Home Cooking 2021

Sexxy!

1 Like

i feel horrible taking upskirt pics

2 Likes

Looks incredible! What’s the dough recipe? Oh, and I’ve just made the switch to the Caputo Nuvola for all pizzas and it’s amazing - loft, airyness, bite, it absolutely smashes it:

2 Likes

Vigorous Sourdough starter and king roost’s flour. Freshly milled is so nice!

70% hydration.
Weights depend on your pan size.

Feed night before. In the morning you refresh the starter while hydrating flour separately, then do the mix. Rubaud knead, rest, rubaud, rest, 3 sets of stretch and folds, 2 hours counter ferment, into fridge overnight for cold ferment. Bake day you pull it out for 2 hours, then into pan, rest, stretch, rest, stretch as needed

5 Likes

Seafood boil a la boiling crab at home

Had to split the crab legs in half because my pots weren’t big enough to support the whole leg.

17 Likes

The Momofuku noodles are very good. Comes out to about $2 per package. The noodles themselves are nice. They stay al dente and absorb the sauce well. We tried all 3 packets and my personal favorite was the tingly spicy. A bit of mala but not overwhelmingly so. We like adding some stuff to ours.

7 Likes

Interesting! I got the Momofuku kit from Sun last year and it was meh. I see these are dried. Where did you pick them up…

Online at their store. Waitlist right now. I got suckered into buying 2 packs for $60 to get free shipping. The $30 variety pack comes with 5 packages each of all 3 flavors. So 15 packages total.

2 Likes

Oh! That’s not bad at all! I paid way more for meh dried ramen noodles… Thanks!

Friend made us some bagels. I woke up early and made pancakes. Lox was on sale at Whole Foods. We’re trying to cut back on breakfast meats but those Farmer Johns sausages are so good.

8 Likes

Short ribs provenciale cooking all day in the La Creuset. Going to be great tomorrow with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies.

11 Likes

And was it? It looks great

Yes it was delicious. My son said it was better than the short ribs we had at North Italia. Is that a compliment?

The sauce was made from mirepeoix, a can of Bianco DiNapoli crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, beef boullion, oregano, salt pepper and a lot of garlic. The key ingredient is a parmesan rind.

5 Likes

Home made fried chicken, collard greens and mac n cheese. The Serious Eats fries chicken recipe is great and the 3rd time making it was a charm. I think I need to make the mac n cheese with more cheese sauce but still delicious.

10 Likes

I will match you; Scott Peacock’s fried chicken, Cook’s Illustrated potato salad, and a tomato, onion and avocado invention of my own. Great night for fried chicken (is there a bad night for fried chicken?).

8 Likes

I lived in Decatur when he was Chef at Watershed. He is so talented

1 Like

Great minds. That chicken looks great. The recipes are pretty similar except for the salt water brine first then the buttermilk brine. The big difference is that crazy butter, lard + country ham frying oil. Love that. I’ll have to give that a try.

3 Likes

I think I may have mentioned this before on this forum, but my grandparents owned a poultry ranch when I was growing up. So we ate a LOT of chicken and turkey. My grandmother (from Iowa) made GREAT fried chicken. When she passed I inherited her chicken frying pan, an old, beat up Revere Ware skillet with domed lid. I could turn out great fried chicken using it and to this day I am convinced all the years of seasoning she put into that pan were ever-present. Or it could simply be that RevereWare conducted heat awfully well :wink:

Alas, a landlord replaced the range in a house I was renting and didn’t realize there were any pans in the old unit when he hauled it away. I haven’t made really good fried chicken since then. But chicken was on my mind last night when I made Chicken Piccata Meatballs for dinner

Served over mashed potatoes along with some green beans. Not fried chicken, but 'twas pretty good.

10 Likes

That looks really good!
My grandmother, from Virginia not Iowa, was a big influence on my love of cooking as well.

2 Likes

Buddy came back from a fishing trip in Alaska and brought me a load of halibut, sable and raker. Got inspired to make some bouillabaisse. Worked off the Mark Bittman NYT recipe. I made a quick stock with shrimp shells and a couple sacrificed clams and then combined it with some chicken stock I had in the freezer.

Kept my fennel pieces pretty big instead of chopping them up. In addition to the halibut I had some shrimp, clams and some frozen nz green lips. The pre-blanched mussels weren’t that good but I felt like they were a necessary visual element.

Went the lazy route on the rouille and just combined mayo, garlic and some aji paste. Worked out pretty good.

11 Likes