Home Cooking 2022

Yum!

1 Like

The nutty flavor of the zucchini is what it like to hear . I’ll hit up the farmers market on Monday
Looking for the very small small ones . I dislike the the big ganglion ones

Part of the nuttiness comes from frying and letting them sit overnight almost like zucchini confit, lol. I used what was in my farm box but I find these rounder light colored ones at farmers market. I think they’re called Tatuma and Calabacita and are closer to the Italian ones. The smaller ones in the back I bought for the attached blossoms and aren’t as tasty. If the zucchini is bitter it ruins the dish.

Happy hunting!

4 Likes

I’ll have to try that.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find one recipe that I liked so I used a couple and watched that segment of the episode a lot, lol.

1 Like

Yep, the larger ones are Mexican Squash. They are SUPER Sweet. they don’t get stringly like crookneck squash either. They are what are used in Mexican braises and soups, so they stand up a little better than most summer squash, but aren’t as dense as Zuchinni.

3 Likes

That’s funny. Yellow crookneck squash are really the only ones I like. I find zucchini to watery or something. I cut the small (only) yellow crookneck in half lengthwise, oo, s&p and grill.

1 Like

The best!

1 Like

OH! I like Crookneck ones too. Especially grilled. One of my favorite blaze pizza toppings is their grilled Zuchinni (It’s a crookneck/Zucchini grilled and then cut into small cubes) and ricotta. Just SO GOOD.

They just would not work well in a prep of Cabacitas. Mexican Squash has a denser interior which stands up better for longer cooking times

3 Likes

Thanks @Dommy. I think that’s the Mexican zucchini one of the recipes referenced as the closest to the Italian zucchini!

1 Like

I agree, Cath. I grew up eating a lot of sautĂ©ed zucchini and never questioned it because that was the vegetable mom put on the plate. As I developed my own tastebuds I realized I didn’t love it - too watery. Until this recipe! Slicing thin and frying then letting it marinate in the oil and it’s own juices was a spaghetti revelation. :blush:

Speaking of the sweet yellow squash

Stuffed w/browned Standing’s chicken sausage, onions, garlic, squash pulp, leftover spicy Moroccan carrots, breadcrumbs, topped with matiz sofrito cooking base, Meredith Dairy marinated goat cheese, crushed red pepper.

5 Likes

Wow! Now I can see the advantage to larger crooknecks! Thanks a million.

1 Like

Italians sometimes salt zucchini (like eggplant) to reduce the moisture.

2 Likes

I always do this, especially when I am adding Zuchinni to something. One of my favorite summer meals is Shredded Zucchini (salted and squeezed) mixed with Ground Chicken and whatever herbs or spice you want and then made into patties, cooked on a griddle and served with Cucumber salad, hummus and flat bread. SO GOOD.

4 Likes

Doing this!

1 Like

My kitchen doesn’t have good light for photography and my plating skills are sorely lacking, but here is ‘Daddy pasta’ or ‘caccio e uova’ or whatever you wanna call it.

110g linguini
1 beaten egg
1.5 tbl butter
1.5 tbl olive oil
40g fresh grated parm. reg.
Black pepper

Shitty phone photography aside, this is goddamn delicious.

Is this ‘illegal’ because I didn’t use pecorino Romano? I don’t care. I’m just glad I only made one portion or my cardiologist would have had words for me.

6 Likes

Isn’t it great to have all these ingredients always on hand? We can return from a trip and still have a really good meal.

I saw a picture of beans and greens in one pot in a Rancho Gordo pamphlet they sent with my last purchase. There was no recipe so I just riffed. Normally the ingredients and seasonings I use with beans and collared greens are wildly different.
Beans - onion, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and cumin.
Greens - onion, bacon, salt, sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes.

How are you supposed to combine and cook these two things to have a cohesive dish? I am lazy and didn’t look up any recipes. Do you cook both in different pots then combine them at the end? Thought it would be fun hearing from others who know how to cohesively combine the two.

2 Likes

You use cooked beans, yes. Here’s a beans and greens soup I’ve made many times; I like it a lot.

Olive oil

1 T chopped onion

1 chopped potato

œ sliced carrot

2 canned tomatoes

1 pint stock

Πc beans

1 c chopped greens

Sauté onion in oil until soft. Add potato and stir. Add stock and simmer for 15:00. Add carrot, tomato, greens and beans and simmer for 10:00. Season with salt and smoked paprika.

2 Likes