Home Cooking 2020

Great job! With a long slow rise you don’t have to knead it that much - if at all. Someday soon I will finally do my bread thread. Not surprised about the kids with fresh bread.

3 Likes

4 Likes

These cuts apply to all beef, of course, not just Angus.

4 Likes

It would be a fun read. I felt rather clumsy cutting and shaping cold dough into logs. I wasn’t very good and ended up with a small air pocket in one of the loaves. I was also weary because I may have over proofed it during the last proof, but it seems the dough is rather forgiving.

1 Like

@attran99, looks fantastic!

1 Like

Nice buns

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I just never thought about the fact that the whole steer is a particular grade, of course. I love learning things.

1 Like

Baking at Republiqué - Brioche experiment

I made some small technical errors…I fell asleep and let the first proof go too long before letting it cold ferment. I did deflate it as best as I could before throwing it in the fridge. I used convection bake instead of regular bake, and the part of the crust went a little too over while the center was not entirely cooked through. Lessons learned while bread making…
The chowpups still found the completed parts delicious.

13 Likes

You found this surprising? Did you serve it warm with good butter? Maybe a little honey? At any rate good job! I have been obsessed with Asian recipes lately so haven’t done any bread lately apart from steamed buns. Are you going to make the thick cut French toast tomorrow morning? It will cover any mistakes in your initial foray.
I wish I still had kids to cook for!

2 Likes

I have some Bordier butter lying around just for occasions like this. Also had Gjusta’s blueberry jam and a friend’s quarantine kitchen orange marmalade. It was a pretty tasty late afternoon snack.
French toast may be on the menu tomorrow. But I need more eggs…this dough required 9 alone not including the egg wash.

1 Like

Short rib in red wine with Weiser carrots and spuds over polenta.

Inquiring minds may be comforted to know it was choice grade.

11 Likes

Continuing my obsession with Asian cooking; last night I made tempura because the wife wanted it. I have shied away from this after reading up on tempura making, but I went with it last night. This site helped me a lot, 逢禅天ぷらチャンネル / AIZEN TEMPURA CHANNEL - YouTube. Didn’t take pictures as I thought it should be consumed as early as possible. I believe ideally tempura should be made one or two pieces at a time - hard to do when sitting down with your wife for dinner. Crap I miss cooking for friends! It turned out better than I expected, but I want to make it several pieces at a time when I can do it.
Tonight I made a foray into Hainan chicken and rice. I am no @JLee but it turned out to be delicious. I used Carolyn Phillips’ recipe from “All Under Heaven”. The chicken was perfect; moist, tender, flavorful, but the rice needed more punch. I have a lot of great chicken stock in the freezer, but she uses water to poach it, and I always try the recipe as it is written the first time. I made two sauces; garlic ginger, and chili. Delicious! Next time I will use half water half stock. To be perfectly honest I added a little schmaltz I had in the fridge. Could have used more.

12 Likes

I like her recipe from that book, its pretty good.

My current recipe though is a hybrid of what I’ve seen in thai khao man gai, Singaporean style and Cantonese white cut chicken because I’ve decided to unshackle my thought process to limiting what a dish can be based on geographic origin.

If you think you rice needs more punch my method is to not saute the garlic, ginger, and chicken fat with the rice before you cook it. I throw in raw minced garlic and ginger and sometimes shallot if I feel like it into the rice cooker season with salt and if you want to cheat use a little chicken boullion. After rice is cooking then I fluff the rice in chicken fat until it glistens and then allow it to rest in rice cooker on warm for a few minutes to let the chicken fat cook a little bit. IMO this way allows the chicken fat flavor to be more present and not overly brown and sink to the bottom of the rice cooking vessel.

10 Likes

Thank you so much! You don’t know how much it means to get tips from someone like you!

The finale of what can I make with left over ricotta. Blueberry ricotta lemon zest pancakes. Not quite Clinton St Baking Co but everybody liked them.

10 Likes

Family cooking projects, focaccia, pretzels, handmade (Marcella Hazan’s recipe with no pasta machine) pasta, xlb (a few even had soup :joy:) And chocolate dumplings.
image image image image image image

10 Likes

I’m call this the Odds & Ends Rice Bowl

I had a little bit of brown rice and some RG Mayacoba beans that were quickly reaching the end of the line. Tossed them in a dish with some shredded cheese and a green onion and into the microwave. When it was all hot and steamy I topped it with the remnants of a yellow bell and jalapeno pepper, a couple of radishes, some cucumber, cherry tomatoes, a small avocado and chopped cilantro. Not too bad for a bunch of leftovers :grinning:

9 Likes

LOL re XLB! Some years ago I made them. A two day process. They were ‘just fine.’ But not good enough to do them again. I just wait til we travel.

2 Likes

This lockdown/shut-in period is really depleting my freezer stash. Found 2 frozen smoked chicken carcasses, so it goes into the stockpot. It’ll cook/simmer for the rest of today with aromatics and will be used tomorrow for chicken tortilla soup. Any unused stock can be frozen like the prime rib stock I made a few weeks ago for abondigas soup. I got 3 large deli containers from that stock.
In checking inventory, it seems I’ve stumbled upon more frozen prime rib bones that I forgot about.

4 Likes

We’re certainly not hurting for food but you and I have very different kinds of problems

3 Likes