Home Cooking 2022

Had a couple of ribeyes but didn’t want the usual steak and came across Food & Wine’s Ribeye and Vegetable Stew recipe. I was a little hesitant about wasting ribeye on a stew but the meat isn’t cooked low and slow like a regular stew so the ribeye doesn’t get over cooked and it actually turned out pretty great! I added some anchovies and chile powder for a flavor boost and some heat.

11 Likes

Some farms that sell eggs at farmers markets sell retired hens now and then.

1 Like

Use a probe to make it foolproof. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Beautiful sear on your ribeye!

2 Likes

Ditto… I’m trying that recipe.

1 Like

I think the live poultry spot over near KTown might have roosters.

1 Like

Happy 2022!

I gave shrimp ceviche a go for the first time and there’s really no reason to not do this again! Kind of want to throw in some bay scallops to see what happens.

What I liked is cutting most of the shrimp into thin long (lengthwise) pieces which reminded me of aquachile texture

11 Likes

whats in the liquid?

Superior poultry in Chinatown has roosters and old chickens but I don’t know if they have old roosters.

Definitely a great place to get a chicken fresh tho but the smell from that store is pretty strong lol

2 Likes

The cure is lime juice heavy (key lime tree here) and then a number of spices and garlic buzzed down, i think a little orange juice too. Cured, then mixed in with the rest of the veg. Biggest surprise was that it didn’t continue to cure the next day and remained fairly tender!

4 Likes

I make David Tanis’ mushroom toast recipe pretty often, but I add a layer of scrambled eggs to it. So good.

15 Likes

Nice! Shroom Toast is a staple in our home. It’s great with a salad on vegetarian nights.

One of my favorite recipes is a take on mushroom julienne from the Nemra’s Made-up Yet Delicious Recipes thread. Sometimes I omit the bacon fat… sometimes not. :relaxed:

This photo is before the salad was doused with creamy herb dressing and a flurry of TJs crispy fried onions.

7 Likes

Roasted Chicken

Small Young Chichen, w/a Pasty Rub (on & under the skin) of Adobo Spices, Sazón, Ruth Ann’s Muskego Ave. Chicken Seasoning (yep that’s the name), Smoked Salt, Vinegar, White Wine & Vegetable Oil

Roasted on a rack with Yukon Gold Potatoes underneath to catch the chicken drippings. No inside shots as I didn’t want hubs to go from hungry to hangry. I sacrificed juicy white meat a bit to get more crisp on the potatoes (yes should’ve removed the chix), but it was still pretty moist and the dark meat was bomb. :blush:

Served w/Creamy Aji Amarillo Sauce & Green Salad w/Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lime, Honey, S&P

10 Likes

@TheCookie, is the aji amarillo sauce homemade or store bought? If homemade, could you share the recipe? Everything looks delicious!

1 Like

It looks great! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Thanks @RedDevil!

I do make it, but this was from Chicken Shack in Hermosa Beach. I like their chicken, but LOVE their yellow sauce and get a pint whenever I’m there.

I haven’t nailed their recipe yet. but this is what I got so far - Goya Aji Amarillo Paste, Mayo, Skosh of Milk, Minced Garlic, Pinch of Cumin, Lime or White Vinegar, S&P.

This is the base…

4 Likes

Anyhoo, used the leftovers for Peruvian Chicken Soup.

Homemade Chicken Stock, Drippings, Chicken Stock Concentrate, Chicken Shack’s Yellow Sauce, Onion, Carrot, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic, Yukons, Peas, Garlic Rice, Cilantro, Lime, added Chicken at the end.

Gotta do some soppin…

12 Likes

@TheCookie, thanks!!!

1 Like

That’s a great looking chicken.

1 Like

Using up leftovers soup:

Leftover chicken broth + dashi, end of a Napa cabbage, extra rice, extra egg whites & previously frozen home made lamb gyoza.

11 Likes