Home Cooking 2019

I feel like FTC is my respite away from ethics police. I am too very mindful of environmental and health impacts. But I feel this place is for celebration of food not the problems. You do you but I’ll just not engage

3 Likes

Made an asparagus sauté earlier this week. I had some bell peppers and cremini mushrooms that I needed to use and a bunch of asparagus that I had picked up from Sprouts. I finished it with some leftover lettuce wrap sauce I had made using Chrissy Teigen’s recipe with garlic, ginger, Thai red chili sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil. It was a very popular vegetable side dish.

3 Likes

Hah! You have alot of strong opinions about stuff yourself, buddy. :wink:

Yep, I know my audience and try to be mindful of the ethical talk. I wouldn’t have carried the exchange much further. I think people should be able to politely discuss what they will and won’t eat, likes and dislikes. It also helps others not waste time with recommendations the person is not going to take. It happened to me. Someone saw I complimented something and kept giving me recs and shout-outs until I politely said I don’t eat it, probably making both of us uncomfortable. So I like to put it out there. But we should be able make a comment without others questioning, debating, posting articles trying to change minds (rarely works btw). Besides, I’m not a complete stickler about anything, so there’s no use arguing with me when you might see me take a bite of a fatted calf roasted on a spit. Just kiddin’ but just sayin’.

P.S. People can talk about anihilating any and all species for their dinner plate but get squeamish when someone talks about what they won’t eat for ethical, religious or health reasons.

Happy Eating And Talking About Whatever You Want!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, baby! Time to start digging into some Asparagus! Looks pretty!

1 Like

Definitely I just was voicing my thought process on not wanting to personally go down that route here but I’ll read whatever y’all say. I do all my preaching in places I’m not just trying to be the best glutton

1 Like

Perhaps combine this with “What’s Cookin’”?

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Meatball recipe calls for beef, pork & veal. I substitute the veal for ground chicken (not turkey!). The beef gives firmness, pork gives flavor & fat and ground chicken gives the delicacy that normally comes from veal, imo anyway. I purée onions, garlic, parsley & chicken broth, then add mixture to meat, along with salt, red pepper flakes, eggs, plain breadcrumbs & parmigiano-reggiano - combine without overworking meat. Hey, those toasty points sticking out are from dinner at Republique. This is one of my dear husband’s favorite dinners. They’re fun to make but take hours! :sweat_smile::sweat_drops:

Orange Salad w/Lavendar & Fennel Pollen Goat Cheese, Dried Cranberries, Candied Walnuts, Croutons and Bomb-ass Salad Dressing

Dressing is made from heating orange juice then soaking cranberries in the warm liquid, add olive oil, grated orange peel, orange champagne vinegar (optional), white wine vinegar or skosh of white vinegar, salt & pepper and refrigerate. :kissing_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

holy shit that spaghetti and meatballs looks awesome.

5 Likes

Thanks!

The salad dressing sounds interesting, I am going to give it a try. I love a nice vinaigrette.

2 Likes

how many yolks in the meatyballs?

big ole pot of borsch

3 Likes

Meat stock base ? I like to cook mine with a little white vinegar and dill . Nice looking pot of borsht.

1 Like

More than you asked for…

Purée:

• 1/3 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine
  • 1/4 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic

Add to:

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 pound ground veal or ground chicken
  • 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano or pecorino
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon salt (depending on your taste)

Don’t overwork the meat and coat your hands with olive oil when shaping the balls. Brown batches in 1/2 inch olive oil, on all sides, about 15 mins.

You can tweak the meat. egs., if you want them sturdier reduce ground chix and add more beef. I’m thinking of adding more more pork (flavor). But the measurements for the other ingredients are spot on. Whenever I try to guesstimate they’re not as good.

Simmer in sauce for 1hr. Since the meatballs are the star in this one (and time consuming) I don’t go crazy making sauce from scratch. I gussy this up with tomato paste browned in oil, dried Italian herbs, extra garlic, broth, white wine, bay leaf, salt, pepper - sugar & butter if it’s too acidic. I put in a few chopped anchovies as well, but that’s optional.

It has all the aromatics, herbs, everything in it and a lot of basil, but no salt or oil.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Shows how exciting my life is: I’ve been thinking about making meatballs :slight_smile: I’m not sure I ever have so thanks for this.

1 Like

Orange Vinaigrette:

It calls for bringing a cup of OJ to a simmer then remove from heat, add & soak cranberries for 30 minutes then discard soaking liquid and use a few tablespoons of fresh juice for the dressing, adding cranberries back in. I had no OJ (just a few fresh oranges which barely made a cup). I used a few tablespoons of the soaking liquid, mixed it all together and refrigerated.

1 Like

Nice. I bet any extra it would make a nice marinade.

1 Like

Oh nice. Yeah, I couldn’t bring myself to discard the juice. I was like “What? No.”

1 Like

I like the puree as a twist . I’ll have to try this .

1 Like

I think it keeps them moist.

1 Like