Home Cooking 2023

I’m not normally in the habit of correcting people’s spelling (at least outside my own head), but it’s kumquat, unless you’re trying to be racy, and if you are, okay, then!

5 Likes

Ha. Thanks. It’s the ESL in me rather than an attempt at humor

5 Likes

:pray:

I like to do a sweet + sour thing with caponata. like Spain Sicily has a strong North African influence to their food, so I make a gastrique with good red wine vinegar, sugar and chili flakes, then I’ll add golden raisins (pickled if I’m feeling fancy).

So good!

4 Likes

Sicilian caponata is sweet and sour. It’s agro dolce not gastrique :p. Well done. Same page

Aren’t agrodolce and gastrique two names for the same thing?

1 Like

The lemon posts make me sad. :cry: Not because I don’t love them which I do and hope to see more lemony posts. But the lemon tree outside our window died this month last year. It was here before my family bought the 85 yr old house 30 years ago, so we don’t know how old the tree was. It hadn’t been pretty for years (unartfully pruned by various gardeners) and we never did much more than hydrate it during the hot summer months. But it continuously produced the most perfect, tart, sweet, juicy lemons. We have neighbors with their own lemon trees who would ask for ours, which we happily obliged because we had so many!

My cousin picking the last harvest not knowing it would be the last…

Did lotsa preserved lemons.

The last meal I made with lemons from the tree…

Lemony Chicken-Feta Meatball Soup w/Spinach

From a NY Times recipe that includes turmeric, cumin & dill and made the house smell delicious.

We’re not sure what happened. The tree doctor said possibly the underground sprinkler system installed a few years ago over watered it or the new landscaping covered the trunk too much or the soil was bad from the renovation debris. I don’t know. It blossomed beautifully for three years after all that. But now it’s gone! :sob: :lemon: I bitterly bought lemons at the market in times when the tree was bare but now that’s my life. They’re just not the same. Thinking of getting a meyer lemon tree at Hashimoto Nursery on Sawtelle. Any advice?

Thanks for letting me share my lemon tree grief. :lemon:

15 Likes

Our 30-plus-year-old Meyer grows like a weed and is absurdly productive.

1 Like

Yes, I only corrected it in jest with a smile to keep it in Italian context

Dang. RIP. I’ll share if I’m ever in the area again

1 Like

Thanks @Nemroz.

I’m so sorry about the tree. Sometimes tree decline is indivisible until just one day…

I would recommend getting another tree, they do so well in climate and many are ready to produce. Depending on your yard, I got a Semi Dwarf when we moved here and it’s been WONDERFUL! It gave us fruit just two years after it was put in the ground and every year just gives us more and more! Right now it’s absolutely studded in buds ready to blossom!

The size is super manageable. It hasn’t grown much at all with careful pruning. It’s more like a Lemon Bush…

I took this shot today, but in December it was just LOADED with fruit. It has a few still that set late.

I got this one at Home Depot. But I’ve gotten other dwarfs from AAL on Jefferson. The guys really know what they are doing. Give them a call to see if they have any in stock because if you want, they also have excellent prices on large tree planters. This tree does well in a pot, but the watering has to be more frequent because it sucks up and dries out quicker.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdbpAOgvtbZ/

2 Likes

Thanks @Dommy

Tree looks nice & healthy. I’m going to get a “semi-dwarf” tree and keep it in a planter until we decide where to put it and depending on the advice from the seller. AAL on Jefferson looks close. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Made Louisiana Barbecued Shrimp for Fat Tuesday

It’s a misnomer as there is no bbq sauce and they’re not done on the grill. It’s shrimp braised in fish stock, wine (or beer), butter, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, crushed red pepper, thyme, oregano, crushed bay leaves, paprika (I used smoked), lemon juice, worcestershire sauce.

Great over rice too but I had leftover mashed taters.

Good Soppin’…

Recipe is from Toni Tipton-Martin’s fantastic book.

10 Likes

Nancy Silverton’s cover recipe from “A Twist of the Wrist”. I innovated and swapped out the dried pappardele for fresh nettle fettucine, and the radicchio for treviso. Fresh eggs from my in-laws’ chickens and it was a great meal!

7 Likes

Ube ice cream

4 Likes

Breakfast sando

8 Likes

Looks yummy - perfect ratio of filling. :slightly_smiling_face: What kind of bread and what’s the green layer?

1 Like

It’s a focaccia i made, the green stuff is a pesto from my momma there is an onion jam made with sherry and dates, mortadela 2 eggs and Gouda

3 Likes

Lovely; I would have loved to go back to sleep after this - although I had to work today in the rain. Great sandwich!!!

1 Like