Home Cooking 2021

Mashed potatoes. Then extra for whatever experimenting I may do.

4 Likes

Yum can’t wait to see what you make

1 Like

Thanksgiving dinner ramen with egg, ham, Tokyo negi and fried onion strings. Great use of leftovers.

9 Likes

Thanksgiving dinner, before gravy was added:

Field Roast roast; roasted sprouts with lots of garlic; stuffing (mushrooms, celery, onions, toasted pecans, several types of bread, veggie broth steeped with sage/rosemary/thyme); mashed potatoes (Miyoko’s butter). Gravy was a bunch of roasted mushrooms and garlic with a mushroom bouillon cube and vegetable broth.

Edited to add: also not pictured are rolls and green beans with toasted almonds. Or dessert. :grin:

8 Likes

@ElsieDee, I like the 1:1 garlic to Brussel sprouts ratio, :smiley:.

5 Likes

:grin::crazy_face:

That was about 4 lbs of sprouts, pre-trimming, and 2.5 heads of garlic. Was concerned that the sprouts were going to be torched before the garlic was done, so there was much shifting and un/covering the baking sheet and adjusting the oven temp.

Ended up pretty darn near perfect - and with the perfect ratio, as you insightfully noted!

5 Likes

I brought the pie: black bottom Pecan pie made with Steen’s cane syrup & a pear Tart

11 Likes

What are you doing for Thanksgiving in 2022?

6 Likes

My ocntribution to Thanksgiving yesterday. Dutch Apple Pie, caramel sauce and ice cream were added later

I also brought the stuffing but it doesn’t really photograph very well :wink: :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

@DiningDiva, if that tastes as good as it looks it must have been wonderful!

1 Like

The only photo taken yesterday…the sweet snacks display. Assembled with items sourced by local bakeries and chocolate.

There was also…

• Charcuterie and formage
  • Vegetable crudités
  • Cheese toasts
  • Roasted citrus & herbs turkey
  • Honeybaked ham
  • Garlic confit mashed potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Creamed corn
  • Creamed spinach
  • Corn casserole
  • Salad
  • Assorted pies and cake

And then the requisite turkey stock today…

12 Likes

T-Day as at our house… So we made most of the meal…

The centerpiece was a deboned, dry brined and then smoked turkey. It cooked ASTOUNDLY Fast and was quite delicious. But deboning was a mess and P. seemed to feel like was a bit of flavor loss because of the bones.

Not that we didn’t use the bones… The bones were added to a huge tamale pot of water and then reduced down for nearly 24 hours. In the end, we got what can best be described as Turkey Tokotsu. It was insane how rich this was. Even when we kinda rounded it out with some wine and spices… It’s like a clump in our fridge right now. It was tasty… but P. missed our usual Mushroom Gravy…

Mom made her famous carrots. I made fancy green bean casserole (Would do again, but maybe top with french fried onions like tradition dictates) and we used Russets for our whipped potatoes… which were fine, but I think I perfer Yukon Golds still. Surfas Frozen Baguette and Vermont Creamery Butter on the table. Bread and butter are MUST have for us. That is why Stuffing hasn’t made an appearance at our table for a few years now.

As for dessert… This year my Blackberry vine got nicely established and got enough to bake a pie. Even frozen, they kept their lovely shape and flavor. One our neighbors was selling her Chocolate Pecan Pies and so I bought one and it was astoundingly good. Another neighbor took up coffee roasting and so that is what we had with (We always drink coffee after dinner).

Although last year, we did have Thanksgiving, we are all boosted and saw a lot over the last year to feel so much more at ease to get together. I did love however being able to tell the story about neighbors just trying new things and helping each other as we all sought to get by on this. We all tried our hardest to get through this together.

13 Likes

It was

Your sweet snack display looks fantadtic

2 Likes

You want this stuff. Especially Cascatelli

4 Likes

I was a bit skeptical (and I can’t stand the podcast)… but we enjoyed the Cascatelli quite a bit. It was magic with Serious Eats Vodka Sauce. But still, it’s not quite the pasta for all recipies. Pappardelle remains my favorite.

Supposedly Cascatelli is going to be showing up in stores. In Whole Foods right now is this whole wheat pasta… it’s WONDERFUL!

1 Like

oooh… tell me why you’re not into the pod? i have it dialed up for tomorrow.

It’s a little more on the pontification side than the informative side. I mean… even to think that there are ‘bad’ pasta shapes and a perfect pasta shape. It just rubs me the wrong way. But if you like those personality type podcasts/Youtubes, then you may enjoy it. -D!

5 Likes

Because we had too much food on T-Day, we skipped mac & cheese.
I then made it for the kids a couple of days later.

11 Likes

This exists? Haha JK. I cut out 2 sides this year as well. Think we need to make proteins next year.

3 Likes