Home Cooking 2021

I’m generally not a recipe person, but here’s the process I would use. Apologies if I’m too detailed but I’m writing this not knowing your cooking experience.

Ingredients:
Red onion/white onion
Steak preferably flank or skirt (your choice of beef for stir fry)
Tomatoes quartered
Fries either homemade or frozen and reheated (these should be hot and crisp or close to ready while you’re cooking)

Sauce
Soy Sauce and cooking oil (60/40 ratio)
Salt (just a pinch)
White vinegar (1/2 the amount if the oil you put in)
Dried herbs (up to you some places seem to put garlic powder, oregano, or add a little cumin in their sauces, I prefer mine without)
A little water to add volume and make it less salty if it’s too salty.

With sauces its just feel but you should probably taste it before hand (don’t want it overly salty or vinegary). For amounts, I would just picture the bottom of whatever pan you are cooking with and make sure that the amount of sauce could fill the bottom of the pan just slightly and coat your ingredients and allow for some room for some of the liquid to cook off when sauteing

Cooking

Use a pan that can take high heat and that has a wider surface area.

1. If you are using a nice steak or cut of whole beef. Sear the meat on high heat on both sides and set it aside for resting. If you have pre chopped meat or just ok beef you can skip this step. Leave any residual juices in pan

2. After resting slice meat in the sizes you want (usually strips or chunks) don’t worry if the insides are pretty rare

3. Add cooking oil in the same pan and brown the onions and tomatoes (If you didn’t sear the whole steak in step 1 you would do it at this stage). Med high heat to high heat (the higher you go the more likely your food can burn but you want to achieve a sear). You can stir from time to time but the more you stir the less your food will brown and the more it will steam. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to see the bottom of your pan through the ingredients when trying to achieve a good sear on any food, too crowded and it will steam. Make sure your pan is hot enough there should be loud sizzling, otherwise you’re gonna end up steaming your food.

4. Once appropriately browned, crank the heat up really high. Add the sauce (be careful it will splatter). Begin stirring the food around the sauce and the ingredients with the goal of coating the food. After sauce has appropriately reduced add in steak slices cook until your desired doneness taking care not to overcook the beef. When ready add fries at final stage stir fries around to make all fries coated with sauce. Don’t leave too long or you’ll over cook beef and make the fries soggy.

Serve with rice and aji sauce and eat immediately.

If you have any questions let me know. Happy eating!

4 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos wow thanks for the detailed recipe. I’m going to make this next week for dinner.

1 Like

I have used that recipe with excellent results as well.
Vallarta Markets often carry fresh aji amarillo peppers as well as the paste.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Another option is El Super.

El Super has a large selection of Peruvian items including the various pastes.

1 Like

Almost home cooked. @JLee prd mapo kit. Added finely diced king oyster mushrooms and ground pork. A steal at 8 dollars including local organic tofu.

Accompanied with standard garlic stir fried gai lan.

Easy weeknight meal.

15 Likes

Almost home cooked. Frozen pizza crust from Trader Joe’s topped with evo and sautéed garlic, slightly wilted garlic spinach, cherry tomatoes tossed in balsamic, cold pulled Costco chicken, and shaved Parmesan.

8 Likes

First vacation since lockdown. Staying in a little family place in Montana. Gorgeous!
Been cooking almost every night, but tonight finally took a picture. Pasta with artichoke hearts, asparagus and olive oil fried eggs. Bonus pic of dining room window view.

17 Likes

Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

Thanks! Incredibly beautiful here.

2 Likes

Made some Greek-ish chicken thighs.

Olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, thyme and oregano, salt and pepper, and a big pinch of red pepper flakes. Marinated, then lightly browned skin side in skillet, flipped them over, tossed in the lemon wedges and baked at 400° for about 30 minutes or so.

Gotta say, it was damn tasty.

Served on some smashed red potatoes.

12 Likes

It looks pretty damn tasty in the photo too. Great job!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

My daughter and I hung out all afternoon. I said she could pick any place to eat lunch. This is what she asked for. Tomato, cucumber, onion, chickpea, cheese and chicken salad with red wine vinegar olive oil garlic dressing. Kids these days.

7 Likes

Looks like you are doing a good job raising her.

2 Likes

I want that for lunch only with tuna in place of chicken.

But there’s leftover pizza.

2 Likes

Kubaneh…Yemini flatbread thought to be the precursor to croissants and laminated doughs

Fairly straightforward dough…flour, sugar, salt, water and yeast. Mix and knead, let proof. Divide dough into 8 pieces, make dough balls, proof again.

Now comes the fun part. Load up your counter, marble or whatever it is you’re going to shape the dough on with butter. Heavily butter a springform pan. Take one of the dough balls and slather on a tablespoon of butter. Did I mention this was a butter bomb? Push, pull, stretch or prod the dough into a very thin, square/rectangle sheet, you should be able to see through it. Do a letter fold and then roll it up

Cut the roll in half and put in the buttered pan. Repeat with the remaining dough balls. One last proof and then into the oven.

The golden parts are crispy, crunchy the interior soft, stretchy and chewy. Makes a nice tear and share, better warm than cold.

19 Likes

One of the top meals I have seen on FTC

1 Like

@DiningDiva
:flushed:WOW!

1 Like

Wow that looks amazing.