Home Cooking 2018

Happy New Year!

We have no Southerners in our family, but greens and blackeyed peas are so great.

And because I am a Californian, thus not bound by tradition, I served this with couscous. Cheers!

9 Likes

Been woefully negligent with updating home cooking exploits*.

We started a New Years Day tradition of making grilled cheese and tomato soup. The grilled cheese came out of the new Alice Waters Memoir, and I made a miso tomato soup from the “Dining In” cookbook. It’s topped with a miso/tahini/honey thingy + sesame seeds + cilantro. Pretty solid!

*is exploits the word I’m looking for? Not sure!

5 Likes

Can you please paraphrase that soup recipe?

I AM from the South so it’s “Hoppin’ John” which has rice with the BEPs :slight_smile:

We’re on a cruise ship and they had a super tomato soup with large chunks of hard boiled egg to top with. Really good.

Yass. Sure thing.

Heat up some oil and chopped green onions till browned. Then add tomatoes. (I did two 14oz cans of chopped but you could do one can + some fresh too.) Add a can’s worth of boiling water. Then 2 T miso paste. Once it boils, it’s finito. Add in a T of tahini and blend.

The topping was a mix of honey/tahini/miso/lemon. Then toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.

Also, I realized I noted the wrong cookbook - it’s actually from “A Modern Way to Cook”

1 Like

Over the weekend, I made some duckonnaise (mayo made with rendered duck fat), and then tonight treated myself to a simple egg salad made with said duckonnaise.

Glorious. Even perhaps duckilicious.

5 Likes

Pork scallopini. Simple salad with arugula, baby spinach, olive oil salt. Also made a Farro Salad,wih tomato ,shallot, parsley, vinegar, olive oil.

4 Likes

Duckin’ A!!! I’d Duck dat!!!

Shrimp and melon with fish sauce vinaigrette. I love it so much right now. Thank you David Chang and @PorkyBelly.

IMG_6851

6 Likes

What, no head?!

1 Like

That’s what he said.

1 Like

I love fish sauce. What is a fish sauce vinaigrette? TIA

literally. the. first. result.

6 Likes

And you somehow know that this is what Bookwich makes? Very cool. I didn’t know that.

Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

1. 1/2 cup fish sauce (adjust to taste – some fish sauce brands are saltier)
  2. 1/4 cup water.
  3. 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar.
  4. 12 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 lime)
  5. 1/4 cup sugar.
  6. 1 garlic clove, minced.
  7. 2 red bird’s-eye chiles, thinly sliced, seeds intact.

Momofuku’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette …

https://food52.com/.../19682-momofuku-s-roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-fish-sauce-vina…

I have had trouble finding good whole shrimp lately. Whole Foods hasn’t had them and neither have the fish mongers at my local farmers markets. I suppose I could call Eataly to see what they stock. I’m sort of particular about my shrimp.

1 Like

I did a thing too. Stewed some chicken with dried mushrooms, sherry vinegar, soy, garlic, onion and it worked great with antebellum grits from Anson Mills. Been really enjoying celery tops on things

3 Likes

We were supposed to go out tonight - but ended up staying in. So our New Year’s dinner was egg salad on bagels from NYC, and tomatoes from our garden. And wine. And honey and apple to start. Not what I planned but? Tasty!

My big thrill of the day came as I was throwing together the egg salad. I felt too grumpy to use the egg slicer (no patience!) so I peeled the eggs, pulled out my 5 blade pastry cutter, threw them in a bowl and went to town, chopping them.

OMG - perfection! So easy, so fast and? The texture was way better than an egg slicer. Finer, smoother but not mush. I felt brilliant until I hit the web and discovered a few other folks had discovered that as well. Ah well, at least I discovered it too… And on my own - that has to count for something :wink::crazy_face:

This is the type of blender I have -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EKCO-EKCO-Pastry-Blender/19272735?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1609&adid=22222222227016755355&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52338743055&wl4=pla-79436115255&wl5=9031135&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113487702&wl11=online&wl12=19272735&wl13=&veh=sem

Same brand and style but with a wooden handle - it may be older than me! (Yay thrift shops : )

Happy New Year FTC-ers!

5 Likes

I’m hosting a thank you dinner party next month. For some reason, I’m having a hard time pulling together a cohesive dinner menu. I’m going to start with some simple snacks, wine, and a house cocktail. Since it’ll be November, I’d like to start with a soup…and I don’t know what else to serve. I’m looking for some inspiration based on what everyone is cooking for the fall season. One of my guests is lactose intolerant.

2 Likes

Keep it simple and fun . Soup party ?

2 Likes