Homemade fried rice

Apparently you should let your rice dry out in the refrigerator.

Uncle Rogerā€™s Fried Rice Trilogy - Gordon Ramsay this time!

2 Likes

I almost always make extra white rice so I can have fried rice for leftovers. Cool on counter for about an hour. I will fluff it up to break up the mass to cool faster. Then into a container in the fridge. Been doing it that way for years.

But I am also pretty diligent about avoiding cross contamination. Clean paddle, doesnā€™t touch anything else, etc.

4 Likes

Fried rice action at The Chairman in Hong Kong. :heart_eyes:

ezgif.com-optimize

4 Likes

uncle roger

The Little Tokyo Daikokuya chef has some pretty nice wok skillz as well, and if you sat in front of him (precovid) he even did a sprinkle of ajinomoto, aka, Uncle Roger approved seasonings.

2 Likes

A liddle?! Uncle Roger demands much more than that!

I should probably do a fried rice demo for you folks, you dont need a wok burner but you just cant cook too much at once.

If you know you want to cook fried rice Iā€™d recommend cooking a batch of rice with 80% rice to water ratio (if using Thai Jasmine rice).

Also to help it not stick to a wok (if using a carbon steel/cast iron wok, dont get me started on useless stainless steel woks) you need to start with scrambled egg into the hot oil first as the egg helps create a nonstick surface so the rice wonā€™t stick and so that you donā€™t require as much oil. While I generally like Kenji Iā€™m not a fan of his fried rice video, most Chinese chefs I know donā€™t do it like he does, first of all he overcooks his egg, second he should have scrambled the rice into the egg, third he uses way too much oil which defeats the purpose of cooking it in a high heat wok with the egg.

Iā€™ll get around to a video one of these days as Iā€™ve been meaning to create video content for our restaurant.

11 Likes

Uncle Roger already likes this future ā€œweedjoā€.

Would love to see a fried rice vid!

I really liked your pork chop (IIRC) video where you continuously moved the chop around the pan and got a really tasty-looking crust. I tried the same thing when I cooked my next ribeye. Worked great! Got an even better crust than when I copy the ā€œlet it sit still on each sideā€ technique.

1 Like

Nice tips! I have always cooked my egg 25% from the start in a thin layer of oil at high heat then set the egg off to the side to later reintroduce at the end. It flavors the oil a bit but most importantly makes the carbon steel wok pretty much non stick.

Is that how you treat the egg?

I find it produces very good results and the egg tends not to overcook not clump the rice from household burner output.

1 Like

The Hong Kong style which I believe @JLee also uses calls for dumping in all the rice into the 50% cooked egg mixture in the wok. You then begin mixing so so all the rice is coated with eggs thereby creating rice grains that are nonstick. Other styles may cook the eggs completely first.

2 Likes

its going to be something like this:

5 Likes

Love 0:57, where the ā€œumamiā€ (glutamate) is added. Uncle Roger would like. The video even recommends how the finished product should be eaten!

Would love to see a good version made in a skillet since thatā€™s what i usually use at home for fried rice