Home Cooking 2023

Live crab has been pretty cheap in LA lately. I’m surprised you haven’t had it in Seattle. I have been getting them for $6 to $7 a pound. Made so much crab stock from the shells I did Judy Rodgers’ 90% crab reduction. Such a delight to have in the fridge for seafood stir fries and soups.

Just found this:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/dungeness-crab-harvest-delayed-off-wa-or-coast/

Guess I need to take another look. I moved to SF in '76 and it was one of my very favorite things.

2 Likes

Lams seafood in Chinatown and tukiwla has been having them on sale for like 5.99 for a while now.

Thanks a million for that!!! I’m needing a Jade Garden fix soon.

I moved there in '78. We must have just missed each other. Used to go down to the wharf and catch crabs.
Back then you could ride anywhere on the MUNI for a quarter (my keyboard doesn’t even have a cents sign anymore) including cable cars.
The city was spotless and beautiful. I thought it was heaven until the fog arrived in June and I realized Mark Twain was right.
Enough with the nostalgia. I hope you can get crabs soon. My wife was in Dungeness with her best friend last summer. I hate to think that so close to the namesake location you can’t get good crabs!

1 Like

More soup…

Chicken, Leek, Noodle Soup

Avert your eyes @moonboy403. I used the Momofuku Soy Scallion Noodle kit. I had ‘em so I used ‘em. Added the packets to some schmaltzy chicken stock, water & chicken, sautéed leeks, sautéed garlic & a lot of white pepper, topped w/chili onion crunch, chives, cilantro & lime wedge. Yep, the noodles & soy scallion mix are bland without other stuff to liven ‘em up… and they can overcook really fast. But this was quite tasty.

Chicken, Ginger, Lemongrass, Noodle Soup

Chicken stock, water, lemongrass paste, grated ginger, white onions, carrots, dark meat chicken, rice noodles, orange jalapeño, cilantro, scallions, Red Boat’s Chris Cosentino Umami Spice. There’s more broth underneath than it appears. I have wide bowls and deep bowls but no wide deep bowls.

Oxtail & Smoked Collard Greens Soup

Didn’t make oxtails. :wink: I had leftovers from Alta Adams - oxtails, brown rice & oxtail gravy and collard greens with smoked oil in dark green pot likker. Took the meat off the bones and set aside. Simmered bones in beef stock to melt the fat & cartilage then removed bones, strained and added greens & meat back to the pot. Garnished w/orange jalapeños & cilantro.

Happy Soup Eating!

5 Likes

On a grilled cabbage kick lately. Grilled in duck fat till charrred and slightly wilted, tossed on bed of avocado garlic mayo sauce, dressed with parm, radishes, dill, and our version of crispy crunchies (quinoa, garlic, peanuts)

7 Likes

How do you smoke your oil?

Alta Adams did it lol. The collard greens have smoked oil. Checkout that dank pot liquor.

1 Like

Having grown up in the South collards are my fave green. Mother said when I was a toddler, she was setting the kitchen table for dinner and had put the bowl of collards there. When she turned back to the table I was stuffing them in my mouth :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Meyer lemon tree is rocking. So I guess I make gelato now

5 Likes

Yum!

I just made Meyer lemon marmalade and a lemon meringue pie. Have a jar of preserved lemons from last year.
Your gelato looks delicious!

5 Likes

I’m preserving lemons for the first time right now. Wasn’t aware they’ll keep that long!

5 Likes

For the kids. Sfoglini trumpets with squid, shrimp, clam. Stock makes it.

5 Likes

Basic beets garlic Mayo salad we can’t live without at parties. Topped with some walnut butter we picked up in paso

6 Likes

I’m so jealous. When we lived at Lake Tahoe we had a second home neighbor from Alameda who had a Meyer lemon tree and she would bring us some.

1 Like

Yes it’s a huge luxury. I was just trimming it. It’s right next to 2 very productive trees. 1 regular lemon and 1 key lime

4 Likes

Been practicing Caponata leading up to our first visit of Sicily. (Nothing to do with white lotus)

Eggplant

Pepper

Celery

Olives capers

Onion, Tomato fried with onion

White wine vinegar deglaze

Toasted, ground cumin

Sugar

Everything fried separately then stewed

6 Likes

Now with homegrown cumquat preserves

5 Likes