Home Cooking 2022

I really like Melissa Clark’s arugula salad with anchovy dressing in NYT Cooking. Goes great with a ribeye.

7 Likes

Very random question. I’m glamping at Cava Robles staying in a cabin. I pre made a lasagna thinking we had an oven. We only have access to a microwave, electric induction stove and an propane grill. What’s the best way to cook the lasagna? I’m pretty sure I’m microwaving this sucker and rotating every couple of minutes but appreciate any McGyver like suggestions.

Same thing with the brownies I was going to make for dessert. Microwave?

3 Likes

If the grill has a cover, you can use it as an oven.

Microwaves are awful for pasta and other farinaceoua dishws but it would be edible.

Brownies, maybe cook like a pancake?

Grill for the lasagna. I’d try putting it on the top rack, if possible, or using indirect heat.

You can also use the grill for brownies…thought I have seen it done in a microwave (maybe on Top Chef or a similar cooking competition).

1 Like

What IS that? Please.

I’m probably using the incorrect words.

I am too lazy and kinda drunk to cook this lasagna on the grill so I’m microwaving at half power level for 15 mins. I’m sure it’s going to be terrible but Dave Chang loves the microwave.

2 Likes

“hot plate.” Have a one burner one myself.

Decades ago I reheated a lasagna on our grill with the lid down. Due to a power failure. It was fine. Not great but totally edible.

The main problem with microwaving is the texture ends up soft and mushy, like canned pasta. Flavor should be fine.

Yeah the microwave is gonna really fuck up the texture. Maybe cook through in there and then slice and use the stove to sear each side of each piece like this:

2 Likes

The lasagna ended up fine in the microwave. Tasted great. The noodles were a little weird. Soft in some spots and Al dente in others.

5 Likes

Were they the no-boil aka oven-ready noodles?

Yes Dececco brand

Better suited for microwave than precooked.

That would have been a much better way to cook it. I think I’m going to be trying microwave brownies today. Wish me luck.

2 Likes

While I always make a recipe the first time exactly how it is written (I figure the author put hours or days into this so I should try it as it was meant to be before I change anything); this was my second time making Sheldon Simeon’s “Huli Huli Chicken” from “Cooking Real Hawai’i”. So I innovated.
I have been enthralled with cooking chicken on my new SNS rotisserie. I decided to do a huli huli chicken (which translates as "flip flip"as it is a spatchcocked chicken recipe designed to be flipped several times during the cooking.)
So I figured a rotisserie flips things constantly. Why not huli huli huli huli… Worked out beautifully although I made a mistake with too low a cooking temperature as I was burning about burning the skin. Took longer than it should have, but very juicy result.

11 Likes
2 Likes

I need a new cookbook like I need more holes in my head. But after much grinding of my back teeth, hand-wringing and consternation I got seduced into buying Snacking Cakes and let’s just say I’m not sorry about it.

I’ve made 4 different cakes from it and all 4 have been a delicious delight.

My favoriteby far has been the Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing. The icingis money, I’d eat that out of the bowl without the cake. But then I’ve been known to eat peanut butter out of the jar, so I guess it’s not a surprise I like the icing so much.

For this one I put the lime en de coconut for a nice tropical treat to go along with our current heat wave. The lime over powered the coconut, so I’d probably add a bit of coconut extract to even out the combo, but altogether it was a nice cake.

No photos but I also made the Grapefruit and White Chocolate cake and the fudgey chocolate cake with fluffy white icing. All the cakes are an absolute breeze to make and so far no clunkers in the lot. My friends and neighbors have been the happy recipients or my baking endeavors :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

13 Likes

Do you remember Will Owen from CH? IIRC he has around a thousand cookbooks!

3 Likes

I do remember Will Owen. We used to converse every now and then. I always enjoyed his posts. At the height of my cookbook collecting sickness I probably had somewhere between 300 and 400 cookbooks.

3 Likes

We’re FB friends and still converse a bit about food, of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes