Home Cooking 2019

I have gone to 3 different Costcos with no luck. Maybe a regional thing?

I live in Nor Cal . They have plenty of diamond crystal in the box at Raleys

1 Like

Hmmm. Maybe - where are you?

I am in Los Angeles and the Los Feliz Costco has it. Here is the item number if you want to call your costco’s and check - 944413.

Oddly enough the Sam’s Club in Gardena - nope. And I called GFS (Gordon Food Service) in Ohio (just cuz) and - nope.

1 Like

Curried peanut and cauliflower salad. Dressing is mayo, peanut butter, curry powder, and a splash of rice vinegar (any mild vinegar works). Spanish peanuts dumped on top - uncooked diced celery and lots of green onions in with the steamed florets.

2 Likes

WOW! Did you make this up or is it a recipe? I saw the photo and thought WTF but then read your description and it sounds wonderful. Thanks.

2 Likes

:smile: It’s an evolution of a recipe that my family thinks might have originated in an issue of Sunset - but we’re not certain.

Original recipe was a curried peanut potato salad, using unpeeled red-skin potatoes - also included sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, and maybe golden raisins.

I made it with cauliflower one time when my potatoes had gone bad and think I prefer it to the potato version.

3 Likes

Stopped at Vons to pick up something this afternoon and decided to check for the DC salt. They had two boxes so I grabbed them both! At the register, the older gentleman cashier asked me what was so special about this salt. I told him i had been looking for it everywhere and I was happy to see it there. He told me a few people have come by to buy multiple boxes and one person told him that store was the only one in the area carrying it.

3 Likes

Boogiebaby -

Hooray! So glad you found it! And nice that other folks found it as well : )

2 Likes

i roasted a whole duck for the first time today. dry rub with ground spices (cumin, coriander, cinnamon); in the fridge for a day to dry. then 300f for an hour, 325 for another hour and 425 for 20 minutes. rested for 15 minutes before serving. not bad at all.

6 Likes

and oh, i made a quick kerala-style gravy with the necks and giblets and deglazed the pan with it.

How did you decide on that process? Is it a recipe?

for the cooking time i got guidance from some very experienced cooks on mouthfulsfood.com. the suggestion was either 425 for a short bit first and then 300-325 for 2 hours or so or the inverse. i went with the inverse (less pre-heating time). the spice rub and gravy were my own improvised “recipes”.

2 Likes

Liver Ragu.

I’ve made this twice, the first time was very sweet due to the carrots and onion in the mire-poix, the Marsala, and the Saba to finish. I couldn’t get it to balance at all.

Second time, I adjusted ratios, but it stilll tasted too sweet. I gave up, put the skillet in the fridge, and went to bed. Next morning I was hungry and I grabbed a bit of liver and it was SO good. The flavors melded overnight, just like a regular ragu.

Side Tip: Don’t use oyster mushrooms if you can’t get maitake.

9 Likes

Majordomo style beef rib. Everybody loved it. Whenever these are on sale at Whole Foods I have to buy a few plates. Thanks for the heads up @attran99

10 Likes

Great minds think alike! We did the same thing…but with Northgate short ribs. Not as tender as the WF version I made last week. Still tasty, though.

8 Likes

Nice!!!

1 Like

Looks perfect.

1 Like

Weekend experimenting…

The brisket was a nice way to relax on Memorial Day with family.

9 Likes

I like that.
Complements on your cooking.

1 Like

That meat is looking good!

What type of rub/prep did you apply?

1 Like