Home Cooking 2023

Recently picked up the Gabriel Kreuther cookbook ‘The Spirit of Alsace’ It’s split between Home cooking and Chefy stuff. Can’t wait to start cooking from it.

2 Likes

Being a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner, that looks fantastic. I just found this recipe of Kenji’s which I haven’t fixed yet.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I had to double check the post because I can’t believe I didn’t write that sentence…

2 Likes

I love Alsatian food! I will check it out.

1 Like

Nettle season again - what with all the rain they are going crazy in the backyard - so I made pasta. As the nettle pasta is so delicious on it’s own I wanted a quiet sauce to complement it. The original Fettucicne Alfredo is perfect, The Original Fettuccine Alfredo | Saveur.

7 Likes

Not the “Hokkaidough” that @hanboooli talked about with Schellz but think I made my best Detroit/Jets square pizza imation yet.

13 Likes

I want to move into your house lol

4 Likes

Took advantage of Dungeness crab season with some Vietnamese curry crab. At 6.99 lb, prob best $25 meal ever.

13 Likes

No doubt.

1 Like

Doing a lot of Soups & dishes with Squash. It’s that time of year…

Harvest Soup

With goat cheese croutons…

Drizzled w/olive oil & roasted butternut squash, delicata squash, carrots, apple, leek, onion & garlic, added sage brown butter, skosh maple syrup, chicken stock & cooked for 50-60 minutes (low & slow) then puréed, strained & added skosh cider vinegar, salt & cayenne and heated another 10 minutes. The long cooking seems excessive but gives the soup deep flavor. Topped w/crème fraiche, drizzle of pumpkin oil, chives, pepitas.

7 Likes

Had it been “previously frozen”? We find that all too often but did find a 1.5#er recently that hadn’t been. We just have them with butter and sourdough.

1 Like

Live crab has been pretty cheap in LA lately. I’m surprised you haven’t had it in Seattle. I have been getting them for $6 to $7 a pound. Made so much crab stock from the shells I did Judy Rodgers’ 90% crab reduction. Such a delight to have in the fridge for seafood stir fries and soups.

Just found this:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/dungeness-crab-harvest-delayed-off-wa-or-coast/

Guess I need to take another look. I moved to SF in '76 and it was one of my very favorite things.

2 Likes

Lams seafood in Chinatown and tukiwla has been having them on sale for like 5.99 for a while now.

Thanks a million for that!!! I’m needing a Jade Garden fix soon.

I moved there in '78. We must have just missed each other. Used to go down to the wharf and catch crabs.
Back then you could ride anywhere on the MUNI for a quarter (my keyboard doesn’t even have a cents sign anymore) including cable cars.
The city was spotless and beautiful. I thought it was heaven until the fog arrived in June and I realized Mark Twain was right.
Enough with the nostalgia. I hope you can get crabs soon. My wife was in Dungeness with her best friend last summer. I hate to think that so close to the namesake location you can’t get good crabs!

1 Like

More soup…

Chicken, Leek, Noodle Soup

Avert your eyes @moonboy403. I used the Momofuku Soy Scallion Noodle kit. I had ‘em so I used ‘em. Added the packets to some schmaltzy chicken stock, water & chicken, sautéed leeks, sautéed garlic & a lot of white pepper, topped w/chili onion crunch, chives, cilantro & lime wedge. Yep, the noodles & soy scallion mix are bland without other stuff to liven ‘em up… and they can overcook really fast. But this was quite tasty.

Chicken, Ginger, Lemongrass, Noodle Soup

Chicken stock, water, lemongrass paste, grated ginger, white onions, carrots, dark meat chicken, rice noodles, orange jalapeño, cilantro, scallions, Red Boat’s Chris Cosentino Umami Spice. There’s more broth underneath than it appears. I have wide bowls and deep bowls but no wide deep bowls.

Oxtail & Smoked Collard Greens Soup

Didn’t make oxtails. :wink: I had leftovers from Alta Adams - oxtails, brown rice & oxtail gravy and collard greens with smoked oil in dark green pot likker. Took the meat off the bones and set aside. Simmered bones in beef stock to melt the fat & cartilage then removed bones, strained and added greens & meat back to the pot. Garnished w/orange jalapeños & cilantro.

Happy Soup Eating!

5 Likes

On a grilled cabbage kick lately. Grilled in duck fat till charrred and slightly wilted, tossed on bed of avocado garlic mayo sauce, dressed with parm, radishes, dill, and our version of crispy crunchies (quinoa, garlic, peanuts)

7 Likes

How do you smoke your oil?

Alta Adams did it lol. The collard greens have smoked oil. Checkout that dank pot liquor.

1 Like