Holy Basil

Another place that has tremendous wok hei in their stir fry dishes is Borneo Kalimantan in Alhambra.

2 Likes

Not vegan or even vegetarian by that looks amazing

3 Likes

Too lazy to post a pic right now, but the pumpkin and eggplant (also vegan) is gorgeous and delicious, as well.

5 Likes

I’ll post mine! It was awesome. Just pure flavors of a really good thai stirfry. Everything was cooked so well. I like it better than the Pad Thai we also got.

I also really enjoyed the eggrolls. Although I still think Peso makes the best ones downtown…

–Dommy!

9 Likes

Did you get to try one on the spot? After my 15 mins drive home, it’s not as crispy anymore.

Still gotta try that place.

1 Like

I live a bit closer… so they made it home just fine and CRISP.

And YES! You definitely should give Petit Peso a try! I love their Kare Kare. One of the best beef stew dishes What Holy Basil isn’t holding back with the fishiness (I ended up picking out so many ddried shrimp in my Pad Thai) Petit Peso is bringing on the funk. I love that chefs are executing these dishes that bring the true flavors of the cuisine. I just wish I was more tolerant of fish… LOL!!!

–Dommy!

3 Likes

Those tiny shrimps are my favorite and a reason why I think holy basil pad Thai is the best in town :laughing: but I’m so excited so many of you are getting to try their food! I see them being in next years 101

5 Likes

Can’t wait to try.

Used to love the pad thai khron khan at Yai on Vermont. Tons of dried tiny shrimp.

3 Likes

That is the only place I think that is doing a Isaan style Pad Thai. I love that place! Never tried Holy Basil’s version but I think Yai’s pad Thai is pretty damn good. I also think their Crispy Pork with Chinese broccoli or morning glory (with fried egg and prik nam pla) is the best I ever had.

2 Likes

Yeah, totally slept on!

I started going to the original Yai when Vermont Yai got rid of the kao moo pad kaprow.

I would/will love that too… I gotta stop messin’ around and get over there!

3 Likes

they’re an easy bang with hayato… just sayin

2 Likes

Ohhh… now you’re talkin’. I was thinking to do oysters at Rappahannock but I’ve had an oyster before. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s actually super easy to get there since it’s in the flower district. I parked behind the building… easy peasy… they even have Apple Pay integrated on their site.

For Petit Peso… I just called in the order. Super dooper friendly folks. Will be a regular stop when I am go to Whole Foods.

2 Likes

Thanks @Dommy!

Where is “behind?” Is it in that little turnabout (don’t know what else to call it) that has several other restaurants lining it?

We thankfully found street parking easily, but, w/o the pics of the location up above and the specific mention of the Santee Passage, I would’ve been mightily confused…

The parking lot on Maple. I went early evening so there was still a little bit of hustle and bustle on Los Angeles, but I turned on 7th and went down Maple and found street parking right near the corner of 8th. So I cut through the lot and was in and out of the area in like 10… With Petite Peso, I walk from Whole Foods or get dropped off (in the after times, I will be riding the train there)

2 Likes

i found out if you park on maple near 7th, there’s an entrance to santee passage if you cut through the parking lot, just follow the arrow.

4 Likes

Yep! That is the one I am taking about… that corner is sketchy… the corner closer to 8th… less so… which is exactly how navigating L.A. seems to work…

3 Likes

if you park closer to 8th you can also walk to santee passage through the loading area at the end of santee st that @paranoidgarliclover was referring to, just follow the do not enter signs.

6 Likes