Home Cooking 2022

Haha just made some avocado toast. We’ve been making it with a Mediterranean twist lately. Lemon, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, harissa, sumac, Aleppo peppers and some cilantro.

5 Likes

I was just thinking last night that our morel and asparagus season is likely going to over very soon. And I sure will miss it.

1 Like

bean and chickpea mixture again with el rey’s carnitas and multiple spices… really impressed the dinner guests this weekend. amazing with eggs as leftovers.

7 Likes

Made our version of Halal guys chicken on the flat top. Nice crust. Cauliflower with cilantro, lemon and a bunch of spices and turmeric rice. A nice luxury when you work from home and can cook this very quickly.

8 Likes

What’s your recipe for halal guys chicken?

1 Like

BBBBLT

11 Likes

We have a fave place that has a pork belly, lettuce, tomato, avocado and an over easy egg.

In case you need any inspiration :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great minds all seem to be thinking alike :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

Lovely! Have you perused Kenji’s BLT manifesto? The Best BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) Sandwich Recipe

2 Likes

Great season for a good BLT. Tomatoes!

1 Like

Our local tomatoes haven’t arrived yet so we won’t be having BLATs til they do. But were told they expect to have morels through August.

1 Like

So the Apostles’ Fast is almost over, and I am craving smoking ribs, grilling burgers, and cooking Peruvian rotisserie chicken again. However tonight I cooked one of the best dishes I make, Gumbo z’herbes. The recipe is from the late, lamented chowhounds.com (thank you @robert for saving this community from gas station videos), and it is a great recipe. Totally vegan. So tasty.

3 Likes

Can you share that recipe? It sounds great.

2 Likes

I have a .pdf I can send you. Not sure if I can post it although Chowhounds is long dead.

Leah Chase’s Lenten gumbo wasn’t quite vegan.

Though it was a lot less meaty than the usual.

Actually https://www.chowhound.com.

1 Like

First tomatoes of the season (I got them in late) as well as butter lettuce from the LettuceGrow, jammy eggs, and ventresca tuna from Epicurus. A wonderful Salade Nicoise!

8 Likes

Oh yum. Where’s the tuna from? I get Ortiz, which is line-caught Spanish tuna packed in Spanish olive oil. I love it.

1 Like

It’s “La Brujula” Spanish tuna as well.

1 Like

Thanks. Try this, my favorite sandwich in the whole world. I’ve even carried it onto airplanes - no stink. Flight attendants have drooled over it. I don’t use the artichoke hearts because of messiness.

1 Like

I made a pan bagnat the other day, but I didn’t let it rest long enough.

Ripe tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, roasted peppers, anchovy fillets, cucumber, and scallions are also common ingredients.

I buy two cases of 5.5-oz. cans of Flott at a time to minimize shipping costs.