

15 Likes

Glad you had overall positive experience. Will let them know about the egg roll issues. Our new favorites the last few times has been the tom yum goong, it’s by far the best tom yum we’ve ever had and bonkers good. the pumpkin eggplant has also been so comforting and been our favorite vegetable dish.

8 Likes

hi @TheCookie,

nice report, love that pad thai, gra pow neuh, and purple rice :purple_heart::blush::purple_heart:
I’m hearing reports they’ll be bringing back their fish dish they did over christmas.

gra pow moo krob - wok-fired crispy pork belly, holy basil, long bean, bird’s eye chili, garlic served over rice and topped with farmer market fried egg
crispy pork gets better each time I try it, really delicious. goes great with the drunken noodles too @TheCookie

kang kew waan kai (green curry) - jidori chicken, house-made curry paste, coconut milk, thai eggplant, thai sweet basil, bird’s eye chili, served with rice
yep, now with all dark meat and it’s much improved @NYCtoLA.

10 Likes

Thanks @hppzz! Yes we definitely enjoyed HB and want to explore many more dishes.

1 Like