Home Cooking 2020

Acme is the brand that your bagel shop probably stocks (if it stocks any whitefish salad at all). They are the supplier for many of the appetizing stores in New York, like Russ & Daughters.

3 Likes

Blue Hill Bay / Acme’s better than most bagel shop whitefish salads I’ve had. I use better mayo in my homemade, but on a bagel with onion I’m not sure I could tell the difference.

Last tub I bought I was planning to vacuum-seal two or three portions for future use, but I ended up just eating it.

2 Likes

I try to haul myself out to Greenpoint a few times a year for Acme Smoked Fish Fridays, which is one of the greatest bargains on earth.

1 Like

Haven’t seen that in LA either

1 Like

When I see Acme all I think of is Wil E Coyote and the road runner

6 Likes

Got some gorgeous Trout imported from Armenia today. Fantastic with lavash and dabs of narsharab (Pom. Molasses)

13 Likes

Like a 1:1 ratio of cheese and pasta for the Mac n cheese. Doesn’t even include the butter, cream and milk.

2 Likes

After shot? I’ve never considered just cheese and pasta before.

Tomorrow. I made a roux then added spices, bay leaf, milk and cream and melted all the cheese in the sauce. Topped off with more cheese and toasted breadcrumbs.

2 Likes

Just kill me know…

1 Like

Toast

Blend, strain, then cook over low heat

Fin

9 Likes

Is that jaggery or rock candy or what? No salt?

Rock sugar. And yup, I added a pinch or two of salt.

I subbed out the usual panko for regular Italian breadcrumbs and added more shredded cheese. Everybody liked this version better. Literally not 1 macaroni left.

9 Likes

Chocolate peanut butter pie. Oreo crust. Chocolate silk. Peanut butter cream. Topped with crushed peanuts and crushed Reese’s Pieces. My daughter’s favorite dessert that I make. And maybe mine too.

13 Likes

That’s lovely!

1 Like

Some rustic Polpette Al Sugo.

Beef, pork, pecorino, etc. I like to fry them off, then simmer for a half hour in the sauce.

Simple tomato sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, tad of garlic, little onion, celery, carrot, basil, bay leaves.

14 Likes

Agreed. Quite good! I love it on the Milton‘s Multigrain crackers.

New York Bagel Company on San Vicente in Brentwood used to make an unreal whitefish salad. Excellent.

Ive seen it (recently) at Costco in Northridge, Woodland Hills, Van Nuys, And Westlake. Didn’t look at Burbank or Marina Del Rey.

It looks like this and it’s next to the smoked salmon and such.

3 Likes

I started to brown my meatballs on my cast iron skillet before dumping into the sauce. For a while I was puttting my raw meatballs into sauce but since I was using 80/20 a lot of residual fat was leaking into the sauce. I like the sear on the meatballs as well.

4 Likes

Is this a reasonable amount of microplaned parm for my 8 year old’s lunch? Should have never taken my kids to Republique, Lilia and Delfina.

9 Likes