Hong Kong Rundown

I found my new Anti-Covid + Lipitor regiment :grin:

Food looks great! Sigh, its been ages since I’ve had any good dim sum.

1 Like

Dim sum at Ming Court. They opened a new branch in Wan Chai earlier this year, the original in Mong Kok has a Michelin star. Chef Tsang Chiu King is the culinary director, more about his background here.

We were lucky enough to book one of their private dining rooms (the better to stuff our faces with - in privacy!)

The menus:

Started with the Supreme Barbecued Pork Loin with Honey Sauce a.k.a. char siu. Perfection.

Chilled Cucumber and Black Fungus in Black Vinegar Sauce

Baked Chicken Pastry with Abalone A bit rich for me, but an excellent combination

Drunken Shrimp Dumpling with Bamboo Shoots This plump dumpling - with that surprise of shao xing wine - takes har gow to another level.

Deep-Fried Pastries with Australian Wagyu Beef and Black Pepper this and the previous har gow were my two favorite dim sum here. Texture and flavor on this is amazing, need to go back and have more of this.

Shredded Duck with Enoki Mushrooms in Black Truffle Paste

Prawn on Toast with Foie Gras Paste

Deep-fried Cuttlefish Cakes

Steamed Pork Dumpling with Shrimp and Conpoy

Deep-fried Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Pork a.k.a. Ham Sui Gok

Braised Chicken Wings with Aromatic Ginger Ummm the translation does not do this dish justice, soooo intensely flavorful!

Fried Rice Sizzler with Silkie Chicken, Conpoy, Wolfberries and Pine Nuts scented with Shao Xing Rice Wine

Dessert time!!! Would have done OOE but we were only 4 people.
Chilled Osmanthus Curd with Oolong Tea

Chilled Mango Cream with Sago and Pomelo

Fried Egg Twist with Syrup I usually do not like this because I find it too heavy but these were so light!

Chilled 3.6 Milk Pudding with Peach Resin and Brown Sugar in Ginger Sauce This was my favorite - haven’t had peach resin before but my friend tells me that this has surpassed bird’s nest as the collagen supplement of choice in desserts, which I wholeheartedly endorse!

All in all - so far this is the best dim sum I have had here. It’s also the most expensive, so will have to save for special occasions.

A few snippets from around town…

Sevva - quick afternoon tea…

Foie Gras with Poilâne bread

Dosas

Coconut cake

Cheese tea at Hey Tea

Cheese tea and fruit tea at Cha Long

Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Chestnuts and Quail Eggs I can smell these carts from blocks away!

7 Likes

That an exemplary dim sum luncheon! So technically beautiful.

I need to get my a$$ down to Poh Wing Hong to buy me some Prunus persica. I will never look at a peach tree the same way ever again. #savetheswallows

1 Like

I think I will also get some as well, and play around with recipes. Could be a good (and healthier) substitute for sago/boba/etc.

Dinner at Shanghai Fraternity Association (private dining club) as guests of some friends because it’s Hairy Crab season.

Typical table appetizers:

Sea cucumber and cucumber salad

Candied eels these deep fried eels coated with a sweet soy glaze were addictive, super sweet and crispy.

Sauteed crystal shrimp served with side of vinegar sauce, super fresh

Fish soup for the ABC refusing shark fin soup

Shark fin soup for everyone else

Hairy Crab aka Chinese Mitten crab. The season just began, and they are simply steamed and served with a vinegar/ginger sauce.

Hairy crab dissected and ready to eat It’s all about digging in to get that roe. A lot of work not to get very much yield, but the meat and roe were tender and super sweet. It was paired with huangjiu (Chinese wine made with cereal grain) to which was added a dried plum.

Sheng jian bao excellent version of this classic

Sesame glutinous rice balls in soup

Fried balls filled with red bean paste*

Dim sum the next day at Madame Fu’s in Tai Kwun

Menu

Snapshots from brunch, it was a lot of food! We waddled out. I like the restaurant for the decor, the great location (it’s in a restored 1860s colonial building in Central). The food is very good as well, but it is the combination of everything that makes this a favorite place to meet up with friends.

Salt and Pepper Crispy Tofu / Wood Ear Mushrooms with Chilli Oil and Shanxi Vinegar Dressing / Cucumber, Chilli and Coriander Salad with Vintage Vinegar Dressing

Peking Duck

Crystal Shrimp Dumpling and Madame Fù’s Char Siu Bao

Madame Fù’s Iberico Char Siu

Firecracker Chicken / “Impossible” Mapo Tofu

Steamed Osmanthus Fish with Chilli

11 Likes

Bumping this thread in case anyone has suggestions for a “high-end” meal. I think I’d probably want to try something western or western with asian influences, as I will be eating a lot of asian foods for all my other meals and have friends taking me to a high-end Chinese meal.

1 Like

Haven’t been but I’ve been wanting to check out Belon for a while

1 Like

VEA
Bo Innovation

Make sure to ask your friends to take you to the following genre of specialty restaurants:

• wonton noodle
  • clear broth beef brisket
  • hainan chicken
  • claypot rice
  • fish congee (Miu Kee Congee)
  • Cantonese BBQ (Kamcentre Roast Goose for their char siu, roast goose, and pipa goose)
2 Likes